Comparison MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #31  
Piston said:
Also want to mention, I'm not sure if your dead set on Kubota or not, but if not, you owe it to yourself to check out the other manufacturers as well. Although, with this much talk about loader lift capacity, you would have quite a thread going on tractor comparisons, so maybe you should just stick with kubota :D

The good thing is, when you decide what you want, you'll know that it will be a good decision based on your needs, and not just some random purchase. :thumbsup:

Good point! Check out Deere. They make nice tractors in this size!

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #32  
i can lift my rear of my 1 ton srw off the ground until the front bumper hits the ground with my 7040su i scooped up wet ground the waters was running out of the bucket

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #33  
Kubota loaders are designated by lift capacity to full height in kg, so the 1153 would have about 36% more lift than the 844 (1153 / 844 = 1.36). Don't forget that the weight of the grapple itself reduces how much you can pick up.

I noticed that you are in East TN, I am as well. I'm not sure where you are shopping for tractors however I suggest that when you are ready to purchase that you contact Barlow Equipment in Somerset KY and get a quote from them.

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #34  
When I went to buy my retirement "bucket list" tractor, mostly for utility jobs and tree clearing, I "downsized" to an L5740HSTC instead of the larger M I had my eyes on, only because I didn't want to have to buy a new diesel truck to haul that much weight, as I need to move the tractor once in a while. I'm having second thoughts already at 20 hours. I'm having wheel weights put on the tractor right now, and I hope that helps, but boy is the rear end light on my tractor, even with a full ballast box. I also bought too big a grapple, with a solid bucket, which made my weight problems worse, so I'd suggest an open grapple plus a standard bucket. I don't regret my decision, love the Grand L design and ease of use, but have to turn the autothrottle off when using the grapple to get enough power to pick up heavy loads. As mentioned before, minimum of 1800-2000 rpm and things do get a little jumpy then.

One of the issues I faced was that I have to cross some lawns and other "tread lightly" areas, so while weight is marvelous for most tractor applications, sometimes it creates other issues, including transport. If you aren't moving your tractor off that property, and are going to be staying in the fields or roads, boy I'd get as much weight as you can afford. One last consideration is that a larger tractor can be more cumbersome in the woods, unless you are knocking everything down, so for close quarters driving, something a little more compact lets you get into places without ripping off mirrors and scratching up the machine.

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing
piller said:
Kubota loaders are designated by lift capacity to full height in kg, so the 1153 would have about 36% more lift than the 844 (1153 / 844 = 1.36). Don't forget that the weight of the grapple itself reduces how much you can pick up.

I noticed that you are in East TN, I am as well. I'm not sure where you are shopping for tractors however I suggest that when you are ready to purchase that you contact Barlow Equipment in Somerset KY and get a quote from them.

Piller, I did contact Barlows and I have actually gotten just as good and sometimes better pricing from dealers within 50 miles.

Piston said:
Also want to mention, I'm not sure if your dead set on Kubota or not, but if not, you owe it to yourself to check out the other manufacturers as well. Although, with this much talk about loader lift capacity, you would have quite a thread going on tractor comparisons, so maybe you should just stick with kubota :D

The good thing is, when you decide what you want, you'll know that it will be a good decision based on your needs, and not just some random purchase. :thumbsup:

Piston, not dead set on Kubota, what other models do you thing are worth looking at?

daugen said:
When I went to buy my retirement "bucket list" tractor, mostly for utility jobs and tree clearing, I "downsized" to an L5740HSTC instead of the larger M I had my eyes on, only because I didn't want to have to buy a new diesel truck to haul that much weight, as I need to move the tractor once in a while. I'm having second thoughts already at 20 hours. I'm having wheel weights put on the tractor right now, and I hope that helps, but boy is the rear end light on my tractor, even with a full ballast box. I also bought too big a grapple, with a solid bucket, which made my weight problems worse, so I'd suggest an open grapple plus a standard bucket. I don't regret my decision, love the Grand L design and ease of use, but have to turn the autothrottle off when using the grapple to get enough power to pick up heavy loads. As mentioned before, minimum of 1800-2000 rpm and things do get a little jumpy then.

One of the issues I faced was that I have to cross some lawns and other "tread lightly" areas, so while weight is marvelous for most tractor applications, sometimes it creates other issues, including transport. If you aren't moving your tractor off that property, and are going to be staying in the fields or roads, boy I'd get as much weight as you can afford. One last consideration is that a larger tractor can be more cumbersome in the woods, unless you are knocking everything down, so for close quarters driving, something a little more compact lets you get into places without ripping off mirrors and scratching up the machine.

