Buying Advice Buying L4600 & stuff!

/ Buying L4600 & stuff! #1  

storii

Tractor
Kubota L4600
Hello TractorByNet!

I'm in the process of buying my first tractor. It'll be used for landscaping, snow removal, brush hogging, maintaining a pond, maintaining a 2000+ foot gravel driveway, some logging, etc. on my new 68 acre property.

I will admit I'm **totally** new to tractors.

I've spoken with several salesmen at a bunch of different dealers and have a pretty good handle on what I want, but I want to run things by some knowledgeable people who aren't trying to sell me a tractor. AND, being a woman buying a tractor, well, I'm not entirely sure that the salesmen steer me the same way they steer the guys.

I'm looking at a Kubota L4600dt (gear drive) 4WD with AG tires (loaded for ballast), LA764 FEL, the BH92 BH with hydro thumb, a Land Pride RCR1860 (60") brush hog, a Land Pride RB1584 (84") rear blade and a Meteor 68" rear snow thrower.

I figure I don't want the HST because I'm a transportation junkie and really enjoy driving stuff, it's one of my life passions. I can fly airplanes and helicopters, my truck, race cars, I've operated trains and trollies, and 70' boats. I understand, from what people have told me, that my life would be easier with the HST but, I dunno, I want to really feel like I'm really in the seat. I want to know that I can hop on another tractor and drive it, no matter what it is.

I'm getting AG tires because I have some really muddy areas and I really, really don't want to get stuck. I won't be using the tractor for my lawn.

Do any of you know if that rotary cutter is any good? Should I go bigger? I'll be brush hogging maybe 10-15 acres 3 or so times a year, I figure.

What about the rear blade? Any thoughts on that for this tractor too? I'd like to use it for grading dirt (a lot of uneven ground on the property from previous HEAVY logging equipment, in addition to some other landscape work), removing snow, and maintaining my gravel driveway. Should I be looking at box scrapers instead, and give up the idea of an "all-purpose" blade?

As it stands today, I'm not planning on any remotes. I assume they're easy enough to add later if I need them, right?

My ultimate question, I suppose, is looking at the above, is there anything obviously stupid?

Thanks for your thoughts!

-Tori

/ Buying L4600 & stuff! #4  
I would look into adding a 3rd function valve to your loader and adding a Curtis plow for snow removal. A snow blower with a gravel road is nothing but a stone thrower and shear pin breaker not to mention having to twist around to look over your sholder as you are backing up. A box grader is the tool to use for maintaining your road. Check out the Everything Attachment website. They have a ton of information there on impliments and how to use them.

/ Buying L4600 & stuff!
Why are you getting or wanting a 5 foot rotary mower instead of a 6 footer?

Thanks for the welcome! Because I was originally getting an L3800 and the dealer recommended it and I carried it forward. But now I'm thinking I could easily (should) go with a 6'. There's no reason to get the 5 footer, other than a slight maneuverability advantage, right? Should cutters, as with snow removal tools, be outside the wheelbase?

/ Buying L4600 & stuff! #6  
Yes, they should cover the wheel base. If you have any hills I would also reccomend that you have the wheels set wide for stability.

/ Buying L4600 & stuff!
I would look into adding a 3rd function valve to your loader and adding a Curtis plow for snow removal. A snow blower with a gravel road is nothing but a stone thrower and shear pin breaker not to mention having to twist around to look over your sholder as you are backing up. A box grader is the tool to use for maintaining your road. Check out the Everything Attachment website. They have a ton of information there on impliments and how to use them.

Thanks Ace3! I'll check out that site!

/ Buying L4600 & stuff! #8  
I just bought an RCR1872 Landpride 72" rotary mower. It is great! I have mowed some really tall CRP grass with it (2 to 3 feet tall) and it works very well. I run it with my newly acquired L4600 HST and I am very satisfied with both. I would not go bigger than 72" on the mower.

/ Buying L4600 & stuff! #9  
I won't try to talk you into a different model or transmission and will rather address on areas addressed.

I've operated tractors for a LOT of years and only recently, three years, started using a hydraulic top-link and it is in my opinion one of the single best things you can buy. I put Top and Tilt on my last tractor and love it; could live without the side link, but will never give up the hydraulic top link.

The rotary cutter is good quality, but would probably go with a 6' and get a slip clutch. I like chain guards if available and have them on my LP RCR2672.

We own both back/grader blades as well as box scrapers; LP BB2584 and LP HR3584 and there is no comparison in smoothing dirt, the box scraper is our first choice. Our back blade is rarely used and we could easily live without one. We really like the hydraulic scarifiers, but are not a "must have", just really nice as you get older.

You can add remotes later, but I have found it much preferable and cheaper to include it in the initial package deal.

I agree on ag tires and setting them wide.

I know absolutely nothing about snow blowers.

If a dealer treats you differently because you are a woman, I would consider looking for one that doesn't. My wife and I are treated just the same and the shop foreman recently took her back to look at progress on a project, he talks to both of us the same as does the salesman and owner of the dealerships.

Good luck in your purchase; you will find a lot of really knowledgeable members here. I too come here for feed back on prospective purchases.

/ Buying L4600 & stuff! #10  
You're on the right track. Great tractor choice! Great trans choice! I don't like HST at all. :D

Get the 72" mower for the L4600 and enjoy...