Buying Advice Kubota tractor that has been sitting on a dealer lot

/ Kubota tractor that has been sitting on a dealer lot #1  

jvgillow

Tractor
Kubota
Hi everyone,

First post here on TBN. I've been shopping for CUTs and went to a dealer today who has a B-series TLB that is almost the exact configuration I want except for a couple small add-ons that can be ordered. However, the tractor has been sitting on the lot for about 1 year and 8 months. The dealer said if I wanted to buy it they would clean it up and replace the decals/stickers that are peeling off from sun exposure. The paint didn't look faded, just covered in dust and water spots. I am wondering if there are other things I should be concerned about, apart from basic things like battery charge and old diesel fuel that might be in the tank. Should I request they change all the tractor fluids? What about hoses on the FEL and backhoe, are those resistant to UV exposure?

The price quote appears to be decent but I am not sure how much "extra" to expect for an older machine like this. Based on Feb 2011 list prices I think they are quoting about 15% discount (about 20% off Nov 2012 list price), including delivery ~1.5 hours away.

I ran out of time to do a test drive today but obviously I would make sure the machine runs fine and all the hydraulic cylinders move smoothly before making a decision.

/ Kubota tractor that has been sitting on a dealer lot #2  
If it were me, and I wanted additional things added, I'd try to dicker and get some of the extras added at no cost above the quoted cost. I'd bargain that it doesn't need to be washed and polished and pretty decals put on it...just will get dirty again. All hoses, battery, tires, etc..should be ok for the moment, obviously, some small part of their life is already gone, but mostly negligible.

/ Kubota tractor that has been sitting on a dealer lot #3  
Some components, those with rubber come to mind first off, have a limited lifetime; however at our plant, everything was dated and our shelf life for rubber components was 5 years. Obviously you should get a discount for sitting in the sun, the discount possibly coming by options added for free or reduced cost. Are you a tough negotiator willing to walk away from a good deal in hopes the dealer will break? My wife says I am the world's worst. Our purchasing rep at CNH combines was great. We left a negotiation meeting with a supplier mad, but they were mad too. I asked him why he felt good as everyone was mad. He said that if we are ad and they are mad, we got the best deal we could make. So I took him along to help me buy my next car.

/ Kubota tractor that has been sitting on a dealer lot
If I get a "new old stock" tractor I would want a great deal but not to the point of making the dealer pissed off. Not when I may need them for product support. I would not expect them to be making much if any profit on a tractor that has sat on the lot for so long and needs to be moved. Unfortunately I don't know how much they paid for the TLB.

/ Kubota tractor that has been sitting on a dealer lot #5  
If I were you, I would buy a used tractor for a considerable savings. OR, I would buy a brand new tractor.
I would only buy a tractor that was sitting on the lot for that long if I could negotiate a price that was low enough to piss off the dealer. :)

/ Kubota tractor that has been sitting on a dealer lot
The ship has already sailed on getting a brand new one, the B3030 can't be ordered any longer and there are none left in the warehouse. Late in 2013 Kubota will most likely have the new Tier 4 compliant model released but with a substantial price increase. I went to a different dealer a couple weeks back that had a B3030 with loader sitting on the lot for ~11 months but they are in a different state and a lot further away.

/ Kubota tractor that has been sitting on a dealer lot #7  
If you go with the deal just make sure the warranty period starts from the day the tractor arrives in your yard.

/ Kubota tractor that has been sitting on a dealer lot #8  
The ship has already sailed on getting a brand new one, the B3030 can't be ordered any longer and there are none left in the warehouse. Late in 2013 Kubota will most likely have the new Tier 4 compliant model released but with a substantial price increase. I went to a different dealer a couple weeks back that had a B3030 with loader sitting on the lot for ~11 months but they are in a different state and a lot further away.
Just curious? Did you check out the dealership in Danville, Virginia? BTW, I know where you are located. My State Farm agent is in Mebane.

/ Kubota tractor that has been sitting on a dealer lot #9  
Check it out thoroughly before you sign. You don't want to get stuck with a unit that someone else returned with good reason.

/ Kubota tractor that has been sitting on a dealer lot #10  
I'd expect some discount but I don't believe it will be substantial. I'd contact Barlows first and see their price delivered to my door for a fresh model with all I wanted on it and things I didn't want on it not be on it to pay for. After getting Barlows price then see how much your actually saving for the one your looking at.
Did you say your wanting a B3030?