Kubota BX25D / BX70?

/ Kubota BX25D / BX70? #211  
wrooster said:
You seem pretty hung up this. My BX doesn't have any paint issues.

That's why you think he's pretty "hung up" about it. :laughing:

No offense to anyone, but I would have to agree with J F's astute observation.

And I too would not be happy to see the paint beginning to lift off in whole sheets, as it appears to be, in the pic of (what I believe is) the foldable ROPS bracket. I hate to say it, but when paint does that, it's clear evidence of improper surface preparation. Steel comes with a coating of "mill scale" on it, from the foundry/manufacturer, which must be removed, prior to proper painting. Just sayin'....

I also agree with Scooby074 that it's odd that some of the gray (on the engine, rear axle, etc...) is fine.

Scooby074, four questions (and please accept my apologies if they've been answered already):

1. What year did your Kubota go into service?

2. Do you store it inside or outside?

3. Do you see any evidence of a primer coat under the lifting grey paint? (From my knowledge of automotive bodywork, a primer coat is mandatory. In fact, there is a movement toward epoxy primers, whereas, traditionally, primer paints were NOT waterproof, and epoxy primers are).

4. Have you considered attempting a polite conversation with a Regional Rep., from Kubota? It could simply be informational on your part (in case you were worried about being perceived as "making waves.") In other words, you could ask if the problem is a common occurrence, and how best to remediate it. In a perfect world, perhaps an offer of some assistance would be forthcoming.... (Caveat: Please keep in mind that I say this not knowing how old your tractor is).

My Hoe

/ Kubota BX25D / BX70? #212  
No offense to anyone, but I would have to agree with J F's astute observation.

And I too would not be happy to see the paint beginning to lift off in whole sheets, as it appears to be, in the pic of (what I believe is) the foldable ROPS bracket. I hate to say it, but when paint does that, it's clear evidence of improper surface preparation. Steel comes with a coating of "mill scale" on it, from the foundry/manufacturer, which must be removed, prior to proper painting. Just sayin'....

I also agree with Scooby074 that it's odd that some of the gray (on the engine, rear axle, etc...) is fine.

Scooby074, four questions (and please accept my apologies if they've been answered already):

1. What year did your Kubota go into service?

2. Do you store it inside or outside?

3. Do you see any evidence of a primer coat under the lifting grey paint? (From my knowledge of automotive bodywork, a primer coat is mandatory. In fact, there is a movement toward epoxy primers, whereas, traditionally, primer paints were NOT waterproof, and epoxy primers are).

4. Have you considered attempting a polite conversation with a Regional Rep., from Kubota? It could simply be informational on your part (in case you were worried about being perceived as "making waves.") In other words, you could ask if the problem is a common occurrence, and how best to remediate it. In a perfect world, perhaps an offer of some assistance would be forthcoming.... (Caveat: Please keep in mind that I say this not knowing how old your tractor is).

My Hoe

MH, Ill do my best to answer your questions. Again, im not outraged about the paint, more curious as to why some is bad and some isnt. Like you, I think it was a surface prep issue. I also suspect it was painted in a different plant or a different line, because the other paint is essentially perfect.

1. Tractor was purchased around August 2011.

2. Tractor is stored 90% of the time outdoors. It is a tractor afterall. :thumbsup: Paint has been like this since pretty much day one. It hasn't spread although the rust under the lifted paint has worsened.

3. No evidence of primer or any other type of undercoat that Ive noticed under the lifted sections..

4. A discussion with the area rep might help, although Ive had less than stellar results with my other discussions with a local rep (Ford).

/ Kubota BX25D / BX70? #213  
If you have rust at all, it will grow and grow until it is removed and repainted.
Btw, to retrofit the older loaders with the pin-on types of the new loader is not recommended. Front axle is beefier on the new ones and the attach brackets on the old ones are not strong enough. Also, it costs over a thousand dollars!!!!

