Comparison MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #21  
The other needs I have will be bush hogging approx 20 acres and general maintenance tasks. The Clearing I will be doing is not large scale, but will be much more initially and then only occasionally as needed long-term. I have several thousand feet of fence rows that need to be cleared and re-built and about 5 acres of woods that need to be cleaned up, downed trees, under brush etc...

Long term the primary use for the tractor will be bush hogging the 20 acres and general maintenance of gravel driveways, ditches. etc...

I know that what I really need is a setup like TripleR with two tractors sized for the various needs. Since I can only afford to buy one tractor, I have been struggling with making the decision on which size tractor will be the best do-it-all choice. That is how I ended up looking hard at the MX5100, but I keep coming back to the M Series for fear of buying "too small". However, for the general maintenance tasks, I know the smaller MX or Grand L would be better suited.

You sure do have a conundrum. "Too big" or "too small" are hard to quantify and you may be surprised at what you can do with the "wrong size" tractor. Long story, but I mowed my oldest son's yard once this summer with our M8540 pulling a ten foot rotary cutter (my Avatar) and a couple of times with our L5740 HSTC. Certainly not advisable, but it worked.

The M5140 is a lot smaller than the M8540 and not a lot larger than the MX5100 or Grand L equivalent, so I don't think size either way is going to be a big issue. I do believe the ride quality and seat on the M5140 will be more comfortable, but I'm not uncomfortable on an L just more comfortable on an M.

As your "heavy work" is not ongoing, somewhat small acreage to maintain on an ongoing basis and looking at what Piston has accomplished, I think I would be leaning a bit more towards a well ballasted MX or GL with HST and hiring out what can't or you don't want to handle or rent something.

Good news is that between the two or three there really isn't a "wrong choice". Of course I may change my mind in an hour or so you are so close on the bubble.

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing
TripleR, you nailed it.... I have decided on 3 different tractors all within the last 24 hours, multiple times :) The MX5100 HST or the Grand L4240 that I have also been looking at probably would make sense long-term, but I also don't want to be in the situation where I bought too small and regret that I didn't get the bigger more capable tractor. At the same time, don't want to be limited by buying too big either. I do really like the seat and ergonomics of the M and Grand L series.

You made a good point in that the physical dimensions of the M5140 is not that much bigger than the MX, but the weight is about 900 lbs more. The M may not be as much of a disadvantage on my general maintenance tasks as I thought. I guess the biggest advantage and decision point for me is to determine if the additional weight and capabilities of the M would be more beneficial than the convenience of the HST.

I am trying to determine how much more lift capacity I would get with the LA1153 FEL on the M compared to the MX and the LA844 FEL. Is the bucket center measurement directly comparable to the 500mm forward measurement? Can't seem to find a 500mm forward measure for the LA1153?

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #23  
TripleR, you nailed it.... I have decided on 3 different tractors all within the last 24 hours, multiple times :) The MX5100 HST or the Grand L4240 that I have also been looking at probably would make sense long-term, but I also don't want to be in the situation where I bought too small and regret that I didn't get the bigger more capable tractor. At the same time, don't want to be limited by buying too big either. I do really like the seat and ergonomics of the M and Grand L series.

You made a good point in that the physical dimensions of the M5140 is not that much bigger than the MX, but the weight is about 900 lbs more. The M may not be as much of a disadvantage on my general maintenance tasks as I thought. I guess the biggest advantage and decision point for me is to determine if the additional weight and capabilities of the M would be more beneficial than the convenience of the HST.

I am trying to determine how much more lift capacity I would get with the LA1153 FEL on the M compared to the MX and the LA844 FEL. Is the bucket center measurement directly comparable to the 500mm forward measurement? Can't seem to find a 500mm forward measure for the LA1153?

You got me on that one, you might PM art as he works on these things.

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #24  

500mm is about 20". How wide is the bottom of the bucket? I doubt that it is 40" Problem with the center of the bucket distance is center of which bucket? I think that there are 3 different buckets available for those tractors? :confused3: Get the M5140 and be happy. Unless you really have some confined areas, you won't need the smaller tractor. Later on you may find that it would be nice to have say an L3240 for small clean up, but that is going to be a ways down the road and you sure don't want to get small now. ;)

Just my :2cents: good luck with your decision.

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #25  
I have a L4240 with a thumb and the bucket ,it works well for me.The 854 is a powerfull loader.What ever your choice is on tractors remember to protect your front from puntures.It can get expensive in a hurry............I know!

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #26  
a friend has a 5740 with the la 854 or 844 they dont lift that much i have the LA1153 ON A 7040SU IT WILL lift the rear off the ground i got loaded rear tires and cast centers the 5140 has the same loaders my 7040 if you want a 1353 triple R s 8540 has one on it they lift about 600 ibs more then mine the 5100 a hybrid it has L series parts on it and some M series parts on it the frames from the L series tractors the fel M series the 3pt L series

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #27  
... but I also don't want to be in the situation where I bought too small and regret that I didn't get the bigger more capable tractor.

