L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing
To give you an idea of the property, here's a shot looking out our front window. You can just make out the barn on the right and the Mississippi at the top of the frame.

The pasture in the view is about 1.5 acres including an overgrown .5 acre part at the far end. The area that is "fenced" (and I use that term loosely) is about 4 acres. The pasture around the barn is 1.5 acres. Behind the house the land climbs 300' over linear 1000' so won't be doing much back in there. :)

ForumRunner_20121230_110628.png

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #62  
The goal, as with most things, is a performance to price assessment to come up with value. I will not be a "power user" so to speak. This will be my first real tractor and I work 60-70 hours a week at my real job (not counting a 40 min drive each way) so I'm looking for something that is functional and easy to use for what "playtime" I have. This is a big investment for what amounts to a stress reliever (one my wife doesn't completely understand as you can hire out a lot of work for $32k). That said, I don't want to regret aspects of the purchase and I want something that I can grow into using as I get more comfortable, so I certainly appreciate all the advice.

Right now I'm thinking I'll go with the 48 in grapple saving $300 and use that to go with the 2684 blade (effectively a cost neutral move that should overall get me more performance).

If your primary use of the blade is going to be snow removal and some moderate dirt use, I think it's a good choice. A bit of extra weight and stiffness over the 15 or 16 series to reduce chatter won't go astray. Being able to easily add hydraulics in the future is a big plus. Skid shoes are an option as well..

If it ever stops snowing and blowing here, I'll put mine to use this evening!

Sean

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #63  
To give you an idea of the property, here's a shot looking out our front window. You can just make out the barn on the right and the Mississippi at the top of the frame.

View attachment 295387

Soooooo, where's that bright orange thing that we have all been talking about? :D Great view by the way. :cool:

If things go smoothy will be here in 2-3 weeks. I'm not in a huge hurry - it's 7 degrees today.:cold: (BTW-I'd go cab but given the amount of time in the woods and knowing me, cab would be wrecked within a week...).

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #65  
For snow removal, I do not think the heavy duty blades are necessary. The extra weight is good for digging into the dirt, but if you are using it on black top for snow removal only, it is not needed. When I have to work dirt, I use a 1000 pound box blade. I used a rear blade for years on black top (then got smart and some extra money and got a front blade), and if you are not careful, an extra heavy rear blade can scrap, mark, and tear up a black top driveway. As for the cab, I opted not to get one. Just like you, I am sure I would tear it up, plus, I like the open air and unobstrucred view an open station tractor offers. Easy to get on and off, hook up implements, etc. Just dress warm! Good luck, Philip.

@PHILIP8N--I see you have the 1584 with a L3940. I assume no real issues based on your post? Do you see any benefit to the 2684?

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #67  
The L3940 is right in the middle of the rating of the 2684. It is at the max for the 1684. A problem waiting to happen IMO. No hydraulic angling for the 35 series though. :confused2:

I went through this myself with my first new tractor. Took the dealer advice for a rear blade. Bent it THE FIRST TIME that I used it. Told the dealer about it and they would do nothing about it, said that I must have abused it and that warranty would not cover abuse. That was a $1000, 680lb blade rated for a 60hp tractor put behind a 9000lb 75hp machine. IT WAS NOT A GOOD MATCH. The real killer was that I had questioned the dealer about it and was told that it would be fine. :mad: Anyway, lesson almost learned, I made the same mistake 1 more time with a landscape rake. :( :( :(

I went to a dealer and told them I wanted a blade for a 8N, they sold me a Woods RB72. It was rated for tractors up to 40hp. I bent it the first time I used it. I straightened it and fixed the area were it cracked a weld. I bought a Bobcat CT235 from the same dealer and I asked if that blade would be good enough and they said yes that is what we sell for that size tractor. I put it on the Bobcat and just pulling it across the ground in 2WD you could see the moldboard flexing. What would it have done if it was tilted and offset? I ended up getting rid of it and getting a Tuffline GB4, which I am now trying to sell. I have a Woods HBL84 on the L4240 and I would not want any less. I know a guy that just bought a New Hollnad T5050, that is where I got my HBL84. The dealer sold him a HBBL96 for it, a 100hp tractor! I told him it would not be enough blade for it but he would not listen.

I really don't know how they rate this stuff, it is not all about HP. What about weight, tire type, and 2WD or 4WD. If you go buy the ratings you could run it on a M6040. In the real world I doubt a L5740 would pull that blade too much better than a L3940, there is only 300lbs difference between the two. I really don't like that the moldboard does not have any bracing. I can see it getting twisted or bent easily.

I would rather have something that is a little bit overkill that have something too light duty and have to use it cautiously.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #68  
I had a TSC King Kutter piece of poop that I used with the 8N, bent it several times. I used the 1584 with the 8N (with chains and tire ballast) for 2 seasons, worked great. I only used the 1584 on the L3940 for 1 season in conjunction with my front blade, no issues. Now I run a 1200 pound ballast box on the 3 point with my front blade, so the 1584 does not see alot of use now. If you are mainly doing snow removal, the 1584 will be fine. I suggest a hydraulic top link so you can adjust from the seat how you want the blade to dig, if you are just removing snow, less aggressive, if you need to remove a layer of ice, more aggressive. Philip.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #69  
If things go smoothy will be here in 2-3 weeks. I'm not in a huge hurry - it's 7 degrees today.:cold: (BTW-I'd go cab but given the amount of time in the woods and knowing me, cab would be wrecked within a week...).

Go for a cab and you won't regret it. The cab model is actually a little shorter than a ROPS. Just buy yourself a nice polesaw and keep the branches trimmed back on your roads in the woods. I'm the type of guy that doesn't even like to scrub the ROPS with a branch so a cab doesn't bother me at all. You can go out on a cold day and not worry about freezing.

Just buy yourself a nice polesaw and keep the branches trimmed back on your roads in the woods.

There are no roads...:eek: just overgrown pasture with a mix of 3-6 inch trees and 8-10 inchers with a few big ones.