Buying Advice Buying L4600 & stuff!

/ Buying L4600 & stuff! #21  
Thanks Ace3!

I saved up and am paying cash for my tractor, the box blade and grapple are over budget at the moment. I thought about financing, 0% is attractive, but after getting all the details it doesn't seem like 0 to me. I wouldn't get the $2000 off for cash, plus there are nearly $400 in fees (not counting insurance which I'll do either way). So the way I see it, financing really costs me at least $2400, it's not 0.

I am getting the 3rd function valve and three remotes now though.
Smart Lady!!! :thumbsup:

/ Buying L4600 & stuff! #22  
Thanks Ace3!

I saved up and am paying cash for my tractor, the box blade and grapple are over budget at the moment. I thought about financing, 0% is attractive, but after getting all the details it doesn't seem like 0 to me. I wouldn't get the $2000 off for cash, plus there are nearly $400 in fees (not counting insurance which I'll do either way). So the way I see it, financing really costs me at least $2400, it's not 0.

I am getting the 3rd function valve and three remotes now though.

Get 2 of the rear remotes with the float function.

/ Buying L4600 & stuff! #23  
MtnViewRanch said:
Get 2 of the rear remotes with the float function.

I'll second that.

/ Buying L4600 & stuff! #24  
You are right, you do actually pay for "free" financing.
Good move on getting 3 remotes. You'll use all of them!
2 of course will be tied up with the top n tilt system that you don't know you need yet. :)

/ Buying L4600 & stuff! #25  
storii knows that "there is no such thing as a free lunch!"

/ Buying L4600 & stuff! #26  
Sounds like you're well on your way to tractor ownership. There'll be a few times you may wish you had the HST tranny, like when you bang your left knee up and it really HURTS to hold the clutch in (been there), and then there'll be times when you hear that diesel come back to a sweet idle every time you take your foot off the throttle (done that and still smiling). I like my DT 95% of the time, so that tells me I made the right choice for me.
I don't think the L4600DT has a synchronized transmission, so if you don't already know how, you'll be learning how to double-clutch to shift smoothly on the fly, and learning to leave the clutch depressed to let the gears spin down for a few seconds before shifting into gear from neutral (no grinding).

Yeah.. I AM gonna take the opportunity to welcome you into the Real Tractor Owner's Association (secret handshake info is in the mail ;) ) and pull the tail on the Ol' Ladies HST Tractor Association members we have here. I'll pay dearly for that poke, you realize.

A rear blade with power angle and skid shoes (since you now have rear remotes !) is handy for snow removal, the bucket will do it but it's not that neat and tidy, neither is it efficient. I don't have a box blade, so I can't comment on them. If you do get a rear blade, get at least a 7 footer, an 8 would be better for snow. Mine is a 6, a seven would have been better, but used + cheap = mine.. The reason is, you want to be able to "wing" the snow back to each side with the blade angled while still staying on the roadway. Snow has a habit of piling up then tumbling back into the path you just cleared. I offset my blade to one side (usually the right) to get the blade as far out there as possible. Hydraulic angle control is a Godsend, no more hopping on and off all day in the winter.

Since you're getting Ag tires, check the loader manual and the tractor manual carefully for the recommended inflation pressure for the front tires WITH LOADER USE. It's usually quite a bit higher than normal pressure. I ruined a set of fronts on mine, possibly because of that.

Good choice on the rotary cutter, Land Pride makes a good one. Like TripleR said, the chain shields are a good idea, I made a set for mine before I realized how much work it would be.

Logging, even for firewood, makes a log winch a really attractive item. I bought a new/used one last year, saved a few hundred bucks plus the tax and wouldn't part with it. Saves a lot of cutting roads or driving through stuff I really shouldn't.

And finally, tire chains.. you're probably going to want them for the rears at least. If you don't have asphalt driveways, these are the cat's azz for around the woods, fields, gravel drive etc on ice or in snow.. made by Tellefsdal, sold in the US and Canada as either Norse Super Tractor or Aquiline Talons. Pricey, but you really do get what you pay for.

DSC00192.jpgDSC00893.jpgDSC00887.jpg

Welcome to the forum !
Sean

Last edited:
   / Buying L4600 & stuff! #27  
All good with the exception that on 4600DT the gears are not synchronized so no shift on the fly. What it has is a synchronized shuttle shift so at any gear you can go back and forth by bringing the engine to low idle (does not need full stop) and shift forward or backward. MX 5100/4700 is synchronized from 3rd to 4th gears. Grand L's in gear has full synchronized gear. Economy L's has pure mechanical shuttle, need to come to full stop and change direction by shuttle shifter (non-synchronized).

JC,