Of course none of us can tell you exactly what YOU will be more happy with, but we can give you our opinions backed up by experience. My experience is that the above quote, suits me to a tee! I was so dead set on buying an HST tractor, I wouldn't even entertain the thought of buying one without HST. I now regret that decision. I personally wish that I went with the larger tractor with a hydro shuttle transmission.
My uses for my tractor are mainly woods work, and FEL work. I do a lot of random things with my tractor, and about the ONLY thing I don't use it for, is field work. I don't plow, seed, or do any type of standard farm work, so I can't give any opinions on that. I so use the brush hog in the woods though, not so much a field. The HST is certainly an advantage here, and there are times when I say, "boy this HST really is nice" but it is nothing I couldn't do with a hydro shuttle tranny.
Almost all my use includes grapple work. There have been numerous occasions where I wish I had some more FEL capacity (one of my MAIN reasons for wanting a larger tractor at this point). And I don't mean I want an extra 100 or 200 lbs either, I'm referring to something with considerably more lift capacity and breakout force. An LA1153 would probably fit me very well. You seem to have a lot of similar uses that I do with mine. I will also use my tractor for long term, ongoing maintenance around the house/land, and I don't bat an eye and think twice about keeping my L tractor for general maintenance. I think I'll be just fine and be just as happy with my slightly larger tractor that I'll (someday) be buying.

One thing to remember here, is that your at a huge advantage here over many of us. Many of us already have the HST tranny, that is indeed a nice feature, and one that sucked me in. I can't deny that I do LOVE it, but I would never know that if I didn't have one :D Since you've never owned one, and you would be getting a hydro shuttle anyways, I think you'll be tinkled pink at what the hydro shuttle could do. There is in fact, life outside HST :D

At this point, if they offered say, an M7040 with HST option, I'm not really sure I would go with it. IN the past I would have already bought one, but now, I think that even given the choice of the "best of both worlds" I would probably go with a hydro shuttle.

At the same time, don't want to be limited by buying too big either.
Nothing your looking at will be remotely "too big". I thought the same way, after getting some experience and having the opportunity to try out some larger tractors (I say large, but that's relative to what I have now) I now realize that what I used to think as "too big" would actually be just about right....and still not even close to "too big" Sometimes these 'larger' tractors really do appear larger, but they aren't actually THAT much bigger in the grand scheme of things, we're talking about maybe 2' longer and maybe 1' wider, if that. BUT, they are a whole lot more capable.

I'll try to look into this a little more for you, I might have some literature laying around if I can't find anything online.

Just remember what I said about the attachments though, don't use up your entire budget on the tractor. Save some money for attachments. Regarding land clearing, the grapple is the single most important attachment you can purchase. You will not find ANY need (and I say this with confidence) for a standard bucket when land clearing with a tractor/grapple/box blade combination.

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing
All I can find on the LA1153 FEL lift capacity is measured at the "bucket center". As MtnViewRanch pointed out "bucket center" could vary depending on which bucket? :confused3: Trying to determine if that is a fair comparison to the "500mm forward" measurement given for the LA854/LA844 FEL. They also give "Pivot Pin" measures on the 854/844, but I don't think that is a fair comparison to "bucket center". I know the LA1153 has a higher lift capacity, but I would like to quantify it.

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #29  
I don't know if you'll be able to find the exact numerical difference between the two loaders, unfortunately.

However, even with the 1153 there are some differences, depending on if it is in the normal position, or power position.
Power position 500mm ahead is 2536lbs
standard pos 500mm ahead is 2326lbs.

So right there are some differences on one loader. It is sometimes hard to compare apples to apples with loader specs.

The LA844 loader will have a lift capacity of 1875 at bucket center (give or take a few lbs). I know this has already been mentioned.

Like Brian said, 500mm is about 20", which is not bucket center, but beyond bucket center. So all we can say is that worst case scenerio, the 1153 will have a MINIMUM of 451lbs of extra lift capacity over the 844. (standard pos for 1153 minus bucket center of the 844)
This is the worst case, and ON PAPER, in real life, you'll notice a big difference. Sometimes we get too caught up in spec sheets. (I'm guilty of this)

Remember that this is to FULL height. It will be an even greater difference when you get into realistic use. For example, you won't normally be lifting things to full height unless your loading a dump truck or something, and you didn't mention that.
You will be able to lift much more than that at say, 5' off the ground.

Another very important thing to consider, loader wise, is the breakout force. This is the amount of force the bucket will have when trying to curl, for instance, when you dig your grapple into the ground, under a stump, and try to "pop" it out. The more force, the better.

I looked briefly for breakout force numbers, but didn't find any in the short amount of time I looked.

Sorry we're unable to produce a hard number for you regarding the loader specs.

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #30  
Also want to mention, I'm not sure if your dead set on Kubota or not, but if not, you owe it to yourself to check out the other manufacturers as well. Although, with this much talk about loader lift capacity, you would have quite a thread going on tractor comparisons, so maybe you should just stick with kubota :D

The good thing is, when you decide what you want, you'll know that it will be a good decision based on your needs, and not just some random purchase. :thumbsup: