Tractor Sizing Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940

/ Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940 #31  
What Messick's is saying, is the L4400/4600 are built on the Grand L platform and do not have the jerky hitch.

I think I understand what he is saying. He is upset because I'm reporting something that he feels has no merit. What I'm NOT saying, is that every one of the 10's of thousands of GL30 or L4400, or L4600's have jerky hitches. However the ones I tested did. Maybe I was unlucky enough to find the only ones that Kubota built that didn't work right.
I have very limited exposure to these tractors, but the facts are the facts. The 3PH on the GL was smoother than the standard L's that I tested. I didn't test 10,000 tractors I tested four. I can't tell you why they were different, just that they were. I have nothing to gain by making this up. I wanted to buy a L4600. I liked it except for the hitch. Maybe it could have been fixed, I don't know. After reading about problems with the smaller L's and having tested one myself I wasn't willing to take a chance that the 4600 was going to give me problems.

The OP presented three tractors and asked what we thought and why. I thought the L3940 would be best and gave my reasons why. Would everyone be happy if I faled to tell him my experence with the 3PH? I never said all the tractors had a problem, just the ones I tested. Untill I read posts about jerky hitches I never would have thought to test one. Why would I? It's a new tractor, why wouldn't it work correctly?
I am not brand bashing or making up stories, from my arm chair. I am simply reporting what I found. The OP should keep this in mind and do his own test and draw his own conclusions.
Several posters report that their tractors work fine, but I haven't suggested that they are wrong! If I didn't like Kubotas I wouldn't have bought one.

Best, Bill

Last edited:
   / Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940 #32  
I purchased a new L4600 a couple of weeks ago and I am very happy with it.

Looking at the same setup - L4600HST w/loader.

Mind me asking what you got yours for? Only dealer I've stopped at so far said $26,500. Thinking that is high.

Michael

/ Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940
Thanks so much for the replies and great info! I have decided against the 4600. It is more tractor than I stated out to look for and I can't get past the made in Thailand thing. I wanted a grand l and think I will regret not getting one. For my personal comparisons, the 3240 compares to the Ford 2000 and the 3940 is close to the Ford3000. There is next to no difference between the 3240 and 3940 other than hydraulic pump flow and HP. From what I have learned here, the dealer gave good prices on these two tractors so now its up to me.

Thanks again for the help!!

/ Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940 #34  
Just as an FYI, when my wife and I were looking at the GL Series, we fell in love with the 3240 immediately, then decided why not go with a 3540. One was sitting right next to a 3940 and getting on and off them side by side we could really tell the difference.

Of course I bought a 5030 HSTC and now a L5740 HSTC, but there definitely is a difference between the 32/3540 and 3940. Now which is best for you, I just don't know, but good luck.

Just as an FYI, when my wife and I were looking at the GL Series, we fell in love with the 3240 immediately, then decided why not go with a 3540. One was sitting right next to a 3940 and getting on and off them side by side we could really tell a difference.

That is some more good info. The dealer I am dealing with did not have a 3940 in stock. Just for comparison, did you look at a 4600? Is a 3940 closer to its physical size? I also loved the 3240. Close to perfect size for what I was needing. The only other info I might ought to give is that my father is a tractor "collector"! He literally has close to 50 tractors with the largest being a jd 4020. So ii have no real need for a bigger tracttor. I am wanting one to run my 5 foot bushhog, 6 box blade, and other similar sized equipment. Also, having a tractor this size will make mowing my yard easier.

I can borrow plenty from my father and my in laws have a NH tc33(?) Tractor with a ton of implements. The 3240 is sounding better all the time..

BTW.... it gets old borrowing every time I need a tractor so I am soon to be an owner!!!!:):laughing:

/ Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940 #37  
I've not had any experiance with the 3 cylinder Kubota GL but some folks seem to think the 4 cylinders run a tad smoother. As a vetern bushogger I can tell you that you'll never feel you have "too much" horsepower coming out the hind end of your tractor when your mowing high grass. Since I assume your going the HST route I would look really close at the L3940 for the smoother engine <maybe> and the 6.5 extra horses over the L3240.. But whatever you get good luck and good mowing.

/ Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940 #38  
That is some more good info. The dealer I am dealing with did not have a 3940 in stock. Just for comparison, did you look at a 4600? Is a 3940 closer to its physical size? I also loved the 3240. Close to perfect size for what I was needing. The only other info I might ought to give is that my father is a tractor "collector"! He literally has close to 50 tractors with the largest being a jd 4020. So ii have no real need for a bigger tracttor. I am wanting one to run my 5 foot bushhog, 6 box blade, and other similar sized equipment. Also, having a tractor this size will make mowing my yard easier.

I can borrow plenty from my father and my in laws have a NH tc33(?) Tractor with a ton of implements. The 3240 is sounding better all the time..

When we were looking, the 4600 wasn't out yet and I really haven't looked at one close up, so I don't know.

We too were looking for a smaller tractor as we have 70-80+ HP tractors and needed something to fit in between them and our SCUTS. I decided on a cab due to age, allergies etc., so I wanted something to power the AC and have something left over thus the bigger engined tractor. As mentioned, we couldn't see any difference in the L3240 and L3540, so would have gone with the extra HP; never heard someone complain about a few too many HP, but have a few too little.

With easy access to other tractors, I would be hard pressed to see any real advantage to going to a L3940 though I must admit I like my horsepower.

Our two primary farms are four miles apart and I got tired of ferrying equipment between them as sometimes I will work on both the same day. Now I can often leave one at each farm and just run my truck back and forth. My brothers take care of our other farm with several other tractors; we can't seem to sell a tractor so some are 50+ years old; don't have 50 though only eleven I'm pretty sure.

/ Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940 #39  
If you are thninking about a 3940 you may want to consider a 4240 too. It is the first with the 854 loader.

/ Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940 #40  
Looking at the same setup - L4600HST w/loader.

Mind me asking what you got yours for? Only dealer I've stopped at so far said $26,500. Thinking that is high.

Michael
$26,000 with loader and rear remote. Traded in 2001 Agco ST30 in average condition and gave them $19,000 difference. I think I got a fair deal. Mahindra 5010 they wanted $21,500 difference at different dealer. Kubota is probably a better tractor.