Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 7720; Kubota M135GX, NH TS115A; JD 6230; Kubota L5740

Default Solution to frequent radiator plugging Grand L

Does anybody know how to keep their coolers from plugging quickly? Sunday afternoon I cut some grass and brush for the last time this year. I cleaned the radiator and air conditioner screens well before cutting. I worked about 3 hours and really didn't see dust in the air but the next morning when I checked the screens were over half covered, and a lot of trash made it past the screens so all 3 cores were plugged. I blew them all out, then went disking. I only had about 6 acres to cover, about 1 hour, but before I finished I noticed the temp gauge had crept up from 4 bars to 5 bars. Sure enough both screens and the cores were again filled half way up although I was disking ground that had Beene plowed, then disked three times before. I wish the screens would keep the cores clean but they don't appear to do much although it TSC easy to blow out the dirt which consists of plant material, not soil. When I clean it out I make sure to clean the stuff I blew out of the cores out of the space in front so it doesn't get sucked back in. Has anyone tried blocking the lower part of the grill to see if that helps? I thought of taking a saber saw to the hood and cutting a hole there, adding a screen to it, and blocking off all of the lower grill openings because they always seem to be cornered with plant material.
    JD7720; KubotaM135GX; NH TS115A; JD6230; KubotaL5740

Tractor
    MF 1440-4 PowerShuttle

Default Re: Solution to frequent radiator plugging Grand L

In very dusty conditions I have taken the grill out and covered it with pantyhose. It would filter out a lot of the dust and it was easier to clean than the factory screen. I would keep a small hand brush with me to sweep the pantyhoses off with.

Tractor
    Kubota 5030HSTC

I had the same problem while shredding. Had to go back to house to wash out radiator because of overheating....about every 3 hours.
    I have not yet found an answer.....am short of pantyhose at the moment.....don't know, might help, it's an idea
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

Tractor
    New Holland TC35D, Case TR320 CTL

It's a problem with all of the newer style close-fin radiators. Back in the day the fins had more space between them and it wasn't as much of a problem, but the radiators were larger too. The efficiency of the fin design keeps the radiator size smaller (for those pretty sloping hoods, etc.) but they plug up quicker. Like you found out, in heavy conditions about 3 hours is all your going to get before you have to clean things out. I found out the hard way (at the 5 hour mark) and split a radiator seam wide open on my NH. It wasn't inexpensive to replace!
    John

My Work & Stuff Photo Thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/p...to-thread.html

Reshaping the world...One bucket-load at a time.

Tractor
    Kubota 5030HSTC

Dang, that would really leave you steamed!!

Good explanation. Didn't realize fin spacing had changed over time.

Quote Originally Posted by RDrancher View Post
    It's a problem with all of the newer style close-fin radiators. Back in the day the fins had more space between them and it wasn't as much of a problem, but the radiators were larger too. The efficiency of the fin design keeps the radiator size smaller (for those pretty sloping hoods, etc.) but they plug up quicker. Like you found out, in heavy conditions about 3 hours is all your going to get before you have to clean things out. I found out the hard way (at the 5 hour mark) and split a radiator seam wide open on my NH. It wasn't inexpensive to replace!
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

Tractor
    05 Kioti CK30HST w/ Prairie Dog backhoe

I have heard of reverse-flow fans. Has anyone tried that? I have not.
    See my TBN projects at:
    http://mysite.verizon.net/resyfcgt/

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4600HST w/loader

Quote Originally Posted by dfkrug View Post
    I have heard of reverse-flow fans. Has anyone tried that? I have not.
    I would think a reverse flow fan will just plug the radiator or screen from the other side. If air can get to the radiator so can chaff, dirt and dust.
    2012 Kubota L4600HST w/loader
    "orange chews up the green"

Tractor
    Kubota L3540 Cab

I think I'm going to go out and check mine after 4 hours of bush hogging.

Tractor
    JD 7720; Kubota M135GX, NH TS115A; JD 6230; Kubota L5740

Wider fin spacing is an answer but you are right, the radiator size has to increase. On combines we used 4 1/2 fins per inch to allow chaff to go through but the radiator was not in the operator's view. I believe my radiator is about 8 fins per inch, good for a lot of cooling in a small package but bad for trash clearance. The pantyhose is something I will try as soon as I get them off.
    JD7720; KubotaM135GX; NH TS115A; JD6230; KubotaL5740

Tractor
    Kubota L3940 Ford 8N Ford 6000

Mine would clog about every 1 hour bush hogging in this stuff. I would let it run up to 7 bars, then disconnect pto. By the time I got back to barn (little load on engine), bars would be down to 5 or 6. Clean screen, then go back at it again. Pusher fan is no good, would just clog back side where there is no screen. Pusher fan will also heat up faster because it will pick up heat off of engine and muffler. Philip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solution to frequent radiator plugging Grand L-bushhog3.jpg  
    Kubota L3940HST-1 2009
    84" front blade
    LA724 loader w/quick attach
    HD 72" round back bucket
    turf tires
    Kubota GR2120 2013
    Ford 8N 1950
    Ford 6000 diesel 1961
    JD L110 2003
    Woods RD7200 finish mower, Land Pride RCR1272 rotary cutter, Bearcat CH5540 5" chipper, L8170 ballast box, 6' Woods pulverizer, 6' Dragon box scrapper with hydraulic rippers, 14" 2 bottom plow, sub-soiler, post hole auger, 3 point pallet forks, 30" rear scoop, 7' Land Pride RB1584 rear blade, 3 point boom pole

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast