Looking at new and used Kubota BX's

/ Looking at new and used Kubota BX's #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
My girlfriend is in need of a machine to clear her driveway. She originally planned to put a blade on her sport atv but I do not believe it will handle the weight very well and she is going to need a machine to mow her lawn anyway so I floated the idea of buying a sub-compact that would do both chores. There is a used BX1800 with mmm and front snow blower and 400 hours not too far away for $6k. I also got a price on a new BX1860 with MMM and Front blower for $13,495 and also priced it with a loader instead of the blower for $12,995. She can save $1k by paying cash (which she plans to). But I really am not too familar with the BX line. On the used unit is there anything I should look at in particular (outside of the basics)?

We are also going to look at some new and low houred used John Deeres as well. She has 35 acres but only about 1 acre of yard and a decent sized driveway. The majority of the property is open field that would be maintained by a neighboring farm. If going new she is leaning towards the loader just for the same reasons we all want loaders, more useful year round then a snow blower. Carrying brush and debris out to the woods and other tasks as needed.

Is there any reason the BX1800/1860 wouldn't be a good option for her use?

/ Looking at new and used Kubota BX's #2  
I had a BX 22 I used for mowing 2acres. It worked well. My father mows about 1.5 AC with a BX23 and he loves his tractor. I imagine the BX18 would do just fine mowing. I would also opt for a loader and maybe a bolt on blade if needed. You can always bolt the blade to the loader, it's tough to bolt a loader to a blade. The other cost involved is the MMM. New I believe they are in the 2k area. I have seen them almost new on CL for 1k or so.

/ Looking at new and used Kubota BX's #3  
I think she would be happy with it.

With what you are used to, I think any sub-compact with a loader is going to seem disappointing. But you have to understand that they ARE SCUT's and you will be fine.

/ Looking at new and used Kubota BX's #4  
And if you do go new, most important thing is get what SHE likes regardless. Dont pressure her one way or the other. IE: if she wants a deere, and you insist on and end up getting a bota, everytime something dont work right, or needs fixed, it is going to be your fault.

/ Looking at new and used Kubota BX's
And if you do go new, most important thing is get what SHE likes regardless. Dont pressure her one way or the other. IE: if she wants a deere, and you insist on and end up getting a bota, everytime something dont work right, or needs fixed, it is going to be your fault.

I am the one pushing her to try multiple brands. She has said she will buy whatever I recommend. I just want something reliable and easy for her to operate. She isn't new to equipment so hopefully we can find something good for her.

Also I doubt I will use it much at all except if she asks me to help her. It is her machine, I have my own toys that keep me busy.

/ Looking at new and used Kubota BX's #6  
that what i have a bx 1830 with a 3pt snow blower and a loader and its good enought for me

that what i have a bx 1830 with a 3pt snow blower and a loader and its good enought for me

What size blower do you have on the back?

/ Looking at new and used Kubota BX's #8  
We have a BX2660 with a Curtis cab and the 60" hydraulic front blade. Works very well to remove snow in comfort. We have the B7500 as backup to push back banks.
If I wanted to just get out of the snow for cheap, I would price an "Original Tractor Cab" cab. Was ~800 for a cab with a wiper and glass windshield on the Cub Cadet GT3200 at the hotel I worked for and it has been a decent cab (not as heavy as the Curtis, but for 1/3 the price, as long as she doesn't try to push trees over with the cab, she should be fine.

Aaron Z

/ Looking at new and used Kubota BX's #9  
Well -- a BX would mow very well and clear snow just fine. I started out with a loader and later added a plow which in my opinion is alot better then FEL in snow. with 35 acres, I cant help but wonder if she should move up to a B size. If she does stick with the BX, you could point her in the BXpanded.com direction. they have a plow that is relatively easy to hook up to the fel to plow snow with.

Well -- a BX would mow very well and clear snow just fine. I started out with a loader and later added a plow which in my opinion is alot better then FEL in snow. with 35 acres, I cant help but wonder if she should move up to a B size. If she does stick with the BX, you could point her in the BXpanded.com direction. they have a plow that is relatively easy to hook up to the fel to plow snow with.

The 35 acres is mostly open field and around 10 acres of woods. She has no plans to work the property, the farmer takes care of the field and her family will manage the wood lot for timber. If for some reason she needs something done that a sub-compact can't do then that is what I am for. I have the bigger toys.

Thanks for the info and BXpanded.com. I was already thinking about looking at blade options if she has trouble clearing snow with the loader (does take some getting use to).