buying new L4610 vs L4310 ?

/ buying new L4610 vs L4310 ? #1  

richh

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 HST with loader
Ok I tryed this once before be Im sure my comp ate my post?? Have a ford 1910 with loader and ag tires. Looking at L4610 or L4310 to up grade, need more HP. Read last post about loader's and had been leaning to L4610, now Im sold. So thats that. L4610 it is. I skid alot of wood ie. long logs 15-20 ft.using a cable winch, sooo do I get ag tires on all 4 or just the rear? Or get R4 all around??? Woried about bite in the woods. Would also like to here any coments on 4-in-1 bucket's. They seam to be heavy adout 350 LBS. more than a standered bucket? This this right? Any on-line suppliers any one know of? well I know this is a snoot full but i would realy like to get some imput. thanks
Rich

/ buying new L4610 vs L4310 ? #2  
I don't know how much you want to invest in the "ultimate" tractor, but the L4610 is very nice. It's a chunk of change more than the L4310, though - more than I can understand. Still, if it had been available when I bought my L4310HST, I'd have gotten it. (Apparently, not many dealers follow these discussions because not one has responded to my inquiry about pricing or trade-in. I at least thought someone would e-mail me.) The front axle on the L4610 is very nice, and should make steering with heavy loads much easier. The hp increase is negligible, though. The new loader is very nice, with increased capacity and roll back, but they've reduced the reach somewhat to provide greater lift. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif The greater hydraulic flow is a needed improvement.

I'd skip the Ag tires completely if you're planning to do much woods work (remember, you can't mix and match between the front and rear without doing your homework because of the lead/lag problem in 4wd), and go with R4s. Now, if you're really searching for the optimum in traction and durability, go with the Michelin XM27 17.5L24's on the rear (or even 19.5's, like I did, but this can cause clearance problems with backhoes and require some reengineering) and 11-16's on the front. There really is no comparison between them and the others. They are an R4 tire with Ag cleat type tread. Very agressive and very tough. I wish Kubota offered them as a factory option.

4-in-1 buckets are heavy - 350lbs is about right for a 5' bucket, I think. But they're worth it, for the "ultimate" tractor. Incredibly more versatile. I know Carver Equipment carried Long, the brand I've got.

What else would you like an opinion on? I got a million of 'em. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ buying new L4610 vs L4310 ? #3  
Mark and RichH, I can't vouch for the Michelins they sound pretty good best of both worlds in one tire, hard to belive. As far as the R4 that would come with the tractor from the factory there junk in the woods unless you are running chains and sometimes I have to run chains on my ag cleats for skidding. But I will look into those Michlins thats for sure.
Another consideration for tire choice would be the type of ground your running on---What works great in one part of the country doesn't cut in another part of the country--Good luck
I just got some sales papers on the 4310 its time for me to upgrade within the next year so many decisions--But If Mark buys a hand crank john deere I'll put a bid in on his 4310 even though its a hydro trans /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ buying new L4610 vs L4310 ? #4  
Gordon, only your wallet could be unhappy (and maybe your wife). They're an awesome tire, and I don't mean a little bit, either - in a totally different league - a class of their own. Er, did I mention that I like them? If you call them, tell them I sent you - they still haven't sent me my Michelin jacket yet. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Seriously, though: you'll find that they're incredible tires, if you give them a chance.

Mark

/ buying new L4610 vs L4310 ? #5  
The wife doesn't mind that I'm good at spending money as long as its makes money back in return and those tires sound like they might be the ticket. But if Michelin is going to send a jacket they must really be a wallet pincher.
Take today for instance I've got more tractor work than a little bit and can't do any of it because of the mud, it wouldn't matter if I had a six wheel drive with supersonic tires mud has got me stopped dead almost rolled the 3750 yesterday fell into a sink hole I've never dropped the loader and box so quick I was glad that I didn't have the level indacator because I think it would have been pegged.
Somethings its better not to know. So today the tractor is parked until it dries out alittle. Damn septic systems--did drive her out though a scary two minutes thats for sure. Only had a couple more scrapes to do I knew where the system was just rushing to get it done now I've made more work for myself. Worst thing is the little voice in my head was saying do go in on that angle swing around, I know better than that. So for all you people who are scared to post for one reason or another even people with over seven thousand hours on their tractor make errors in judgement from time to time I'm glad mine don't happen very often. A good reality check I guess.

/ buying new L4610 vs L4310 ? #6  
Gordon, I saw a thing on TV last night that said that over 300 planes with retractable gear got belly-landed last year. Over half of those incidents were purely pilot error. And none of those pilots were "inexperienced". Kinda emphasizes the need to be careful all the time, no matter how long you've been at it, doesn't it?

Well, if it's efficiency in a tire that you're looking for, I think the Michelin's have it. I was just kidding about the jacket, but I figure that the 5 or 6 sets of these tires I've sold for them, not counting the ones I bought myself, entitle me to one. If they're not making enough for that, their markup is a little screwy, especially considering the lack of competition in this particular market.

Mark

/ buying new L4610 vs L4310 ? #7  
As with anything It only takes one second to screw up and I did just that---but by posting the stupid error it does two things
1 Never assume you all know the rest of that line---it could have cost me alot of money, I have never rolled a tractor and I damn sure don't want to find out what it feels like.

2 It only takes one second to screw up---so everyone please be---EXTRA CAREFUL---we all have loved ones to go home to at the end of the workday.