Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3940; 1942 Farmall H (for sale)

Default Re: L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing

Re: the 18 series was a rotary cutter--1872. I think it's been replaced by the 2072.

Regarding adding hydraulics, if it's not set up to add them without welding, it's not happening (unless I paid someone to do the welding) as I have no equipment and more importantly, no skill... My barn is heated and I have a lean-to off the back but right now the old Farmall H and pull behind cutter is on one side and a 10 foot trailer is on the other. I really want the storage building for my cars but it would also be a nice tractor/implement home. Right now, to get the Mustang out, I have to put out ramps and then drive through the pasture to the gate. Not convenient. Doesn't matter right now as the car really isn't too road worthy, but I'm hoping to rectify that in the next year or so.

Tractor
    Kubota L3400DT

I hear you about the welding.. I wasn't much of a welder either until I met a farm girl.. now I'm thinking of getting a plasma cutter to go with the stick and MIG.. oh wretched excess !!

Sean

Tractor
    Kubota L3800, Kubota GR2120, Kubota RTV1100, Kubota 5100sc

See if you can negotiate the 50hr service as part of the out the door price?

HS

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Ford 641, Kubota L3200 HST

If you're getting the back blade mainly for snow removal, I think you would be better served with the earlier suggestion about finding a snow plow blade from a pickup truck. There are used plow blades out there and it wouldn't be too difficult for a fabrication shop to mount it on a QA plate. The QA plates are available for $100-200 or a good machine shop can make one. I have a friend who is a welder and works at a machine shop, and he had the plate made ($65 his cost). I bought an older plow ($100) that was used on a pickup truck, manual turn (I don't have extra hydraulic valve), and he did the welding to attach it to the QA plate. The nice thing about the front blade for snow is you're plowing the snow before it gets compacted by your tires, and you can plow deeper snow and pile it higher. If you get the extra hydraulic valve, you can look for a plow with power angle. Just a thought.

I would definitely have the block heater added. The tractor will start in cold weather without it, but it makes it easier and it is not an expensive add-on. They should be able to do that for no extra charge, and also I would try to negotiate in the first 50 hr service.

You've picked a great tractor and will enjoy it.

Silver Member
    Tractor

@DEK--thanks for chiming in. I will look look into your suggestion on the blade. I am getting the 3rd function (plus two rear remotes). I may still need the back blade so I'll likely still get one. Tractor will be stored in heated barn (kept at 50 degrees). If I buy local, I'll try to negotiate the 50 hour service. I'm definitely looking forward to getting it.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Ford 641, Kubota L3200 HST

I'm envious of having a 50 degree barn to store my tractor. I thought the block heater would be a good add-on should you ever need it because it is inexpensive $60-70 + installation.

Another add-on you might consider is a light package installed on the ROPS. The lights that are on the tractor are okay, but they are somewhat ineffective when using the FEL. And especially rear work lights are handy. I've been reading a lot about how bright LED lights are and they don't demand much amperage. Along the line of amperage, check in to an alternator upgrade. The extra potential might be nice now or later.

I think I would try and get whatever I could now because you'll get the best price when it is tied to the sale of the tractor. Anyhow, a few more things to think about.

Silver Member
    Tractor

Thanks DEK.

Silver Member
    Tractor

Back to the grapple. The WR Long 48 has one grapple/cylinder. 56 has 2 grapple/cylinders and is $300 more. Any advantages to having two vs. one grapple/cylinder?

Here's the current spec with price:
    L3940, R4's filled with water/methanol, QA FEL, MPTO, WR Long Front Hydraulics, 2 rear remotes (one reg, one float) (~$28,000), WR Long OBG56 (~$1,700), LP RC 1872 (~$1,950), LP RB1684 (~$800)--$32,400 (subtract $300 if go with 48" grapple). Includes $750 rebate and 0% financing for 60 months. Thoughts?

Silver Member
    Tractor

Back to the grapple. The WR Long 48 has one grapple/cylinder. 56 has 2 grapple/cylinders and is $300 more. Any advantages to having two vs. one grapple/cylinder?

Here's the current spec with price:
    L3940, R4's filled with water/methanol, QA FEL, MPTO, WR Long Front Hydraulics, 2 rear remotes (one reg, one float) (~$28,000), WR Long OBG56 (~$1,700), LP RC 1872 (~$1,950), LP RB1684 (~$800)--$32,400 (subtract $300 if go with 48" grapple). Includes $750 rebate and 0% financing for 60 months. Thoughts?

Tractor
    Kubota L3400DT

I think I'm glad mine is bought and paid for... Seriously, the prices sound about right for today, I paid a little less for the RC, but mine is an 1860 too. It's too bad you can't find a decent rear blade used, not much ever goes wrong with them except bends. The trouble is, you'll need it soon if not now, if you had the summer to shop for a used one it'd be cheaper. I think mine was about $400, and I paid too much for it anyway.

Think you can beat them into including a block heater and some tire chains? Even if you never use the heater, it's there and is a selling feature if you decide to move the tractor in the future.

Sean

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast