Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Default Re: MX5100 vs M5140 for grapple work and land clearing

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatblue View Post
    Everything attachments has a nice youtube vid of a root grapple attached on a MX5100 and shows them working it.
    Here you go:

How To Video Demos - Implements & Attachments
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    Kubota L4240HST

I will have to look again at the 5E series. I looked at them initially, but have not seen the new 2013 models with the hydro-shuttle option. I liked their power, but the operator station didn't seem very comfortable. Looks like JD has changed this some, so it is definitely worth another look. I initially was looking at the JD 4000 series as well. They are nice also.

With the kubota, what are your thoughts on the M6040 compared to the M5140. Looks like about $2,500 more, for 11 more HP and 10 more PTO HP along with an upgraded engine, bigger tires etc... I know you have to stop somewhere and say enough is enough, but usually its a good practice to look at the next size up and see if it makes sense. I believe they are the same tractor with an upgraded engine. The loader and lift capacities I believe are the same and roughly the same weight. For land clearing and grapple work, is the 11 more HP going to make a big difference? The 10 more PTO could help with mowing and other PTO work, but that is not my primary need for now.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Quote Originally Posted by 3boys865 View Post
    I will have to look again at the 5E series. I looked at them initially, but have not seen the new 2013 models with the hydro-shuttle option. I liked their power, but the operator station didn't seem very comfortable. Looks like JD has changed this some, so it is definitely worth another look. I initially was looking at the JD 4000 series as well. They are nice also.

With the kubota, what are your thoughts on the M6040 compared to the M5140. Looks like about $2,500 more, for 11 more HP and 10 more PTO HP along with an upgraded engine, bigger tires etc... I know you have to stop somewhere and say enough is enough, but usually its a good practice to look at the next size up and see if it makes sense. I believe they are the same tractor with an upgraded engine. The loader and lift capacities I believe are the same and roughly the same weight. For land clearing and grapple work, is the 11 more HP going to make a big difference? The 10 more PTO could help with mowing and other PTO work, but that is not my primary need for now.
    That is often the "common wisdom", but I'm not sure you are going to gain anything in the areas on which you are primarily focusing. To get a significant boot in production you will probably need to go to an M7040, but then you'll be looking at the M8540...

Yes, there is a point at which "bigger is not better, it's just bigger". You are already pretty much teetering between CUT and UT now. When we bought our M8540, I briefly considered the M9540 as money really wasn't an issue, it's the same tractor as the M8540 with an optional 24/24 and a little more power. I'll never run anything bigger than a ten foot cutter and our old tractor was an 80HP, so I'm happy with what we got.

foreman Etexas recently traded an M5040 for a M7040; he does a lot of haying and such, you might review his old threads or PM him, he's pretty helpful.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor
    Kubota L4240HST

Quote Originally Posted by TripleR View Post
    Yes, there is a point at which "bigger is not better, it's just bigger". You are already pretty much teetering between CUT and UT now.
    Very Good Point....

Tractor
    Kubota L4240HST

Well, I took the advice of MarkV and KYDan and have lined up a dozer to come in and do the heavy clearing work. It made a lot of sense to hire that out, gets done much quicker and saves me a lot of work. As stated, that type of work is probably not well suited for a tractor anyway. My on-going work will still include a lot of grapple work cleaning up brush, processing firewood and general land maintenance work.

I am trying to finalize my decision between the MX5100 HST and the M5140 HD. I think it will come down to picking the right transmission to best fit my needs. The best pricing I have received has the M5140 HD right at $4k more than the MX5100 HST. I have also looked at the L4240 with the HST+. Less power than the other 2, but with 44 HP, would probably be ok for my tasks, equal lift capacity with the MX5100. I chose the 4240 because the price point falls between the MX5100 HST and the M5140 HD. The L5240 is priced several thousand more than the M5140.

I know the HST has it's advantages over the Hydro-Shuttle, but I don't really have a feel for how much so when doing actual work vs riding around the dealers lot. In reality, is the Hydro-shuttle pretty close to the HST in terms of ease of use? Any particular type of work that one is more suited for over the other?

I welcome any and all suggestions for things to consider and any input or advice from your personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. I hope to place an order for one of these tractors before the end of this week.

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

Quote Originally Posted by 3boys865 View Post
    Well, I took the advice of MarkV and KYDan and have lined up a dozer to come in and do the heavy clearing work. It made a lot of sense to hire that out, gets done much quicker and saves me a lot of work. As stated, that type of work is probably not well suited for a tractor anyway. My on-going work will still include a lot of grapple work cleaning up brush, processing firewood and general land maintenance work.

I am trying to finalize my decision between the MX5100 HST and the M5140 HD. I think it will come down to picking the right transmission to best fit my needs. The best pricing I have received has the M5140 HD right at $4k more than the MX5100 HST. I have also looked at the L4240 with the HST+. Less power than the other 2, but with 44 HP, would probably be ok for my tasks, equal lift capacity with the MX5100. I chose the 4240 because the price point falls between the MX5100 HST and the M5140 HD. The L5240 is priced several thousand more than the M5140.

I know the HST has it's advantages over the Hydro-Shuttle, but I don't really have a feel for how much so when doing actual work vs riding around the dealers lot. In reality, is the Hydro-shuttle pretty close to the HST in terms of ease of use? Any particular type of work that one is more suited for over the other?

I welcome any and all suggestions for things to consider and any input or advice from your personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. I hope to place an order for one of these tractors before the end of this week.
    Heavy ground work, the shuttle trans will be better. I have both shuttle and HST. For me the only advantage that the HST has is for closed in areas that need precision work. but that is just me and my conditions.
    Brian
    Top and Tilt Kits by Fit Rite Hydraulics

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100 HST 4WD

Having owned the shuttle shift and the HST the big advantage to the HST is loader use. If you are going to be mowing most of the time then the shuttle is better and if you are going to be using it mostly for ground engagement purposes then consider a DT. The only reason to go the the L 5X series would be if you want a cab. The MX series is a stripped down version of the L 5X series. If you want the bells and whistles the L series are hard to beat. I truly love the MX for my uses, but I also loved the grand L when I had it. If you are going to be mowing and using the tractor beneath trees with over hanging limbs, the MX is great as it has a quick fold ROP. Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase and let us know what you buy.

Tractor
    Kubota L4240HST

Ended up ordering the MX5100 HST yesterday with FEL, canopy, R4's, SSQA, 3rd function valve, loaded rear tires, box blade and grapple. Should be here in 2 weeks. Really liked the M5140, but in the end, couldn't justify the extra $$ for my needs. I plan to hire a dozer to do the heavy land clearing, so it made sense to go with the MX5100 HST. I believe it is the best fit for my long-term needs and is really a great value tractor.

Thanks to everyone for your helpful insight and advice!

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

Sounds like a good plan....now the hard part comes....you have to wait on delivery.

MarkV

Tractor
    kubota mx5100hst

You won't be disappointed in your decision. That tractor will surprise you! Congrats!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast