L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #111  
I think 94BULLITT has a good point. I wouldn't think the dealer would deliver the tractor on a trailer that wasn't built heavy enough, but you should make sure. If the GVW is only slightly more than the weight of your tractor with or without any attachment, then you probably should look for something with 10K GVW. Most of the trailers I see in the 7K GVW have brakes on one axle. With brakes on both axles I would think it is more than 7K GVW. Anyhow, find out for sure it's weight capacity and whether it has brakes on both axles. The dealer should know the specifics of the trailer (make, weight, brakes, etc.) if it's new. If the trailer can handle the weight, it has brakes on both axles, and it comes with good tires (new?), $2K is a good price. You should get a trailer that isn't stressed out hauling your tractor. Good Luck.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #112  
If you load tires or have any implement on 3 point, you will have exceeded the 7K rating on trailer. I have 10K trailer for my L3940, FEL, and implement. Add up your weights. Tractor + FEL + FEL bucket + quick hitch + box blade + trailer = minimum required rating of trailer. Guarantee you that will be over 7K. Philip.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #113  
If you load tires or have any implement on 3 point, you will have exceeded the 7K rating on trailer. I have 10K trailer for my L3940, FEL, and implement. Add up your weights. Tractor + FEL + FEL bucket + quick hitch + box blade + trailer = minimum required rating of trailer. Guarantee you that will be over 7K. Philip.

Tractor without an implement will probably exceed 7k GVWR on the trailer.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing
Tractor without an implement will probably exceed 7k GVWR on the trailer.

I've been doing the math--it doesn't add up. They are using 26' truck pulling 18' trailer. Delivering to me first than another stop. I'm not sure what else the are delivering but with all I'm getting, it seems like it will be a LOT more than 7k lbs. My Ford Expedition EL can tow max of 8,700 which should be just enough....

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #115  
With the weight of the tractor being that much, the dealer must be wrong on the GVW of the trailer. Mailbox said the dealer told him he "thought" the GVW was 7000 pounds. The dealer must have been wrong. Why would he even consider delivering a tractor on a trailer that would be maxed out with just the tractor? And then he is offering to sell the trailer upon delivery? Something is wrong! If that trailer has brakes on both axles, I think it has GVW of 10K or more. Mailbox - You need to sure of the weight capacity of the trailer. If the dealer can verify the trailer's load capacity being 10K or more and it will handle the weights PHILIP8N and 94BULLITT discuss in their postings, then I think $2K is a great price. Otherwise, put the $2K toward a trailer that has adequate GVW.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #116  
Here are my weights. L3940HST (3627#) <tires are NOT loaded>, LA724 loader with quick attach (1086#), HD round back bucket (400#), 6' box scrapper (1150#). Just that equals 6263 pounds, and you still have to add trailer weight to that. Philip.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #117  
Some stuff on the straight truck to be offloaded using your new FEL :) 18 ft will be close if you put a RFM on your tractor. It would work, but a 20 ft 10k trailer will be better.

I haul my L5740 with FEL on a 16 ft 7k trailer No room for implements its heavy but doable with a good tow truck (07 GMC 3500)

In reality, I hadn't even considered a trailer at this point, but when I was discussing deliver with the dealer, he mentioned he'd be delivering with the truck and trailer and asked whether I wanted the trailer. I've followed up to try and get more information on the trailer. I certainly agree there is not point in a getting a trailer that can't handle the tractor.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #119  
In reality, I hadn't even considered a trailer at this point, but when I was discussing deliver with the dealer, he mentioned he'd be delivering with the truck and trailer and asked whether I wanted the trailer. I've followed up to try and get more information on the trailer. I certainly agree there is not point in a getting a trailer that can't handle the tractor.

How often do you think you will need a trailer?

I usually just pay someone to transport mine or rent a trailer from a local rental lot. I can get one for $40 per day and don't have to worry about storing it and keeping up with it. I rarely need one though.

How often do you think you will need a trailer?

I usually just pay someone to transport mine or rent a trailer from a local rental lot. I can get one for $40 per day and don't have to worry about storing it and keeping up with it. I rarely need one though.

That's a good point. I don't anticipate needing a trailer that often. On the other hand, I've never had one before so it's hard for me to anticipate for what I might use it. I guess if it was the right trailer and a good deal, it might be worth it--storage is always an issue.