Thinking about buying a used M5700 here in Australia

/ Thinking about buying a used M5700 here in Australia #1  

Popsoldman

Tractor
Kubota
Hi All.
I have been offered a Kubota M5700 for 20K by a neighbour, he says its only done around 1500 hrs but given its age (probably built around 2003) i would think its done a fair bit more than that. It comes with a forklift attachment on the front (i think it was used on a winery previously) Its 4wd and comes with a hydraulic manifold with extra lines to run external equipment. I was thinking of starting a slashing business as I live in a rural area with a lot of large hobby farms, so I was wondering id the price was ok and if this is a suitable unit for comercial use ? any hints ?.

/ Thinking about buying a used M5700 here in Australia #2  
Hiya

If your familiar with finding faults and repairing hydraulics and diesels then yes. Remember that as a business, clients will expect you to turn up when contracted so you must ave a reliable machine. You will need to allow a certain amount per year for maintenance and repair costs. And you will need to budget into your price a replacement i.e. it needs to be depreciated and that is a real cost. If however this business has a reasonable prospect of being profitable consider borrowing and purchasing new. Your loan costs would be fully deductible. You should have a chat with your accountant. Sorry I can't help on if that is a good price or not, but at least its not too much. Just like any car - drive it and listen to it, have a good look at the engine and all hoses for leaks and things, oil stains etc.

Mike
Central West, NSW

/ Thinking about buying a used M5700 here in Australia #3  
Popsoldman
I just sold a M4900 2002 model 2WD(next size smaller) 1700 hrs with cab/ac & Kubota frt end loader. both models have a 5 cyl engine for $16K. You could look in Fastline &/or Tractorhouse for tractor asking prices.

/ Thinking about buying a used M5700 here in Australia #4  
Check out the market/client potential & do your sums carefully (& as per previous reponses,talk with an accountant ).

A KubM5700 @c. 50PTO HP is IMO too light for commercial HD slashing (particularly on hobby farms where cutting will be most likely sporadic & varied heights) - For commercial unit I'd be looking more towards the 70-90HP range (which has the added advantage in used, of being more of a "buyers market" because hobby farmers generally consider them too 'big' to buy & therefore don't create additional demand to artifically inflate the used prices)

Maybe something along the lines of this link if your heart is set on a Kubota in the c.$20k range ( roughly same hours, right power range, larger & heavy duty with more usuable working gears than a M5700, & also looks to have an A/C Cab which is big comfort + when slashing for hours on end.........), purely an example to illustrate what's available for the c.$20K & with some negotiation should be able to parked in shed for c$17K, though I stress I have absolutely no knowledge good/bad or otherwise of this specfic unit:-
http://www.farmmachinerysales.com.a...llpartial&Cr=8&__Ntt=kubota&trecs=201&__Qpb=1

farmmachinerysales.com.au will give you a broad "ball park" idea of general local Aussie used tractor prices

You'll also need to factor in the purchase of commercial quality slasher (New @ c.$7K+ or S/H @ c.3K+) into your business equation.....transport costs are also another consideration, as standard ag tractor tyres wear expontentially with regular road running + insurance/rego costs.....etc.

When buying S/H low hours is fine, but more importantly judge hours relative to the overall tractor condition - hour meters are merely indicative of use &,can be stopped/replaced easily. And, even if you know, ask the owner to show you where to check all the filters, fluids/lubricant points, it's a sure thing if he doesn't know the tractor has had scant maintenance..... use of correct coolant is also a good indicator.......similarly a fresh paint job can hide a multitude of sins.......& much panel damage is usually a sign the tractor has been abused.

Tractors if properly maintained/serviced (look for records/receipts of servicing & parts replacements ) & used within their size capabilities should be ok for 4000-5000hrs easily (& many more hours) without major rebuilds - I've had sub100HP's achiev3 6500+ & still going strong, I've also bought s/h "good" 150hp+ tractors with over 7500hrs, conversely I've seen new tractors trashed by "weekend" amateurs at less than 1500hrs......

I'd also advise extremely caution on buying any tractor fitted with a dedicated forklift -the unit you're considering could be ok - but it usually means a history of abuse through: -
1.. Gearbox/driveline: due to high frequency of short shuttles back & forth
2. Engine: lots of short runs @ below operating temps resulting in premature engine wear
3. Overloading of front axle & casting fatigue:- the Forklift frame usually places forces in excess of what the front axle is designed to handle & can also fracture/fatigure castings such as around the gearbox/bellhousing (oil leaks & replaced or loose bolts is an initial indicator) through "flexing" the tractor under excess load.
4. Hydraulics: high/constant demands on hyd pump to lift & operators "slamming" valves up/down
And a forkilift is nothing but a pain/hazard because of the increased height when contracting slashing, so it has no value (nor on the s/h market if trying recover funds by selling separately)

Not trying to dissuade you from starting a business...... just provide a few insights from 'experience'

/ Thinking about buying a used M5700 here in Australia
Hi guys.
Thanks for the feed ack, you have all been very very helpful, i think I will keep looking !!

/ Thinking about buying a used M5700 here in Australia #6  
You might also want to check this link, often has a few private sale "bargains" -
Tractors

Apart from considering brands like Kubota's, Case, NH ...etc, for mainly slashingmowing IMO Deutz is one of the best tractors around (for ergonomics, comfort ,fuel efficiency relative to power, ease of use, transit speed, ride ...etc.)