M7040 HDC

/ M7040 HDC #1  

Tx Jim

Tractor
JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC
Are the brakes on a 7040 manual or hyd?

I made a deal to buy a used M7040 from a tractor dealer. Dealer is located about a 3hr drive from me and I'm disabled and don't care to ride in an automobile that far so I was going off of salesman's information. Tractor only had 777 hrs on tach and from photos & description looked very good. We agreed on a price and it was delivered. It looked as nice in person as in photos. I got in it cranked it up and drove a little way in 4th gear and tried to stop but the brake pedal went nearly to the floor and tractor slowly stopped. Air conditioner didn't work at all not even the blower. I got out and went to rear to check hyd oil but none was on the stick. I called the salesman and this what he stated "If you don't want the tractor tell my driver to load it on the trailer and bring it back. I can sell for it more than we agreed on to someone else". Long story/short story I didn't buy it.

/ M7040 HDC #2  
They are mechanical. To get they easier to use hydraulic brakes you have to go up to the M8540/9540. Or now to the M8560. I'm disabled and use a GL5040 with the glide shift. I find almost never need to use the brake here on my farm. The glide shift transmission is like it was made for us guys with bad knees. Its only 44 pto HP but if that would do what you want you could look at it.

/ M7040 HDC
Thanks for the reply. So the brake wear couldn't contaminate the hyd system with metal fines?? I was needing a 65 pto hp tractor.

/ M7040 HDC #4  
The brake material used would not hurt the hydralic system. Now if someone made it to the material that held the brake pads then you could have hydraulic contamination.

/ M7040 HDC #5  
You were wise to pass on it; doesn't sound like a dealer with whom I would want to deal anyway.

We got an M8540 with hydraulic brakes that works very easily, has a 12/12 hydro shuttle. My legs are pretty weak and I need all the help I can get.

foreman Etexas has two M7040's, with cabs, you might PM him if he doesn't show up. GWDixon also has one and a couple others

/ M7040 HDC #6  
I could have stopped by there and took a look at it,wasnt far from house(grandmother lives right by it,have stopped there many times),if its the one im thinking about the 2007 with 777hrs at the auction place?

/ M7040 HDC
Yep that's the tractor. The thought of spending that much money on a tractor that came originally from Indiana with very little oil on hyd oil dipstick,ac not blowing air of any kind and brakes not holding even at low speeds wasn't appealing to me. I already knew to install new brake disks involved R&R both rear axle housings plus at the minimum over $350 in parts plus LABOR. Only reason I could think of why brakes were worn so bad(777 hrs) was someone must have operated tractor with brake pedals locked down.

Then to make matters worse the salesman was very unconcerned.

Do either one of your M7040's have the hyd shuttle? The brief time I drove the this tractor I thought I would really like that feature over the sync-shuttle. I'm currently investigating another M7040 in Paris & another in Commerce. I'm need to trade in a M4900 cab,loader that's a 2wd with sync-shuttle.Thanks,Jim

/ M7040 HDC #8  
Tx Jim, I know you weren't addressing me, but we traded in a 80 HP Synch-Shuttle on the 85 HP Hydro-Shuttle and for me the difference is night and day. My left leg is too weak to use a clutch very much, so I always used my right foot. On the Hydro-Shuttle, I often don't even touch the foot clutch anymore and rather use the one on the steering column; took some getting use to after all of those years, but I really like it.

/ M7040 HDC
TripleR
Thanks for the reply. I too have a left leg problem well actually it's the whole left side of my body. I have nerve damage and have been disabled since '96 but I'm not ready to ""throw the towel"" in yet. I had hoped that the hyd shuttle would be easier for me to operate. My trying to unload an 18 wheeler load of hay wasn't easy. I couldn't get over how much larger the M7040 was over my M4900.Thanks again,Jim

/ M7040 HDC #10  
My left side is weak as well and I often operate the Shuttle-Shift by reaching over with my right hand which is no problem. The M Series is really easy for me to operate though not quite as easy as the L5740, but sometimes you just need a bigger tractor.

I can get in and out of the 8540 about as easily as the 5740 due to all the hand holds and wide steps.

I've had problems since 69, but they get worse with age; like you, I'm not ready to throw in the towel and am always looking at ways to stay active and productive, these modern tractors really help.

Good luck.