Comparison MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing
Piston said:
It is sounding more and more like you really would be better served by going with the M series, and staying away from the smaller MX series. If your second guessing your decision to go with an MX now, you will most certainly regret NOT going bigger. I think we've nailed that decision down :thumbsup:

I would most definitely NOT go with any type of HD grapple. The light duty grapples are plenty for either choice. The only thing your accomplishing by going with a HD grapple, is losing more FEL lift capacity (which you ARE concerned about). I am going to whole heartedly recommend the identical grapple that I have, only because I've put it through it's paces and it has worked wonderfully for me. I also LOVE dealing with the company and the owner has been very helpful with any questions I have. I have a WR Long 64" OBG-2 grapple. With the size FEL's you are looking at, there is no reason why you would need anything SMALLER because you don't need to save the 100lbs less weight. For doing land clearing tasks, I think that the size and model that I have, is absolutely perfect, actually I wouldn't mind if it was 72" but it isn't necessary. Also, if you are referring to the clamshell style grapple, I recommend not going that route, I've used one of those as well and don't think they are nearly as useful.

OBG2

Since your planning on going new....what dealers are close to you?

I have JD, Kubota, and MF local. Nearest Kioti dealer is about 90 miles. New Holland and Mahindra are about 60 miles out.

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #42  
I bought my grapple through my local dealer, after talking directly to Nelson Long. They only sell through dealers. I am recommending that grapple based on my experience with it, and keep in mind, that is the only grapple that I have extensive experience with. The only other one I've operated is a clamshell style which I did not like very much. I can't say what you SHOULD buy, only tell you how happy I am with my choice, but that's not to say there aren't better one's out there, however, I can't tell you how happy I am with my setup!

I do not KNOW if the OBG-2 grapple is HD enough, but I can't see it not being HD enough for either of those tractors. I do know that when I upgrade, I'll use my same grapple on my larger tractor. I can't imagine bending/breaking the grapple when it is used properly. There is definitely a method and there are ways to use it, and ways NOT to use it. If you want to know some ways NOT to use it, I'll get you in touch with my father, he could go tell you all sorts of ways to bend them :laughing: Actually, my grapple has been bent twice, both times by him. He probably has 15hrs or so on it, I have over 200, but I guess I just understand what not to do better than he does? (Boy do I sound like one of those "i know everything and you know nothing" sons huh! :D)

I have JD, Kubota, and MF local. Nearest Kioti dealer is about 90 miles. New Holland and Mahindra are about 60 miles out.
Well, I'd say I haven't heard anything bad about ANY of those dealers. Again, I only have experience with Kubota so that is all I can talk about, other guys can chime in with their advice regarding the others.
I'm very happy with my Kubota yes, however, I've pretty much decided I will buy a different brand for my next tractor. This is mostly ALL personal preference and ergonomics though, nothing at all wrong with my tractor, I've just learned over the years some things I do and don't like about it. I can certainly say that if your buying new, you really owe it to yourself to test drive each model that is in your region, and also establish a relationship with your dealers.

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #43  
Some onteresting comments here. I haven;t thought about it in years, but I was always served well by getting the highest capacity loader I could for the application. It always made the tractor "feel" better no matter what I lifted with it.

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #44  
sometimes pictures are helpful. Here is the grapple I bought; I asked for a 66 and let myself get talked into a 72. Not a good idea for such a heavy duty grapple, which would be an awesome addition to a heavier tractor. I wanted one bucket that did it all, and I agree that the JR Long people build a seriously heavy duty grapple. This is just not the bucket/grapple combo to put on a 4200 pound tractor with a light rear end. No, no tires filled yet, but I may have to. Want to see how the wheel weights help first.
And from a lift capacity, I could barely pick up the log on top, which granted was seriously heavy oak, and could not curl with it at all. Having the loader checked out for curl right now. But I thought a tractor this size could pick up more...maybe that log weighed a ton, but I don't think so.

Attachments

• P1010733 (2).jpg
    P1010733 (2).jpg
    941.8 KB · Views: 287
  • P1010731 (2).jpg
    P1010731 (2).jpg
    685.7 KB · Views: 171
  • P1010750 (2).jpg
    P1010750 (2).jpg
    842.2 KB · Views: 190
   / MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #46  
Not to get off track, but it's not just about being able to lift something, but more importantly is how well you can handle/control it once it's in the air. The more weight you lift, the heavier more stable your tractor is going to need to be to keep it from falling on its face or side. This often means a larger size frame.