You have touched on one of my fears, wishing I had bought bigger... The tractor should stay on the property unless it needs to go to the dealer, and they offer pick up and delivery service. The main reason I have not already bought a Grand L or Mx5100 is my concern over their lack of weight and how that would affect my capabilities with brush and tree clearing.

Are your rear tires filled? What brand and style of grapple do you own? I have been looking at one from CID attachments and one from Blue Diamond. If I go with the M series I will get the HD open bottom root grapple with 1/2" steel. Otherwise I will go with a light duty for the Grand L.

I am sure the Grand L and MX would be more nimble in the woods, but the M5140 is not physically much bigger. It is about 12" longer, but only 3 inches wider for the 4wd models. Wheelbase is 6 inches longer, but the weight is about 800 lbs heavier and it appears a good portion of the extra weight appears to be in the rear.

I appreciate you sharing your experiences, that feedback is very helpful.

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #38  
You have touched on one of my fears, wishing I had bought bigger... The tractor should stay on the property unless it needs to go to the dealer, and they offer pick up and delivery service. The main reason I have not already bought a Grand L or Mx5100 is my concern over their lack of weight and how that would affect my capabilities with brush and tree clearing.

It is sounding more and more like you really would be better served by going with the M series, and staying away from the smaller MX series. If your second guessing your decision to go with an MX now, you will most certainly regret NOT going bigger. I think we've nailed that decision down :thumbsup:

What brand and style of grapple do you own? I have been looking at one from CID attachments and one from Blue Diamond. If I go with the M series I will get the HD open bottom root grapple with 1/2" steel. Otherwise I will go with a light duty for the Grand L.

I would most definitely NOT go with any type of HD grapple. The light duty grapples are plenty for either choice. The only thing your accomplishing by going with a HD grapple, is losing more FEL lift capacity (which you ARE concerned about). I am going to whole heartedly recommend the identical grapple that I have, only because I've put it through it's paces and it has worked wonderfully for me. I also LOVE dealing with the company and the owner has been very helpful with any questions I have. I have a WR Long 64" OBG-2 grapple. With the size FEL's you are looking at, there is no reason why you would need anything SMALLER because you don't need to save the 100lbs less weight. For doing land clearing tasks, I think that the size and model that I have, is absolutely perfect, actually I wouldn't mind if it was 72" but it isn't necessary. Also, if you are referring to the clamshell style grapple, I recommend not going that route, I've used one of those as well and don't think they are nearly as useful.

OBG2

Piston, not dead set on Kubota, what other models do you thing are worth looking at?
Since your planning on going new....what dealers are close to you?

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #39  
If the m series you're looking at has the LA1153 loader, that's the one I'd go with. The M6040 that I had with loaded tires, could not over tax that loader, so you'd be well served by it.Moving one ton pallets with the forks was a breeze.

Attachments

• image-4163419855.jpg
    image-4163419855.jpg
    616.9 KB · Views: 157
Piston said:
It is sounding more and more like you really would be better served by going with the M series, and staying away from the smaller MX series. If your second guessing your decision to go with an MX now, you will most certainly regret NOT going bigger. I think we've nailed that decision down :thumbsup:

I would most definitely NOT go with any type of HD grapple. The light duty grapples are plenty for either choice. The only thing your accomplishing by going with a HD grapple, is losing more FEL lift capacity (which you ARE concerned about). I am going to whole heartedly recommend the identical grapple that I have, only because I've put it through it's paces and it has worked wonderfully for me. I also LOVE dealing with the company and the owner has been very helpful with any questions I have. I have a WR Long 64" OBG-2 grapple. With the size FEL's you are looking at, there is no reason why you would need anything SMALLER because you don't need to save the 100lbs less weight. For doing land clearing tasks, I think that the size and model that I have, is absolutely perfect, actually I wouldn't mind if it was 72" but it isn't necessary. Also, if you are referring to the clamshell style grapple, I recommend not going that route, I've used one of those as well and don't think they are nearly as useful.

OBG2

Since your planning on going new....what dealers are close to you?

I agree with you on the grapple. The heaviest one I have considered is about 550 lbs. The dealer recommended that I go with 1/2" steel and HD construction if used on the M series due to the weight and power of the tractor. He was concerned it might damage the grapple when digging or raking roots. He felt that 3/8in light duty would be ok for the Grand L and MX. I have no grapple experience, so i don't know if his concern is valid or not.

I like the looks of the OBG2 you have. According to the website it opens to 44 in, the others I have looked at open to about 35 in. Did you order yours direct or through your dealer? What is the going rate for that model? Haven't got a quote yet on the CID brand, but the Blue Diamond one runs around $2,400.