L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #21  
@TripleR: I hadn't thought to ask about hooks. I will now. Thanks.

@Chilly: Re: hydraulics. I'm on the fence--my budget is already ballooned. I'm looking at LP blades (dealer carries and can wrap into financing) and I believe a number of them have an add on kit I could add. I'll look at the cost.

I didn't like the ones or location my dealer put on our M8540, so I took the hooks I wanted on our L5740 and a picture of where I wanted them.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing
@TripleR--as I hadn't even thought about it, I'm not sure I'd have a good idea of what I'd want and where I'd want them. What's your recommendation? Thanks.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #23  
   / L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #24  
Dealer quoted me about $165 less for a Dirt Dog 3507 vs. the LP RB1584. DD is 340 lbs vs. 289 for LP. DD has 5 forward, 3 reverse settings vs 7/5 for LP. Adjustment angles are DD 30 front/rear and LP front 45 rear 30. Is the LP worth the extra $165?

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #26  
I'm not familiar with the Dirt Dog 35 series blades, the Land Pride 15 series is fairly light duty. I've had no problems with mine, which is an RB1572, but they're not a heavy duty blade. The LP 15 series has a 1/4 inch moldboard, DD doesn't say how thick theirs is. Mine is light enough that it chatters if you're trying to grade a rocky driveway. I got it primarily for snow removal, and it's fine for that or moving loose material or gravel. The Dirt Dog 50 series blade might be a better fit for the 3940 if you're going to be doing any heavy work with it. They say it's rated for a 50 HP 2wd tractor, or a 40 HP 4wd tractor. No option for hydraulic angle, so you'd have to build your own which isn't hard if you can weld and fit steel.

The LP 26 series blades look pretty good to me, 5/16 moldboard and an option for hydraulic angle. I have no idea what the price is like, LP is usually expensive but well made.

We're pretty good at spending your money! When we got our L3400 a few years back I was watching the bottom line pretty closely too. I wish I'd gotten the QD bucket, other than that it turned out ok.

Sean

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #27  
LP has an RB1672 blade with hydraulic angle available as an option. For a cutter, I would suggest an RCR1872 with laminated tail wheel and both front and rear chain guards in lieu fo rubber.
And yes, all Landpride implements can be rolled into the Kubota "0 for 60" finance package.

Really only need the blade for snow so I'm not sure how heavy-duty I need. I don't like not being able to add the hydraulics to the blade. The 1684 is a bit heavier so maybe that. 2684 looks great but might be overkill (it's about $250-300 more than the 1584).

Also, I was on Land Pride's site and it looks like the RC1872 isn't listed and may have been replaced by the RC2072. Anyone know how it changed?

@Chilly--the budget is certainly taking a beating but now is the time to get some of these implements. Plus if I get them all now I won't have anything to obsessively research. I think the biggest problem is I don't believe I have enough room in my barn for everything now as I've got the 66 'Stang in there. Looks like I'll need to move the pole shed project up the priority list :).

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #29  
It sounds like a good setup to me. There are many threads on here debate what size and type of grapple is the best for a compact tractor, I guess it somewhat comes down to operator preference. It is going to take a good rear blade to hold that tractor. I have a woods HBL84, I found it used and I would not want any less of a blade for my L4240. Since you are looking at Land Pride I would go with a RB3684 or a RB3584

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #30  
I don't think they made an 18 series blade, I thought that too for a bit. It goes from the 15 series to the 16, which is new I think. I haven't bent my 15 series yet with the L3400, not that it wouldn't if I hooked something hard while traveling fast. In slow going it simply spins, ice chains and all. You have more HP and a lot more weight, which is why I'd consider the 26 series blades. Adding hydraulics to any blade is a matter of some steel and some welding. I think the cylinder cost me around $100 plus two hoses and some QC ends for them. Say $150 plus some steel for the brackets. One thing I DID learn the hard way is to get the right size cylinder the 1st time, and be sure it's "engineered" right. I'd recommend going no smaller than a 3" bore cylinder, the blade can have a lot of leverage if you hook something solid. When/if you do, it turns the cylinder into a pump and can over-pressurize your hoses. Larger piston = less pressure on the hoses. There ARE crossover relief valves if you want to add them, I didn't get that fancy.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/hydraulics/192127-cylinder-travel-limiter.html

Here's the thread on the re-build phase of my hydraulic angle saga. I got it right the second time around, no problems since. Yes, I AM knocking wood in the background.. if you add the hydraulics yourself, you need to be sure fully retracted = full angle in one direction and fully extended = full angle in the opposite direction. I bent the first cylinder over-extending it. It's easier than it sounds, just takes some thought and measuring. One potential problem is that with the cylinder mount above the blade I don't have power angle with the blade swung around to face backward. Not an issue for me, I don't plow that way anyway.

I don't worry too much about inside storage anymore. Paint is cheaper than buildings, my gear gets touched up in the fall before the snow hits. My harrows, rotary cutter, post hole digger and 2-bottom plow live outdoors. The tractor and logging winch live in a heated garage. I had concerns about the clutch rusting on the winch, plus it's a pig to store safely unless you have a concrete pad to sit it on. I may eventually build a lean-to for the rest of the gear, but after building a house and horse barn in the last 4 years I'm about done driving nails for a while.

Sean