New M9540HD12-1

/ New M9540HD12-1 #21  
Looks good, just like some one else's tractor I know. Oh yeah, mine! I've just made my first (yearly) payment on it. Ouch!

Mine is just like yours 12 speed, 2 rear remotes plus 3rd function, horizontal exhaust, tires filled and cast wheels.

The only difference is I have two sets of rear weights, canopy and a different bracket to hold the brush guard on.

Have you ever driven any other tractor of their size that just keeps on pulling like these do?

One thing to watch while using the grapple. I had a stick poke up from the bottom and break my fan belt. Was able to match it up at the parts store for 1/3 of what Kubota wanted (actually they didn't even have one in stock anyway) but still meant an hour of down time. :(

Good luck with your new tractor!

/ New M9540HD12-1 #22  
Great write up on your new tractor. That is quite an upgrade from your L4400! What made you decide to skip the 7040 frame size and go to the next one up? Was it PTO power or lift capacity?

How do you find the maneuverability in the woods?

Im also jealous of the guys with cabs. :)

/ New M9540HD12-1 #23  
is the frame on the 8540 a larger frame then my 7040su and still trying to figure out what it wieghts i have 1153 fel shuddle shift open station cast center 30x 16.9 in the rear also loaded with antifreeze 24 x 9.5 in front
yes, the frame of the 85/9540 is wider, longer, heavier than the M50/60/70 series. (noticed the smoother ride right away) basically a bigger machine all around with (imho) more sophisticated options like the hyd brakes, trans lock e brake, and 6 speed/ increased 3 pt. lifting capacity. guess the most accurate weight differential between the two models would be on K website. having owned the 7040 and now 8540 there is no comparison for me. good luck

/ New M9540HD12-1
is the frame on the 8540 a larger frame then my 7040su and still trying to figure out what it wieghts i have 1153 fel shuddle shift open station cast center 30x 16.9 in the rear also loaded with antifreeze 24 x 9.5 in front

Yes, the chassis of the 8540/9540 is larger than your 7040.

I guessed my tractor weight by using the owner's manual specifications and then adding the things I had done and was very close to the actual weight. If you look at the specifications in the tractor's manual it will give you a weight. It will also quote how much weight is added with cast centers. Then look at the specifications in the loader's manual and it will give you a weight, and the weight of your bucket, depending on what you have. I used windshield washer fluid in my rears so it was easy to figure how much weight was added there. All together I was only off by a 100 lbs compared to actual weight of equipped tractor.

More than the overall weight of the tractor, I was most interested in how the weight was distributed. Was shocked that it was 51% front/49% rear. With cast centers and fluid I have added 2000 lbs to the rear of my tractor. If I hadn't added that weight it would have been 66% front/34% rear!!!

I've owned three Kubota tractors. All three were very, very light in the rear before I added fluid and weights. :eek:

/ New M9540HD12-1
Looks good, just like some one else's tractor I know. Oh yeah, mine! I've just made my first (yearly) payment on it. Ouch!

Mine is just like yours 12 speed, 2 rear remotes plus 3rd function, horizontal exhaust, tires filled and cast wheels.

The only difference is I have two sets of rear weights, canopy and a different bracket to hold the brush guard on.

Have you ever driven any other tractor of their size that just keeps on pulling like these do?

One thing to watch while using the grapple. I had a stick poke up from the bottom and break my fan belt. Was able to match it up at the parts store for 1/3 of what Kubota wanted (actually they didn't even have one in stock anyway) but still meant an hour of down time. :(

Good luck with your new tractor!

The first tillage implement I pulled was a 12' chisel. I had enough HP but lacked traction. Was chiseling an old fencerow after I had removed all the trees and stumps. Got it done, but it was slow. Then I pulled a 14' springtooth harrow. No problems there at all.

When I put my loader up against something I am very cautious and gentle with the push. Never a HP issue and gets very good traction. The other thing I noticed, when you lift the 3pt, something is going to happen. I'm using a Big Rhino rear blade and could easily tear it up .

