M9540 Wheel Selection - Need Advice

/ M9540 Wheel Selection - Need Advice #1  

WVBartMan

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030, M9540
I'm looking at a new M9540 and the one they have on the lot has 18.4R30 Radial/Cast on the rear and the front has 12.4R24 Radial/Steel/Waffle tires. My question is based on the ability to adjust/widen the rims in order to be more stable here in the mountains. Are there any pro's or con's concerning the cast rear wheels?

The tractor has the HDC 12-1 hydraulic shuttle transmission, any pro's or con's with this transmission? Thanks for the help and advice on this tractor purchase, I really do appreciate it.

/ M9540 Wheel Selection - Need Advice #2  
WVBartMan said:
I'm looking at a new M9540 and the one they have on the lot has 18.4R30 Radial/Cast on the rear and the front has 12.4R24 Radial/Steel/Waffle tires. My question is based on the ability to adjust/widen the rims in order to be more stable here in the mountains. Are there any pro's or con's concerning the cast rear wheels?

The tractor has the HDC 12-1 hydraulic shuttle transmission, any pro's or con's with this transmission? Thanks for the help and advice on this tractor purchase, I really do appreciate it.

I have the cast centers and 12 speed. I wouldn't have it any other way. I set my fronts out but not the rears. It is a very stable tractor in my experience.

Edit... There are very limited numbers of the 9540 left, especially with the 12 speed. You better snatch it up while you can.

/ M9540 Wheel Selection - Need Advice #3  
Our M8540 is the same tractor as the M9540 and while I would have ordered it with cast centers, I couldn't wait six weeks, so I took it as it was with regular tires that come stock on the M9540 as our dealer orders them all that way. In using the tractor on slopes pulling a 10' rotary cutter and doing FEL work, it does fine, but would have liked the cast centers. We had our wheels set wide, with only one additional adjustment available and it is extremely stable. We have the 12/12 and really like it.

I don't know of any real cons for cast wheels. We have our rear tires filled and have to put 1000 pounds+ on the 3PH to get good use out of the FEL, extra weight on the back is a good thing in my opinion as these are not heavy tractors.

Like DT86, I would jump all over it while you can get it.

/ M9540 Wheel Selection - Need Advice #4  
I took some photos of my wheels. The outside edge of the rears seem to track the outside edge of the fronts. I think both could be set out one notch farther if desired, maybe two on the front.

BTW, I have cast centers, two sets of cast weights and fluid in the rear.

image-1588424853.jpg

image-3292354989.jpg

image-2242208099.jpg

image-3310491157.jpg

As for the 12 speed, you'll always have a perfect gear for what you are doing. They also have an increased lift capacity on the 3pt hitch. 8,600 lbs vs 5,610 lbs with the standard 8 speed.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/001/8/4/1844-kubota-m9540.html

Last edited:
   / M9540 Wheel Selection - Need Advice #5  
I just purchased a tractor similar to what you are looking at, I posted a thread about it in this section, "new M9540HD12-1". I think there are some pictures in that thread showing how the tires/wheels were set when I purchased it and how I run them now.

I run my fronts at what the manual calls 63.8" track. I run my rears at what the manual calls 71.7" track. That puts the inside of my rears and the inside of my fronts at the same width. The manual says to not run the fronts at a wider setting if using a loader although you can get a lot more spacing by reversing the dished center.

The cast centers add weight, the manual says 700lbs. I don't think there is any other gain. By design the stamped steel center rear wheel has the same spacing settings as are possible with the cast center.

As for the transmission I love the 12 speed. Always seem to have the right gear available. On the flip side I don't like the cable operated shifter. I got used to it and don't struggle with it as much after 140 hours of operation. In the beginning it seemed to bind and not want to go in gear.

Neil (sp?) from Messick's says the new 60 series models have linkeage operated shifter. But he also says he'd grab a 40 series because of the cost difference. I drove 400 miles one way to get mine. It was the last one I could find anywhere near me. I paid $43.5K with loader, 3rd function on the loader, 84" bucket, 2 rear remotes, radial tires and cast rear centers. I have no idea if that's a good price or not, it's just what I paid. Good luck with your choice.

/ M9540 Wheel Selection - Need Advice #6  
Oh, I forgot to mention stability. I believe the M9540 to be more stable on steep terrain than my previous L4400 tractor. Everyone said they are stable, and they are.

Look how "squatty" this tractor looks. Way better than the L series.

DSC05852.jpg

/ M9540 Wheel Selection - Need Advice
Richard - Thanks for your reply and the others as well who took the time to give me your opinion. I decided to pull the trigger on this tractor and it should be delivered early next week. It has a cab, which my wife says is a must, 3rd function valve, 3-rear remotes (2-floats & 1 detent), FEL with 84" buckets, cast wheels on R1 radials, loaded rear tires, grill guard, hydraulic shuttle, 12 x 12 transmission, top and tilt kit, Kubota 0% for 60-month financing, all for $51k. Not sure if its a good deal or not but I hope I didn't get burned too bad. I will post pictures as soon as I receive it.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

/ M9540 Wheel Selection - Need Advice #8  
if nothing else go with the radial tires simply for the ride, it's a world of differance vs bi tires

/ M9540 Wheel Selection - Need Advice #9  
4kbota said:
if nothing else go with the radial tires simply for the ride, it's a world of differance vs bi tires

He got the radials as per his last post.