L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #51  
Just my :2cents: regarding a rear blade for your tractor. I would get nothing less than the LP2684

I think a L3940 could make junk of that blade especially in the 7' version. There are no braces running across the moldboard. Once you put it in tilt it would really work on it. That blade does not look much better than a RB Woods and bent and cracked a weld on one of those with a Ford 8N.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing
So what would you recommend?

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #53  
RB3684 or RBT3584, these blade will also make a decent ballast.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #54  
If you're going to plow snow, forget the rear blade and look at the quick attach power angle plow from Horst Welding. There are many dealers around. They are made in Canada. I have plowed with mine since 2006 and wouldn't have anything else. You can push snow into a pile twelve feet high. I used a rear blade for years before I bought my Branson. I had an Allis D12. My neck couldn't take looking backwards any more. You'll love it.

Sorry if this seems like a sarcastic question, but can you get one of those for $800? I agree with you that a front blade is a superior way to move snow. They're usually a heck of a lot more expensive too..

Sean

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #55  
I think a L3940 could make junk of that blade especially in the 7' version. There are no braces running across the moldboard. Once you put it in tilt it would really work on it. That blade does not look much better than a RB Woods and bent and cracked a weld on one of those with a Ford 8N.

So you feel that Land Prides ratings are worthless? :confused: That blade is rated for a 60hp tractor and weighs just under 400lbs. The L3940 will weigh in around 5000lbs and could make good use of an RBT3584. :drool: The only thing holding the OP back from getting all this great stuff is money. I'm trying to get him something that will hold up for his uses and not cost him his first born. :rolleyes:

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #56  
So you feel that Land Prides ratings are worthless? :confused: That blade is rated for a 60hp tractor and weighs just under 400lbs. The L3940 will weigh in around 5000lbs and could make good use of an RBT3584. :drool: The only thing holding the OP back from getting all this great stuff is money. I'm trying to get him something that will hold up for his uses and not cost him his first born. :rolleyes:

I agree with MtnViewRanch especially as HE is usually the one advocating heavier duty implements than needed for private CUT work.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #57  

I don't trust manufactuers ratings, sometimes I dont know where they come up with there numbers. That blade will be marginal, it does at least have a 5/16 moldboard. The spec sheet loads for 2 blades and I accidentally looked at the other one. I do think he should check into a RB3584.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing
The goal, as with most things, is a performance to price assessment to come up with value. I will not be a "power user" so to speak. This will be my first real tractor and I work 60-70 hours a week at my real job (not counting a 40 min drive each way) so I'm looking for something that is functional and easy to use for what "playtime" I have. This is a big investment for what amounts to a stress reliever (one my wife doesn't completely understand as you can hire out a lot of work for $32k). That said, I don't want to regret aspects of the purchase and I want something that I can grow into using as I get more comfortable, so I certainly appreciate all the advice.

Right now I'm thinking I'll go with the 48 in grapple saving $300 and use that to go with the 2684 blade (effectively a cost neutral move that should overall get me more performance).

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #59  
I don't trust manufactuers ratings, sometimes I dont know where they come up with there numbers. That blade will be marginal, it does at least have a 5/16 moldboard. The spec sheet loads for 2 blades and I accidentally looked at the other one. I do think he should check into a RB3584.

The L3940 is right in the middle of the rating of the 2684. It is at the max for the 1684. A problem waiting to happen IMO. No hydraulic angling for the 35 series though. :confused2:

I went through this myself with my first new tractor. Took the dealer advice for a rear blade. Bent it THE FIRST TIME that I used it. Told the dealer about it and they would do nothing about it, said that I must have abused it and that warranty would not cover abuse. That was a $1000, 680lb blade rated for a 60hp tractor put behind a 9000lb 75hp machine. IT WAS NOT A GOOD MATCH. The real killer was that I had questioned the dealer about it and was told that it would be fine. :mad: Anyway, lesson almost learned, I made the same mistake 1 more time with a landscape rake. :( :( :(

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #60  
Hello thought I would chime in.... I would accumulate all those attachments used and roll the cab into the tractor purchase. A used rotary cutter any brand will work $400-700, Qa pallet forks, $400 used rear blade 6 ft $150 etc plus gives you something to "shop" for if you buy it right and it doesnt work just peddle back into the used market.. That cab in the winter snow,, summer ac and avoiding bugs and branch smacks $$$PRICELESS

If you are careful and trim as needed the cab will work in the woods.

If you ask your dealer to seach for NEW.."old Stock" you may find a nicely optioned tracotor on some dealers lot that they are willing to do a dealer swap. I do know Barlows in KY will do a tractor search to see whats available.

I stumbled on a new "old stock" 2008 L5740 in Sept 2011 heck of a deal with the 0% included I added a FEL and was out the door under <25k