I'm always cautious with the grapple. Before I used mine on this tractor I reinforced and shielded the grill guard. I've also built metal guards under each end of the radiator. Even with all that protection it's still possible to get a stick in the wrong place as you found out!!! :)

/ New M9540HD12-1
Great write up on your new tractor. That is quite an upgrade from your L4400! What made you decide to skip the 7040 frame size and go to the next one up? Was it PTO power or lift capacity?

How do you find the maneuverability in the woods?

Im also jealous of the guys with cabs. :)

It was actually tire size. At first I dismissed the 9540 as being too big for timber work. What I did not like about the 7040 was the much smaller front tires. Then the more I looked the more I realized how much more tractor you get with the 8540/9540 size. Especially tire size.

That's what got me looking at the NH T4000 series. Bigger tire size. Then realized the 8540/9540 Kubota was just slightly taller than the T4000 tractors. After a failed deal on a NH, I was back to looking for a Kubota. I had to go 400 miles to get my 9540. I found only one open station, 12 speed 9540 in the Midwest. Only found one open station 8540 near me, it was in Southern Missouri down by TripleR.

After 100 hours I don't consider the M9540 as a big tractor at all. It's very stable on steep terrain and extremely nimble for it's size. It was easy to learn it's footprint size and now the tires are always right where I expect them to be. Most of my use is in steep timber, on the edge of deep ravines. This tractor handles that environment better than the L4400 did. Mostly due to it's much larger front tires, better articulation in the front axle and front differential limit slip.

As for the cab, I hate to admit jealousy.... ;) I simply cannot use a cab. I'd have the windows busted out of it the first day.

/ New M9540HD12-1 #27  
My only disappointment with the transmission is the 6 speed shifter. It's cable operated and sometimes doesn't smoothly go into gear, especially when changing on the go.

totally right. thats one of the things that was fixed on the new 60-series. its linkage now rather than cables.... but I'd still grab an 9540 given the cost difference.

/ New M9540HD12-1
yes, the frame of the 85/9540 is wider, longer, heavier than the M50/60/70 series. (noticed the smoother ride right away) basically a bigger machine all around with (imho) more sophisticated options like the hyd brakes, trans lock e brake, and 6 speed/ increased 3 pt. lifting capacity. guess the most accurate weight differential between the two models would be on K website. having owned the 7040 and now 8540 there is no comparison for me. good luck

Shouldda read down to Bubba's response before I made mine. Very well stated. :thumbsup:

/ New M9540HD12-1
totally right. thats one of the things that was fixed on the new 60-series. its linkage now rather than cables.... but I'd still grab an 9540 given the cost difference.

Yep, the cost difference was what had me searching everywhere trying to find a 40 series. I had three dealers close to me looking. None of the dealers that had an 8540 or 9540 on their lots would dealer trade. So I had to drive 400 miles to one of the dealers that had one in stock to make my purchase. I didn't know they had went to linkage on the shifter as I haven't saw a 60 series. But I did notice on the website that the 60 series integrated the park brake lever and shifter lever into one. I liked that idea. It's slightly awkward to use one lever to put the tranny in neutral then have to grab a second lever to engage the park brake.

/ New M9540HD12-1 #30  
It was actually tire size. At first I dismissed the 9540 as being too big for timber work.

As for the cab, I hate to admit jealousy.... ;) I simply cannot use a cab. I'd have the windows busted out of it the first day.

We have put our M8540, same tractor as the M9540, in places I would not have believed possible. Long story, but I actually mowed my oldest sons yard once this year with ours and a 10' rotary cutter; wife then trimmed it up with our BX. It turns really sharp and is just a really nimble tractor. It replaced a Case CX80, so we were use to the size; really great tractors in my opinion at least for what we do.

I LOVE our cab tractors, but accept their limitations especially in the woods. My ideal setup, when I could still run open station geared non hydro tractors, was the cab tractor along with our 72 HP Massey Ferguson open station. I blazed a lot of trails and pulled quite a few trees with that Massey Ferguson without having to worry about busted lights, broken mirrors etc.