L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #121  
That's a good point. I don't anticipate needing a trailer that often. On the other hand, I've never had one before so it's hard for me to anticipate for what I might use it. I guess if it was the right trailer and a good deal, it might be worth it--storage is always an issue.

Agreed, it is hard to tell and we have a goose neck out at our farm that hasn't moved out of its tracks in over ten years. We do use some 16' as well as a 12' and little tilt bed trailers around our farms, but a trailer big enough to haul anything bigger than one of our SCUTS just sits.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing
Agreed, it is hard to tell and we have a goose neck out at our farm that hasn't moved out of its tracks in over ten years. We do use some 16' as well as a 12' and little tilt bed trailers around our farms, but a trailer big enough to haul anything bigger than one of our SCUTS just sits.

I've got a 1966 Mustang that I know I'll be hauling around a little bit in the next year. May need to haul hay if my wife gets her way and we get some horses (probably will be my penance for getting this tractor :)). In each case, I can rent or maybe borrow for a lot less than $2k total.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #123  
I've got a 1966 Mustang that I know I'll be hauling around a little bit in the next year. May need to haul hay if my wife gets her way and we get some horses (probably will be my penance for getting this tractor :)). In each case, I can rent or maybe borrow for a lot less than $2k total.

A lot of the time a equipment trailer is not car friendly due to short ramps (cars will bottom out) and the ramps are not smooth like a car trailer . A equipment trailer usually has ramps like this.

A lot of the time a equipment trailer is not car friendly due to short ramps (cars will bottom out) and the ramps are not smooth like a car trailer . A equipment trailer usually has ramps like this.

Ahh, good to know. Thanks. Dealer did say that it had fold down ramps. Suppose I could get ramps to go over those, but then I'm getting more stuff to store....

Talked with Marvin. Trailer is 7,000 GTWR. My L3940 is on the flatbed. Going to pass on it. Delivery should be Thursday unless the weather acts up.

Jinxed myself. Weather delay.:thumbdown: Better safe than sorry, though.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #127  
I did not see anyone mention the 10-15% tongue weight that you will be reducing your trailer weight by. That weight will then be hauled by the tow vehicle and is not on the trailer/ axles. It sounds as though you will be pushing it to the limit with the 7k trailer and with the 18' length you will not have much room to adjust/ position for the proper tongue weight. A 20 ft 10,000 lb would be a nice size as was recommended. I currently have a 18' 10,000 lb Big Tex. For me personally I can't live without a trailer. I had three different trailers of my own when I was still in New York with access to a fourth and they all got used quite often. With the amount of land and projects you have planned, I would think you are going to need a trailer, especially if you do not have a pickup. Just my :2cents: Congratulations on the tractor purchase. You are going to love it. Wish I had enough land where I am at now to justify a Grand L.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #128  
Just remember if you buy a trailer you also commit to everything that goes with it. In most states each year you have to pay to register it and have it inspected. Even if you never use it the tires will break down due to the elements and will need replacing before you know it. Trailers really make sense for people who use them, I would answer the question about if you would use it enough or if you can find a place to rent one when needed.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #129  
Just remember if you buy a trailer you also commit to everything that goes with it. In most states each year you have to pay to register it and have it inspected. Even if you never use it the tires will break down due to the elements and will need replacing before you know it. Trailers really make sense for people who use them, I would answer the question about if you would use it enough or if you can find a place to rent one when needed.

I agree there is some cost to owning a trailer, but it is like every other tool one owns. I have used Maine Trailer, Registration | Maine Trailer , for most of my trailers. Multiple year registration and no inspections. You would be amazed if start looking to how many Maine trailer plates are out there. I first starting registering with them when I purchased a triple axle equipment trailer (18kw) and New York state wants to charge you by the GVW. Cost was too high for my use so I went with Maine trailer. I do not see it on their website, but you could get five year plates a while back, worth looking into. As far as tires, just make sure you buy a trailer with actual trailer tires, not car/ truck tires. I have had extremely good luck, knock on wood, with all my trailer tires. Keep the tires covered or out of the sun and they will last for a very long time, and I am pretty fanatical about tires being in good condition. I think almost anyone that owns a fair amount of land and has projects will find a lot of uses for a trailer once you own one. Sort of like a tractor or backhoe. Did not realize how much you needed it until you owned it and trying to borrow or rent is just to much of a hassle. When you need it you need it. As a matter of fact, I happen to have the day off and I think I am going to run to the steel supply and pick up some 20' lengths of steel for a few projects I am working on. Your mileage may vary. Good luck in whatever you decide.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #130  
In VA you can get a permanent trailer tag for about what it would cost for 2 years. On a trailer under 3k gross you have the option of getting a motorcycle size plate. Anything over 3k gross has have a yearly inspection.