/ Kubota BX25D / BX70? #214  
Roger, Im 6'1 myself and found the drivers seat on the 1026 pretty comfortable, probably the same as my BX. When I refer to fit and finish, and I dont want to derail the thread more than I have, but have a look at the paint on my BX. It was basically like this from new. The old Deere's paint was much better applied, never flaked, never rusted, no weld spatter. Frankly Kubota should be ashamed with the gray paint on the BX's @ $20,000. Ill put the pics as attachments to try and keep it neat.

That looks more like powder coat than paint. I despise powder coating. I was looking at the BX25D today when I was in the city. Actually thinking about getting one. Wish it wasn't raining so hard at the time. :mad:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    951.7 KB · Views: 421
   / Kubota BX25D / BX70? #215  
I bought a BX25 almost three years ago and it is as nice as the day it was delivered albeit lives indoors. My father in law bought a BX2660 and it had rust at all threaded and bare metal areas of the bolts and seat and frame and it left him wondering why he bought a Kubota. Nonetheless the dealer swapped the unit for another with zero rust issues and it to lives in a garage. The BX1500 I had prior to my BX25 had rust issues on the three point arms and the bagger attachment. The paint sort of just flaked off with rust underneath. I didn't notice any primer but sold the tractor as it was.

Just my experience with Kubota paint issues.

/ Kubota BX25D / BX70? #216  
That looks more like powder coat than paint. I despise powder coating. I was looking at the BX25D today when I was in the city. Actually thinking about getting one. Wish it wasn't raining so hard at the time. :mad:

I wonder myself if it is powder coat on some of it. Some of the flakes are very thick. Too thick for paint.

/ Kubota BX25D / BX70? #217  
$1000 for the QA! Wow. Thats a ton of money for that.

You say they upgraded the front axle?

/ Kubota BX25D / BX70? #218  
I wonder myself if it is powder coat on some of it. Some of the flakes are very thick. Too thick for paint.

Nothing wrong with powder coating. Done right, it will last a lifetime. On my B26, most of the grey is powder coat and I believe the FEL arms are also.

/ Kubota BX25D / BX70? #219  

Oh I'm sure that's what it is. No primer under it plus its thick. It's powder coat.

Nothing wrong with powder coating. Done right, it will last a lifetime. On my B26, most of the grey is powder coat and I believe the FEL arms are also.

Powder coating is GARBAGE! Used because its cheep and fast during the manufacturing process. No primer used or needed to apply. The only thing thats not powder coated on the Grand L's FEL is the cylinders and I've seen plenty of them around here peel. I have tooling and equipment here and lots of it most of which is either US/Canadian made and my equipment is very well cared for because I make my living with it and in all cases the powder coating failed. It peeled off in sheets. Yes in all cases. It's undiluted garbage. In some cases I've removed the powder coating and applied primer and paint via spray gun and never had an issue after.
I've heard people say its good IF its "applied right " well EVERYTHING I have here and none of it have been applied right because its all peeled.

I've seen a BX 1800 here at my shop that I've converted into an ice resurfacer. The hood peeled, the floor board peeled and it was on there 1/8th thick. I've seen a BX 2200 do the same. I remember the 3rd function cover on my less than 200 hour Kubota GL4240 peeling and having to get the powder coating off and repaint it. I have vehicle hoists, tire changers and snowblowers here I seen the same way. Powder coating is either garbage or EVERYTHING I have here has had it applied wrong and i doubt that very much. :mad:

Pictured is a Canadian built snow blower I had in the shop last week. Look at the powder coating on that! Yes its an extreme case and Yes it's a 6 year old unit BUT this is what happens when it do peel and not dealt with.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
   / Kubota BX25D / BX70? #220  
Wow, this thread has wandered all over the place. That said, I agree that the paint quality on the Kubota grey parts is inconsistent. Lots of little rusty spots on my BX25. Many there from delivery day. I've hit some with fluid film on occasion just to keep them from getting worse. I wish I could find a bottle of the Kubota Grey touch up paint like I have for the orange parts. Almost all the grey spots are small and in corners where two parts meet or are welded. Much easier to just sand it out and touch it up with touch up paint than remove the part and spray it. On the whole, I'm not upset about the paint quality, but it could definitely use improvement.