L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #91  
I know early you said your were going to pay cash for the implements. Have you looked at a Woods HBL-84 or a Monroe Tuffline GB4-84. I think they are both stronger than LP2684 and the DD 5007. They both should be in the $1200 range. Everything attachments just came out with a new grapple it looks really nice. Everything Attachments Wicked Root Grapple for Compact Tractors

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #92  
Hydraulic angling. None of us are getting any younger. ;)

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing
Can always get the hydraulics custom added. Seems like a bigger PitA to unbolt for offset.

Last edited:
   / L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #94  
So dealer sent me an email and said grapple manufacturer recommended 64" grapple with the L3940. It weighs about 140 lbs more than the 48". I almost took the recommendation but then I read through a bunch of the grapple threads and changed my mind, yet again, and told him to go back to 48".

I got prices on the LP RB2684 and 3584. The 26 is about $300 more than the Dirt Dog 5007 and the 35 is $1,200. Hard to justify.

Hope I don't regret either decision but without the experience I'm thankful to have the folks here that were kind enough to voice their opinions.

I think you'll be happy with either size grapple. I tend to like the dealers suggestion. I have had two now and try to get as close to the width of the rear tires as possible. After all, My Loader bucket is not 48" either. Keep in mind, I'm not knocking any others opinions, but only giving you mine. I like to clear the width of my rear tires as I move thru brush, logs and debris. Especially if I'm bush hogging and don't want my rear tire or bush hog running over something I missed. I hope you like the L3940, I had THE L3830 and loved it. Great tractor! I agree you do want to get the correct weight though.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #96  
Hydraulic angle would be very nice to have on 3PH blade but I think a TNT would be better to have at first. it would be more versatile. if you are going to be just your own driveway you can probably angle it one notch and leave it there for the majority or maybe all of it.

I think you'll be happy with either size grapple. I tend to like the dealers suggestion. I have had two now and try to get as close to the width of the rear tires as possible. After all, My Loader bucket is not 48" either. Keep in mind, I'm not knocking any others opinions, but only giving you mine. I like to clear the width of my rear tires as I move thru brush, logs and debris. Especially if I'm bush hogging and don't want my rear tire or bush hog running over something I missed. I hope you like the L3940, I had THE L3830 and loved it. Great tractor! I agree you do want to get the correct weight though.

You are right a grapple would be very nice to have on while brush hogging.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #97  
So dealer sent me an email and said grapple manufacturer recommended 64" grapple with the L3940. It weighs about 140 lbs more than the 48". I almost took the recommendation but then I read through a bunch of the grapple threads and changed my mind, yet again, and told him to go back to 48".

I got prices on the LP RB2684 and 3584. The 26 is about $300 more than the Dirt Dog 5007 and the 35 is $1,200. Hard to justify.

Hope I don't regret either decision but without the experience I'm thankful to have the folks here that were kind enough to voice their opinions.

You'll be happy with the 48 and the extra cash in your wallet. There are a whole bunch of guys with similar size tractors here that got the 48. I don't recall anyone ever saying they wished they'd gotten a bigger one.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing
You'll be happy with the 48 and the extra cash in your wallet. There are a whole bunch of guys with similar size tractors here that got the 48. I don't recall anyone ever saying they wished they'd gotten a bigger one.

I read a bunch of the threads (many of them in which you posted ;)) which is what convinced me. Now if I could just make up my mind on the **** blade...still leaning towards the DD5007 for the exact reason 94Bullitt mentions--except when pushing, it'll be at the first angle and offset to the right to get this stupid white dirt of my driveway in the winter.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #99  
For tire chains I would look into getting something like the Aquiline MPC chains. They are not cheap but are built to be used on pavement. I'm a firm believer in "you get what you paid for", tire chains included. They cost more because the steel used is a much stronger grade.
CHAINAQUILINEMPCbox.JPG

When I got my 4240 I didn't get a cab because I also use it in the woods. If you only have a couple of trails you drive on and you can clear the branches out then I would look into a cab. For me that's not really an option. On rare occasions I wouldn't mind a cab but the number of times that I would have broke a window or ripped a mirror off reminds me that no cab was the correct choice.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #100  
Yeah.. me I didn't get a cab because I couldn't afford one.. and truth be told, for the few times a year I'm really wishful I had it, I'm glad I saved the money. The last couple days falls into the "wish I had it" category, with cold and blowing snow. I like fresh air in summer too, and we don't get truly stinking hot weather when you need AC to survive. Those days, I stay on the verandah and have a cool drink.

I'd have it beat to death in the woods too..

Sean