Like I said, tough call as to short term/long term "needs". I won't even go into "wants".

sometimes pictures are helpful. Here is the grapple I bought; I asked for a 66 and let myself get talked into a 72. Not a good idea for such a heavy duty grapple, which would be an awesome addition to a heavier tractor. I wanted one bucket that did it all, and I agree that the JR Long people build a seriously heavy duty grapple. This is just not the bucket/grapple combo to put on a 4200 pound tractor with a light rear end. No, no tires filled yet, but I may have to. Want to see how the wheel weights help first.
And from a lift capacity, I could barely pick up the log on top, which granted was seriously heavy oak, and could not curl with it at all. Having the loader checked out for curl right now. But I thought a tractor this size could pick up more...maybe that log weighed a ton, but I don't think so.

Thanks for the pictures, they certainly do help visualize the load that you are talking about. How much does that grapple bucket weigh? Looks pretty heavy, but I agree with you, that log doesn't look like it would weigh a ton to me. I would certainly expect to be able to lift logs close to that diameter that were considerably longer. I have heard that filling the rear tires on the Grand L's is a definite must if you want to maximize your lifting with the FEL. Not sure if the same is true for the M Series or not since they have more built-in weight. I don't like the idea of filling the tires and would prefer to go with wheel weights and ballast, seems more versatile to me when I have the option to remove the weight when it's not needed. However, everyone I talk to you and most everyone on TBN recommends that you fill the rear tires if you have a FEL.

I bought my grapple through my local dealer, after talking directly to Nelson Long. They only sell through dealers. I am recommending that grapple based on my experience with it, and keep in mind, that is the only grapple that I have extensive experience with. The only other one I've operated is a clamshell style which I did not like very much. I can't say what you SHOULD buy, only tell you how happy I am with my choice, but that's not to say there aren't better one's out there, however, I can't tell you how happy I am with my setup!

I do not KNOW if the OBG-2 grapple is HD enough, but I can't see it not being HD enough for either of those tractors. I do know that when I upgrade, I'll use my same grapple on my larger tractor. I can't imagine bending/breaking the grapple when it is used properly. There is definitely a method and there are ways to use it, and ways NOT to use it. If you want to know some ways NOT to use it, I'll get you in touch with my father, he could go tell you all sorts of ways to bend them :laughing: Actually, my grapple has been bent twice, both times by him. He probably has 15hrs or so on it, I have over 200, but I guess I just understand what not to do better than he does? (Boy do I sound like one of those "i know everything and you know nothing" sons huh! :D)

Well, I'd say I haven't heard anything bad about ANY of those dealers. Again, I only have experience with Kubota so that is all I can talk about, other guys can chime in with their advice regarding the others.
I'm very happy with my Kubota yes, however, I've pretty much decided I will buy a different brand for my next tractor. This is mostly ALL personal preference and ergonomics though, nothing at all wrong with my tractor, I've just learned over the years some things I do and don't like about it. I can certainly say that if your buying new, you really owe it to yourself to test drive each model that is in your region, and also establish a relationship with your dealers.

What are the ergonomics you don't like about your current tractor?

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #49  
Thanks for the pictures, they certainly do help visualize the load that you are talking about. How much does that grapple bucket weigh? Looks pretty heavy, but I agree with you, that log doesn't look like it would weigh a ton to me. I would certainly expect to be able to lift logs close to that diameter that were considerably longer. I have heard that filling the rear tires on the Grand L's is a definite must if you want to maximize your lifting with the FEL. Not sure if the same is true for the M Series or not since they have more built-in weight. I don't like the idea of filling the tires and would prefer to go with wheel weights and ballast, seems more versatile to me when I have the option to remove the weight when it's not needed. However, everyone I talk to you and most everyone on TBN recommends that you fill the rear tires if you have a FEL.

Every tractor we use with a FEL has filled rear tires and one has cast centers and filled tires, even our BX2200 has filled tires.

We have filled tires on our M8540 and it does "OK" without ballast on the 3PH, but for optimum, safe operation a minimum of 1000 lbs goes on the 3PH.

/ MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing #50  
Something to consider, some people say, get wheel weights, that way you can take them off and on. I would bet that MOST people NEVER take them off. It's not like you just pop them off in a couple of minutes and they are heavy to handle. A couple of other things is a lot of the time they just are not enough weight and they are costly. I didn't want to fill my tires either when I first got my 75hp tractor. I installed 4 sets of wheel weights, wasn't enough weight. Honestly, I barely even knew that they were on there. I then filled all 4 tires and oh what a difference. It was like operating a different machine, waaaaaay higher capabilities and literally unbelievably more stable. To get THE MAXIMUM capabilities out of my tractor I still added 2 more sets of wheel weights for a total of 6 sets. With the 2000+lbs of ballast, my tractor can now operate at it's peak. :thumbsup:

I would go with filled tires to start with, more weight for less money. If you feel that you still need more weight, then get the wheel weights.

Just my opinion based on what I have read here and what has worked for me in my situation & conditions. ;)