Comparison Trying to understand value and pricing of Grand L's vs M Series

/ Trying to understand value and pricing of Grand L's vs M Series #1  

3boys865

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240HST
I am trying to understand the value and price points of the Grand L series tractors vs the M Series. For example, I have been evaluating the Grand L5040 and the M5140. I have sat on and driven both tractors and they are both great machines. What I am trying to understand is why the Grand L's are priced higher for similar HP and specifications.

Using the Build Your Kubota tool, I configured both with 4WD, R4's, and 3rd function valve. To match the M5140, I added 1 set of rear remotes to the L5040. The MSRP of the L5040 is $2,800 more than the M5140. The M5140 has most all of the same "deluxe" comfort features of the Grand L series as best I can tell. I know the HST+ is one of the biggest advantages offered on the Grand L line, but if you compare the L5040 with the GST transmission the specification between the two appear to be very close.

I know there are differences in size, maneuverability etc... both appear to be great tractors and have their intended purpose, but if you just look at cost per HP, why do you think there is such a difference? What is it about the Grand L series that seems to make their price per HP higher than the M Series?

Thoughts or ideas?

/ Trying to understand value and pricing of Grand L's vs M Series #2  
A hydrostatic transmission is much more expensive to build compared to a gear drive in the M-series. The M also lacks gearing for a mid PTO cassette. Other than that, the M5140 is a much better value tractor. They are very different machines, the M is much more utility minded, the L is a compact. I'd not want an M to work around the house, but would much prefer it in a field.

/ Trying to understand value and pricing of Grand L's vs M Series
Is the GST in the L5040 considered an HST? Does it compare to the synchro-shuttle on the 5140 or more closely to the hydro-shuttle? I did not think about the mfg to support the mid PTO, but I didn't think that was available on the L5040 but I could be wrong...

/ Trying to understand value and pricing of Grand L's vs M Series #4  

Great resource on the GST. After reading through those threads, I think it may be closer to the Hydro-Shuttle on the M5140 which would account for some of the difference in price between the L5040 and the M5140 (I calculated using the Syncro-Shuttle) but only roughly half of it. I would still think that the larger, heavier M5140 would cost more than L5040 with equal specs, not the other way around.

/ Trying to understand value and pricing of Grand L's vs M Series #6  
It really is hard to account for the difference and I really don't know how to define "value" as a tractor that doesn't fit your needs isn't more valuable than one that does no matter the cost, but I do understand your point.

We own a GL and M and there is a significant difference in frame size weight, ride etc.; both are great tractors, just in different ways.

It really is hard to account for the difference and I really don't know how to define "value" as a tractor that doesn't fit your needs isn't more valuable than one that does no matter the cost, but I do understand your point.

We own a GL and M and there is a significant difference in frame size weight, ride etc.; both are great tractors, just in different ways.

Yes, I agree totally. I wasn't really looking at it so much from a "value" stand point because like you said, that all depends on what your needs are and what is important to you. I was really just more curious as to what factors or features I may have missed that would cause the Grand L to be priced so much higher in terms of cost per HP. I guess it may just be the premium for having that much HP and capabilities in a compact frame.

TripleR, do you find that the M is significantly more stable on hills over the Grand L given that it is wider with a long wheelbase? I was somewhat concerned about the Grand L feeling a little top heavy. How do you compare the two for stability on hilly land?

/ Trying to understand value and pricing of Grand L's vs M Series #9  
Yes, I agree totally. I wasn't really looking at it so much from a "value" stand point because like you said, that all depends on what your needs are and what is important to you. I was really just more curious as to what factors or features I may have missed that would cause the Grand L to be priced so much higher in terms of cost per HP. I guess it may just be the premium for having that much HP and capabilities in a compact frame.

I know what you mean and with the configurations you are comparing, it sure is hard to see the reason for the price disparity.

I was somewhat surprised to find we paid close to the same this year for an L5740 HSTC as we did for an M8540 HDC two years ago. Only difference was three rear remotes, Top and Tilt and rear/side window defoggers.

/ Trying to understand value and pricing of Grand L's vs M Series #10  
TripleR, do you find that the M is significantly more stable on hills over the Grand L given that it is wider with a long wheelbase? I was somewhat concerned about the Grand L feeling a little top heavy. How do you compare the two for stability on hilly land?

I am much more comfortable on steep slopes with our M8540 than L5740 and go places with the 8540 I won't with the 5740. How much real difference in stability, I just don't know and am going by "feel", my son says the same thing.

EDIT: You might want to PM foreman Etexas as he recently traded his M5040 in on a M7040 to maybe get an idea on the differences in the smaller and larger M as my only experience is with the M8540.

Last edited: