New M9540HD12-1

/ New M9540HD12-1
Ovrszd,
The way you described the reasons for your upgrade is exactly the reasons I'm looking at an upgrade. You stated it pretty much perfectly. I'm in a similar situation as you were, I have an L4610 and do a lot of timber work. I do fairly often find myself either struggling with not enough power (mostly lift capacity) or working my tractor to the max. I much prefer to baby a larger piece of equipment than to max out the capabilities of something just barely big enough, and sometimes not big enough. I do a lot of work with logs too big to pick up, and cutting them in half to make them lighter is not an option.

The example you gave about you and your brother both moving dirt is an excellent example of why it's worth upgrading. I originally thought that when I bought my tractor is was overkill for what I do. I was originally going to buy a B series, thank god I didn't! Not only is my tractor not overkill, but it's actually underkill, however, it does still do the majority of what I ask of it.

I'm glad you put the size into perspective saying that an extra 9" on each side of the tractor rarely limits where you can go in the woods. The way I look at it, if it does limit you every once in a while, then one of those two trees will be coming down! :laughing:

Just as soon as I'm in a position to upgrade (not in the cards right now with building a new house,) I am going to do so for pretty much the exact reasons you stated.

Well said!

Yeah, sounds like you are where I was. I really liked my L4400 and consider it to be very dependable and durable. But sometimes in the evening I would reflect on the work of the day and actually feel sorry for that tractor. It never complained, even when towing logs out of the timber with the front tires a foot off the ground!!! It has a lot easier life with the new owner who just does light loader work and rotary cutting with a 6' cutter. My M9540 has an easy life doing my chores. So it's a win/win for everyone.

In my answer to R_Walter I should have referenced TripleR. He has an L5740 which is basically the same chassis as R_Walter's L4240 and he has an M8540. I think he could give a very good explanation of the differences and the plus/minus of each.

Oh, and just for comment, my wife still says the M9540 is "just so big".... And I reply "yeah, ain't it cool"!!! :thumbsup:

/ New M9540HD12-1
Nice write up,and photos overszd... I put the 8540/9540 front tires on my new 7040 and have alittle over 200hrs with them on and I guess only more time will tell if it does any harm but they are so much better than the skinneys it comes with...
7040 Kubota / Vicon cutter - YouTube

Nice video!!!

I've heard of others changing tire size. The 8540 comes with 11.2x24 fronts. the 9540 comes with 12.4x24 fronts. Not sure which you chose. The only thing I would consider is that if you only changed the front, you have changed the gear ratio between the two axles. That might cause some binding when in 4wd on good traction. The front axle is going to be geared faster than the rear. If you changed front and rear that wouldn't happen.

The first time I walked up to a 7040 I was turned off by the small skinny front tires. I never thought about changing sizes.

Triple R bought his 8540 with the bigger 9540 tires installed. I never thought about that either. Not sure what it cost him to do but was surely cheaper than the difference in cost between the two models.

/ New M9540HD12-1 #43  
11.2x24 is what I went with and rears are 30's(ones it came with). I had to pay $900 for the new rims and tires(front only),but keep the ones that came on it..

This is my other with the stock front tires,the rides are way different and the difference from doing loader work with both...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMe5x1Y1fH0&feature=player_detailpage#t=2s

/ New M9540HD12-1 #44  
Nice video!!!

I've heard of others changing tire size. The 8540 comes with 11.2x24 fronts. the 9540 comes with 12.4x24 fronts. Not sure which you chose. The only thing I would consider is that if you only changed the front, you have changed the gear ratio between the two axles. That might cause some binding when in 4wd on good traction. The front axle is going to be geared faster than the rear. If you changed front and rear that wouldn't happen.

The first time I walked up to a 7040 I was turned off by the small skinny front tires. I never thought about changing sizes.

Triple R bought his 8540 with the bigger 9540 tires installed. I never thought about that either. Not sure what it cost him to do but was surely cheaper than the difference in cost between the two models.

Our dealer orders all of the M8540s with the bigger M9540 tires, so I didn't even check the difference in price. I had to have a tractor as our old one went toes up and the one I bought came the closest to what I wanted. It would have taken six weeks to get one exactly like I wanted. I wanted but didn't get an air ride seat, cast wheel centers, block hookup for FEL. Everything works well enough I really don't miss anything I didn't get.

/ New M9540HD12-1 #45  
A couple days ago my Brother and I were loader hauling dirt to fill a large washout at the edge of a field. He worked his L3240 hard but in the end I moved four times as much dirt, all at an idle. His was constantly at open throttle, spinning, clawing, and struggling at the dirt pile to get a bucket full, then bouncing his way across the field to the washout. I can fill my bucket with one push, dirt coming over the top, and idle my way to the dump site comfortably. Again, there's just no comparison. :)

I have a dump truck which I use to move dirt any distance. A tractor is not the right piece of equipment to move dirt across a field unless it's a very small field. Just sayin. I fill the dump truck with a Komatsu wheeled front loader.

/ New M9540HD12-1
I have a dump truck which I use to move dirt any distance. A tractor is not the right piece of equipment to move dirt across a field unless it's a very small field. Just sayin. I fill the dump truck with a Komatsu wheeled front loader.

Not only are you Blessed with the right tractor, you also have a Dump Truck and a Komatsu wheeled loader. You are a lucky guy for sure!!! I on the other hand am stuck with using what I got.

/ New M9540HD12-1 #47  
Not only are you Blessed with the right tractor, you also have a Dump Truck and a Komatsu wheeled loader. You are a lucky guy for sure!!! I on the other hand am stuck with using what I got.

Same here, we have a dump truck, but it won't go most of the places we need dirt, so we use what we have for what works best and that is most often a couple of tractors and sometimes just one.

/ New M9540HD12-1 #48  
I recently bought another attachment for my tractor, and unfortunately I couldn't go to pick it up, so I had my dad pick it up for me. To load it, he used the guys cab M9540 tractor. My dad was so impressed with that tractor and kept telling me how much I would love it. I was kicking myself for not being able to make the trip, as I could have driven it around for a bit!
I told him about this thread and told him to check it out for some good pics. He kept saying how nice of a tractor it was, and said he's jealous of you guys with one :D

/ New M9540HD12-1
Same here, we have a dump truck, but it won't go most of the places we need dirt, so we use what we have for what works best and that is most often a couple of tractors and sometimes just one.

I've built a camp area in our timber with a rocked fire pit, a 20x36 shelter and a toilet. I wanted sand for the shelter floor. So while it's dry I road the tractor about 1/2 mile to the creek where I can drive onto a large sandbar and get a bucket full. Then haul it back up the hill to the campground. Slow but steady. Now have a huge pile of sand for future projects. Good tractor time which for me is good for the Soul.... :)

/ New M9540HD12-1
I recently bought another attachment for my tractor, and unfortunately I couldn't go to pick it up, so I had my dad pick it up for me. To load it, he used the guys cab M9540 tractor. My dad was so impressed with that tractor and kept telling me how much I would love it. I was kicking myself for not being able to make the trip, as I could have driven it around for a bit!
I told him about this thread and told him to check it out for some good pics. He kept saying how nice of a tractor it was, and said he's jealous of you guys with one :D

I try to write a review with an open mind. I have no intentions of convincing anyone that my tractor is "the best". I try to shoot good photos the same way. There is a vast sea of information on this website, most written and posted the same way. I've gotten more good information from this website than I've contributed. I'm glad you and your Dad enjoy the thread.

I've got more pics to post but left my camera on the tractor at the farm, I'll try to get them posted this weekend. Got some pics of grapple use for TripleR. :)