New M9540HD12-1

/ New M9540HD12-1 #31  
ovrszd,

I really like the way you have customized your tractor to suit your needs.

They all look to be well thought out as well as built.

Glad you are enjoying it. :thumbsup:

/ New M9540HD12-1 #32  
What did you do as far as implements? Did you trade all your old ones in for all newer implements? I like how wide of a stance you can get for increased stability but of course then the 6' implements common to the L series tractors won't cover your tracks anymore.

/ New M9540HD12-1 #33  
ovrszd said:
It was actually tire size. At first I dismissed the 9540 as being too big for timber work. What I did not like about the 7040 was the much smaller front tires. Then the more I looked the more I realized how much more tractor you get with the 8540/9540 size. Especially tire size.

That's what got me looking at the NH T4000 series. Bigger tire size. Then realized the 8540/9540 Kubota was just slightly taller than the T4000 tractors. After a failed deal on a NH, I was back to looking for a Kubota. I had to go 400 miles to get my 9540.

I was under the impression that the T4000 series were closer in size to the smaller M series (6040/7040) than they were to the 8540/9540 tractors? Or are the T4000 closer in size to the
9540?

As a side note regarding my impressions of tractor size, I recently drove to upstate NY to pick up a Brown rotary cutter, while I was there I used the guys NH TD80 and really liked the
Bigger tractor. I also couldn't help but notice just how BIG a lot of those tractors are out there. It's funny when sometimes I think of an M7040 or a high HP compact as a good sized tractor. Looking around the farms up there I didn't see a single CUT on my entire ride!

/ New M9540HD12-1 #34  
I was under the impression that the T4000 series were closer in size to the smaller M series (6040/7040) than they were to the 8540/9540 tractors? Or are the T4000 closer in size to the
9540?

As a side note regarding my impressions of tractor size, I recently drove to upstate NY to pick up a Brown rotary cutter, while I was there I used the guys NH TD80 and really liked the
Bigger tractor. I also couldn't help but notice just how BIG a lot of those tractors are out there. It's funny when sometimes I think of an M7040 or a high HP compact as a good sized tractor. Looking around the farms up there I didn't see a single CUT on my entire ride!

It seems to be different here, as most farmers are using 7000, 8000 and 9000 Series or their equivalent, I am seeing more CUT's at farm shops. Our renters use a JD4610 and a large farmer a few miles down the road just got a new JD CUT. I see them being transported between farms on trailer quite often with ditcher, blades etc., lots quicker and cheaper than running a full size tractor around.

/ New M9540HD12-1
What did you do as far as implements? Did you trade all your old ones in for all newer implements? I like how wide of a stance you can get for increased stability but of course then the 6' implements common to the L series tractors won't cover your tracks anymore.

Good point about implements. That's the issue with changing tractor size. There are hidden costs because of having to change implements. I started with a B2910 Kubota, lost it in a fire and replaced with the L4400, outgrew it because of land ownership changes and now am in an M series.

I never trade implements at a dealer. I figure he already is making a profit on me with the price of the new one. If I trade I just allowed him to make money again when he sells my used one. With the Internet you can easily shop for used equipment without burning $4.00 diesel fuel in my truck. My goal is always to buy used and buy from an individual. There's always someone out there like me that's stepped up in size or because of operation changes is selling their equipment.

The first hours I put on the 9540 were pulling my 6' cutter that I used on the 4400. Needless to say, I'm shopping for a cutter. I am looking for an 8' double spindle. That keeps my width and length where I can still get around in the timber. My rears measure 7.5' outside so an 8' will work great.

/ New M9540HD12-1
9540?

Physical size they are very similar to the 9540 but are heavier. They are a discontinued series and are replaced with the "4." series, 4.75, 4.85, etc. The new series are lighter and taller. The NH dealer I was working with said his customers are complaining because the new series won't fit in their poultry houses because of the height gain. They are also Tier IV. Everyone is buying up the 4000 series to avoid that. I struggled to find a new 4000 series and even had a hard time finding a good, low hour used one. But I would be driving blue now if I could have.

/ New M9540HD12-1 #37  
Physical size they are very similar to the 9540 but are heavier. They are a discontinued series and are replaced with the "4." series, 4.75, 4.85, etc. The new series are lighter and taller. The NH dealer I was working with said his customers are complaining because the new series won't fit in their poultry houses because of the height gain. They are also Tier IV. Everyone is buying up the 4000 series to avoid that. I struggled to find a new 4000 series and even had a hard time finding a good, low hour used one. But I would be driving blue now if I could have.

Why do you need such a big tractor for working in timber? How big are your trees? I don't see anywhere on here much mention of dirt work where your big tractor would be useful. Just curious?

/ New M9540HD12-1
Why do you need such a big tractor for working in timber? How big are your trees? I don't see anywhere on here much mention of dirt work where your big tractor would be useful. Just curious?

That's a fair question and I'll try to explain. I started with a B model and immediately outgrew it. I then went to an L model. I was often unable to do the tasks I was attempting because the tractor either could not handle the weight, was stuck because of the small front tire in a ditch, or struggled severely. So I would have to adjust the plan, split the load, or attack from a different angle. After three years of use I was asked if I would sell the L tractor. I priced it for $2000 less than I gave for it new and it sold. At the same time the amount of land I maintain went up by 5 times. I decided I was not going to go thru the buy/sell process again because of buying too small. I have solved that problem.

I worked my L4400 very hard. It served me well. The only fair comparison between the L4400 and the M9540 is their color. The productivity and limitations are so much higher with the M9540. A couple days ago my Brother and I were loader hauling dirt to fill a large washout at the edge of a field. He worked his L3240 hard but in the end I moved four times as much dirt, all at an idle. His was constantly at open throttle, spinning, clawing, and struggling at the dirt pile to get a bucket full, then bouncing his way across the field to the washout. I can fill my bucket with one push, dirt coming over the top, and idle my way to the dump site comfortably. Again, there's just no comparison.

The size of the 9540 rarely limits what I can do with it in the timber but the productivity is unmatched by the L4400. The ROPS height difference is rarely an issue. The rear tire width is 18" wider, which is only 9" on each side. Rarely was I driving between two trees in the timber that I only missed by 9". The capacity of the loader is at least 50% higher. I rarely block firewood on the ground now. I fall a tree, grab it with the grappler and hold it at waist height to top and block. If cutting large trees (2ft diameter or bigger) I can carry the logs out of the timber versus dragging them with the L series. Clearing small trees I can now dig them up with the loader in the same time it would take me to get the chainsaw going and cut them, but now I don't have a stump left to deal with.

If your L4240 completes every task you ask of it, you are a lucky man. If at some time your needs increase beyond it's ability, then you'll face what I've faced and have to make a decision. My decision was to increase productivity. Hope I didn't bore you with my explanation. :)

/ New M9540HD12-1 #39  
Ovrszd,
The way you described the reasons for your upgrade is exactly the reasons I'm looking at an upgrade. You stated it pretty much perfectly. I'm in a similar situation as you were, I have an L4610 and do a lot of timber work. I do fairly often find myself either struggling with not enough power (mostly lift capacity) or working my tractor to the max. I much prefer to baby a larger piece of equipment than to max out the capabilities of something just barely big enough, and sometimes not big enough. I do a lot of work with logs too big to pick up, and cutting them in half to make them lighter is not an option.

The example you gave about you and your brother both moving dirt is an excellent example of why it's worth upgrading. I originally thought that when I bought my tractor is was overkill for what I do. I was originally going to buy a B series, thank god I didn't! Not only is my tractor not overkill, but it's actually underkill, however, it does still do the majority of what I ask of it.

I'm glad you put the size into perspective saying that an extra 9" on each side of the tractor rarely limits where you can go in the woods. The way I look at it, if it does limit you every once in a while, then one of those two trees will be coming down! :laughing:

Just as soon as I'm in a position to upgrade (not in the cards right now with building a new house,) I am going to do so for pretty much the exact reasons you stated.

Well said!

/ New M9540HD12-1 #40  
Nice write up,and photos overszd... I put the 8540/9540 front tires on my new 7040 and have alittle over 200hrs with them on and I guess only more time will tell if it does any harm but they are so much better than the skinneys it comes with...
7040 Kubota / Vicon cutter - YouTube