Comparison MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #11  
I looove my grapple...
5-1-08 013.jpg

...oh, sorry! What were you saying?

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #12  
Another significant difference is the 3 pt lift capacity. The MX5100 is 2300 lbs and the M5140 3300 lbs.
Good advice from Piston.

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #13  
I don't have a MX5100 or M5140, but rather an L5740 and M8540 and sure can't improve on what Piston said. I do love the HST, but when it comes to work you describe you can't beat weight and power, the M Series has both and in looking at them you will see it is just a stronger built tractor. Nothing against the MX5100, it's a good tractor, just for the targeted use you mentioned in my opinion the M5140 is more capable.

I often use both our tractors in the same day swapping back and forth and having used the Hydraulic Shuttle Shift side by side with the HST, in my opinion, the benefit of the HST is over estimated by some.

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #14  
I would be thinking about what your needs are after the clearing is done. How much land are we talking about. The M would be better for clearing but can be rather large for a general around the homestead chores in the future. Also keep in mind that what a dozer can do in a couple of days is weeks of work with a tractor. Clearing work has a way of poking and grabbing things on a tractor that can cost as much as bringing in a dozer. Good luck with the project.

MarkV

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #15  
I would be thinking about what your needs are after the clearing is done. How much land are we talking about. The M would be better for clearing but can be rather large for a general around the homestead chores in the future. Also keep in mind that what a dozer can do in a couple of days is weeks of work with a tractor. Clearing work has a way of poking and grabbing things on a tractor that can cost as much as bringing in a dozer. Good luck with the project.

MarkV

Ain't that the truth, we rented a tracked, enclosed cab skid steer for a little over a week this summer for some clearing to save our tractors and may do it one more time next summer. When we first bought our last farm, we brought in a dozer and it was well worth the money.

We still have years of work left for our tractors though.

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #16  
I agree with Mark V's comment above. I have a MX5100 and I love it and the HST for loader work I would recommend it every time over hydro shuttle, I had it on my first Kubota and loved it at the time, but the HST is the easiest to use for loader work and is great on hills. That said, the MX is on an L frame and is not as stout and heavy as the M series. A good dozer operator will be much quicker and more efficient, and heavy land clearing is hard on any tractor, regardless of size and power. thinking long term what tractor best suits your needs for continued use?

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing
I can't comment on how much better the M5140 would be, but I would say it certainly would be "better" for land clearing. The ONLY advantage to the MX5100 is the HST. For a long time, I had a really hard time even thinking about the possibility of giving up my beloved HST.....Now, I'm not so sure it would "kill" me that much.
I think the additional capability of a larger/heavier tractor outweigh the pros of the HST. ESPECIALLY if you've never owned an HST tractor before!

I recently started running my tractor (same size and capability as the MX5100) with the mindset of always thinking to myself, "can I do whatever it is I'm doing, without this HST?" The answer is certainly yes. One thing I didn't like about land clearing with my HST is that you have to have the RPM's up closer to 1800 or so for the transmission. When you do this, your hydraulics become much "faster" than you want them. It becomes more difficult to feather the valves on the FEL. I've done a LOT of land clearing with only my tractor and the implements I have for it, and I can say that if I was in your shoes right now, I would most certainly go with the larger tractor. (actually, I would go with the M7040 if you want to stick with Kubota)

Honestly though, even more important than your tractor decision, is the fact that you already mention getting a grapple. You will do more work with the grapple than you could ever imagine. The ideal combination for land clearing in my opinion, is the FEL grapple with 3rd function valve, and a HEAVY DUTY box blade with top n tilt. (hydraulic scarifiers are nice, but you wont' miss them if you've never used them before)

Remember that a tractor is just the engine that moves all the tools that actually do the work. A tractor with no implements is useless. I didn't have enough money to go out and buy a brand new tractor, and still have left over money to buy implements. So what I did, was buy a used tractor, and purchased my implements used over time. I know have one heck of an arsenal and still have less than 30k dollars wrapped up into my setup. I plan to upgrade my tractor when the time is right, but my smaller, less powerful tractor with all my implements, is more useful than any brand new larger tractor with nothing but a bucket.

The extra weight will help a lot. I had to have the tires filled with 1100lbs of ballast, and keep a 1000lb box blade on the back, and I wouldn't want any less weight! The problem though, is now that I have all this weight on my tractor, it will strain in anything more than medium range. I continually hear the HST whining like I'm overworking it (I'm not, but it sounds that way) when I have a heavy load in medium. I personally feel that I would get more done with a larger hydro shuttle tractor, than my HST. Although, I do LOVE HST don't get me wrong, but it isn't as important as I always thought it was.

Here is my land clearing setup... I wouldn't hesitate to go with hydro shuttle now, whereas I was "scared" to before. (Dad's running the tractor)
View attachment 287746

View attachment 287747

View attachment 287748

View attachment 287750
In this last pic, you can see how thick the trees are in the background, behind the clearing. This is how thick the entire clearing was. I cleared this spot in 3 days of work using this setup. There were a few trees I couldn't push over that required sawing, but a larger tractor would have gotten them ;)

Thanks for the feedback Piston. You touched on exactly the decisions I am facing. I have never owned or operated an HST, but everyone I talk to is telling me I better get the HST. When I first started my tractor shopping, I set out to buy geared, didn't really think I wanted the complexity of the HST and didn't like the noise either. Then I began thinking just as you described, that I was "afraid" not to get the HST because of the amount of grapple work I know I will be doing. The Grand L's are really nice, but you still have a fairly small framed tractor and the price per HP is much higher than the M Series I have been looking at.

I appreciate your feedback on the tractor weight. I have seen people complain that the MX5100 and the larger L's are very light in the rear. I have been thinking that the extra built-in size and weight of the M5140 would allow the tractor to do the same work as the MX5100 but with less stress and strain and better balance. Just a theory though, since I have not actually used either tractor.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences, very helpful. Nice work on the land clearing!

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #18  
Piston, great pics good job.

MarkV

The other needs I have will be bush hogging approx 20 acres and general maintenance tasks. The Clearing I will be doing is not large scale, but will be much more initially and then only occasionally as needed long-term. I have several thousand feet of fence rows that need to be cleared and re-built and about 5 acres of woods that need to be cleaned up, downed trees, under brush etc...

Long term the primary use for the tractor will be bush hogging the 20 acres and general maintenance of gravel driveways, ditches. etc...

I know that what I really need is a setup like TripleR with two tractors sized for the various needs. Since I can only afford to buy one tractor, I have been struggling with making the decision on which size tractor will be the best do-it-all choice. That is how I ended up looking hard at the MX5100, but I keep coming back to the M Series for fear of buying "too small". However, for the general maintenance tasks, I know the smaller MX or Grand L would be better suited.

You mention that the LA1153 has a 2536lb capacity at bucket center. For comparison, my LA852 loader has a lift capacity of 1875lbs at bucket center. That is a HUGE difference in capability.
(note: the LA852/853/854 loaders are going to be just about identical in lift capacity to the LA844)

You can find the specs on the LA854 easily and use those numbers to compare. It will be almost the same as the 844.

What is the difference in the pivot pin measurement on the specs for the L844 (2443) and the bucket center on the LA1153 (2536)? I have been comparing "pivot pin" and 500mm forward measurements on various loaders, but the the LA1153 doesn't list either, it shows the bucket center measurement. Does that compare to either the pivot pin or 500mm forward measurement?