Re: Another Tractor, need advice

/ Re: Another Tractor, need advice #1  

MacTractor

Silver Member
Tractor
2008 JD 2320

Hi Folks,

A couple of years back my wife and I moved to be closer to family and as part of the move I had sold my BX25 as we did not know if we would build with property in our new location. We ended up building on an acre lot with a very challenging driveway. It is gravel approx 800 feet long and very steep. I got a few quotes from companies for snow removal which really is justifcation for me to buy another tractor. I would like something that I can put a rear blower along with the FEL and a mower. I seem to be all over the road on options, hence I am looking for some advice.

I have a faimily member who has basically a brand new (1Yr old B3300SU with a rear 64" Kubota Blower). He basically said he would consider selling it to me for $20K. It has no mower and would require a rear mower as there is no mid PTO. I would love to do but am not sure I can swing 20K. It is my fisrt choice if I could swing it. Alternatively, I found a used 2006 B7510 that looks basically new with only 178 hours. It has a rear blower and 60 MMM but the blower seems to be an economy model as it doesn't seem to have adjustable shoes. (gravel driveway) He is offering a good deal on it (14K +/-) but I am concerned about the 21 HP. It also has Turfs, which is not my first choice.

The JD dealer is quoting the 1026R but again, I think it might be too small. He is now going to quote the 2320 but I would assume the B3300SU would actually be a better deal.

I live in Canada on the East Coast, so if the pricing seems wack, this is why. Also, they all have loaders.

I will try to send a picture of the driveway, but to put it in perspective I asked 5 people to quote. 3 would not take it on, an the others quoted $120 a plow without any real guarentee that they could do it as if we get a good dumping, they will not be able to get up to plow out.

I am open to advice

Cheers,

/ Re: Another Tractor, need advice #2  

If the B3300SU is just the tractor and snow blower, then that is a heck of a deal....... For him:eek:. You could by a new B3300SU for around $15,000 according Kubota's build and price. Now if it has a loader and backhoe, then that would be a fair price. Good luck.

/ Re: Another Tractor, need advice #3  

You know, almost everyone has 0% for 60 right now.

/ Re: Another Tractor, need advice #4  
800 feet of driveway is pretty long. Your neck will get tired with a rear blower pretty fast. I think you are on the right track with a sub compact or the b series or 2320. The new BX70 is going to have a loader mounted blade as a option. That would work good for the small storm then you could use the rear blower for the big stuff. Like Mark said most brands are doing 0% for 60 and Kubota is doing no payment til April 1, 2013. If you have a real steep driveway you may want to get a set of v bar tire chains.

/ Re: Another Tractor, need advice #5  

Hi Folks,

A couple of years back my wife and I moved to be closer to family and as part of the move I had sold my BX25 as we did not know if we would build with property in our new location. We ended up building on an acre lot with a very challenging driveway. It is gravel approx 800 feet long and very steep. I got a few quotes from companies for snow removal which really is justifcation for me to buy another tractor. I would like something that I can put a rear blower along with the FEL and a mower. I seem to be all over the road on options, hence I am looking for some advice.

I have a faimily member who has basically a brand new (1Yr old B3300SU with a rear 64" Kubota Blower). He basically said he would consider selling it to me for $20K. It has no mower and would require a rear mower as there is no mid PTO. I would love to do but am not sure I can swing 20K. It is my fisrt choice if I could swing it. Alternatively, I found a used 2006 B7510 that looks basically new with only 178 hours. It has a rear blower and 60 MMM but the blower seems to be an economy model as it doesn't seem to have adjustable shoes. (gravel driveway) He is offering a good deal on it (14K +/-) but I am concerned about the 21 HP. It also has Turfs, which is not my first choice.

The JD dealer is quoting the 1026R but again, I think it might be too small. He is now going to quote the 2320 but I would assume the B3300SU would actually be a better deal.

I live in Canada on the East Coast, so if the pricing seems wack, this is why. Also, they all have loaders.

I will try to send a picture of the driveway, but to put it in perspective I asked 5 people to quote. 3 would not take it on, an the others quoted $120 a plow without any real guarentee that they could do it as if we get a good dumping, they will not be able to get up to plow out.

I am open to advice

Cheers,

I agree that the price on the used B3300 seems a bit high for used, even with a loader.

I really think your best bet is to price a new machine because of the current 0% financing and no payments until April promotion going on now. For an acre, a BX would be a good size, however only if your acre is at the top or bottom of the very steep drive. If you have to run the machine on a hilly property, then that may be a bit much for a BX. In that case, I'd recommend moving up to the B2x20 series. A little bit bigger with a little better ground clearance.

If you buy new, you can option it up and add attachments to get the exact setup you want. In your case, I think a front mount blower might be your best bet for that long of a drive if you need to use it throughout most of the winter. Then you can add a mid-mount mower.

/ Re: Another Tractor, need advice #6  
   / Re: Another Tractor, need advice #7  
   / Re: Another Tractor, need advice

Thanks for the posts everyone.

I priced out a new 3300SU here and with Loader and Blower is comes to around $20500 before tax. Tax here is 13% so the argument that was presented to me was that at $20K on the 1 year old one I would be saving the tax. ($2665)

Again, I am in Atlantic Canada with pricing basically BS.

So here are my options:

1.. New 3300SU for 20.5K plust 13% Tax (Loader/Rear Blower)
2.. New 2320HST for 19.5K plus 13% Tax (Loader/Mower/Rear Blower)
3.. Used 2011 L3200 170 hrs for 19K no tax (Loader but no blower) Used local in Kijij (Might be too big for mowing the lawn)
4.. User 2006 7510 180 hrs for 14.5K no tax (Loader/MMM/Rear Blower) (Blower is kind of crappy)

The last option is to go down a notch to a BX2660, but I am not sure if this will be the best approach.

I like the 7510 but am concerned about the 21HP for my driveway with a blower.

Thoughts?

/ Re: Another Tractor, need advice #9  

Hi Folks,

I am open to advice

Cheers,

For one acre, I can't believe the 1026R would be to small. I have a X740 diesel which is 2WD and smaller and I can blow a 700 foot driveway after a foot of snow in about an hour a little bit. I would get a front mount blower, if it was me, for a more enjoyable blow. I don't know your average snowfall or how steep the driveway is but 1026r seems pretty capable, but I never drove one. If you get a much bigger tractor, what are the plans for it on the off-snow season?

/ Re: Another Tractor, need advice

For me it is the slope and size of my driveway. I had a BX25 in the past and found it to be a great machine. I told myself many times that if I had the option to do it again, I would have picked a larger tractor as there were many times it would have made things easier.

I plan on mowing and completing the landscaping here on my property as it is a basically a new build. Lots to do with it. I like the idea of the 1026R for the mowing, but would prefer the 2320 I think. I am leaning Kubota again.

Like buying a boat.....

For one acre, I can't believe the 1026R would be to small. I have a X740 diesel which is 2WD and smaller and I can blow a 700 foot driveway after a foot of snow in about an hour a little bit. I would get a front mount blower, if it was me, for a more enjoyable blow. I don't know your average snowfall or how steep the driveway is but 1026r seems pretty capable, but I never drove one. If you get a much bigger tractor, what are the plans for it on the off-snow season?