L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #71  
There are no roads...:eek: just overgrown pasture with a mix of 3-6 inch trees and 8-10 inchers with a few big ones.

Build some.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #72  
As you get older you may wish for a cab. As others have said the heavier the blade the better in my opinion. I had a 35-06 and in 20in of snow was unsatisfactory and went to the 50-07. The added weight made life much easier did not tear up driveway and would not raise up after pushing 50 ft or so. Only wish now had hydro angling. Being almost 60 yrs old and having diabetes the cab keeps me warm in the winter. Four acres of our land is grass 17 acres is in trees. Just trimmed up the limbs so far no damage to cab. Just my two cents

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #73  
Back at the start I see tires filled with water/methane and a request for comments. Is that right - fill with water and an explosive gas? Or was it meant to be a water/methanol mixture? Since you are storing in a heated building I assume it won't be outside long enough to freeze but I have only heard of people in the north filling with beet juice or CaCl. I upgraded from an open platform to a cab mostly because of either being too cold or too hot but also to keep from getting swatted by branches. Yes, my mirrors get swatted back all the time and the rear flashers got replaced by mag mounts when they were knocked off, but no more poked eyes or comments in town that my wife beat me up again because of all the scratches and bruises on my face. I have got by with a 7' back blade for snow for 10 years but you have heavier snows down in the south than we have up here 100 miles north of Duluth. I keep looking for used truck plows at auctions but have never found anything decent that didn't go for more than my budget.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing
It is methanol. Autocorrect got me. I think it's good to -15 so should be okay.

Last edited:
So my dealer has a Dirt Dog 5007 rear blade on his lot for initial offer of $800 (same as the Bush Hog 5007: http://www.bushhog.com/images/stories/documents/manuals/RMB35_50.pdf). It can't be easily upgraded to hydraulic angle like the LP RB2684 but it looks to have a nice offset adjustment (which I'd use a lot, I think, to get snow off the drive) vs. manually unbolting the moldboard on the LP2684 to get an offset. The Dirt Dog is 455 lbs vs 396 lbs for the LP2684. Moldboards are same thickness but LP is 1.5 inches taller (17.5 vs 16). LP has more angle adjustments. I believe the LP is about $1,000. The Dirt Dog is red, in case you think matching tractor color is important...

Thoughts?

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #77  
So my dealer has a Dirt Dog 5007 rear blade on his lot for initial offer of $800 (same as the Bush Hog 5007: http://www.bushhog.com/images/stories/documents/manuals/RMB35_50.pdf). It can't be easily upgraded to hydraulic angle like the LP RB2684 but it looks to have a nice offset adjustment (which I'd use a lot, I think, to get snow off the drive) vs. manually unbolting the moldboard on the LP2684 to get an offset. The Dirt Dog is 455 lbs vs 396 lbs for the LP2684. Moldboards are same thickness but LP is 1.5 inches taller (17.5 vs 16). LP has more angle adjustments. I believe the LP is about $1,000. The Dirt Dog is red, in case you think matching tractor color is important...

Thoughts?

The non hydraulic angling is why I did not recommend the Land Pride 35 series which is basically the same as what you are now looking at. Yes the offset is BY FAR better, but with only manual angling available I figured that it was off the table. :confused3:

I personally do not like the press bent blades, not that there is anything wrong with them, I just prefer the roll formed blades.

Just out of curiosity, how much would a Land Pride RBT3584 add to your payment? That is the ultimate blade in this size IMO. Price it out with and with out hydraulics and be sure to get the skid shoes. At 0% spread out over 60 months may not be all that bad. You won't know without asking. ;)

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #78  
I liked the looks of the DD 5007 blade when I looked a couple days ago. As for the hydraulics, if you are going to start welding ( most of us did after a short period of tractor ownership !) it's a good project when the time is ready. The weight is a plus, and the offset adjustment on the Land Pride blades (unbolt type anyway) is a PIA. I just adjust my lift arms all the way to one side to get a fair bit of offset.

It's a trade off in a lot of respects. You have to look at which features are more important to you. Before I added the hydraulics to mine, I didn't use more than a couple different angles anyway. Even now, it's often either straight or all the way to one side or another. Fine adjustment is good if you're trying to get a driveway nice and level (gravel), but snow is usually shoved as far to one side as you can get it and be done with it.

Land Pride has a really good name, and you pay for that too.

Sean

Thanks for the input. I'm guessing my blade will be used 90+% for snow. I'd offset right, angle 15 or 30 and go down the drive way and back up. I have some parking areas where I'll likely push in reverse. To be honest, I doubt I'll start welding anytime soon--I'd more likely pay someone or trade some work. For the heck of it, I threw an email to the dealer on the LP RBT3584 just to see what they'd do on it.

/ L3940 - Order Spec - Tell me what I'm missing #80  

Thoughts?

The problem with that blade is you will have to pay interest on it if you include it in the loan. If you have $800 cash to buy it I would look for a good used blade. You should be able to find a very nice one for $800. Offsetting is okay but if you have a good wet snow it will pull the tractor sideways. I don't know if being able to angle alot is real important especially in the snow. The more you angle the narrow the blade get, it cuts down on the width. You would need a real wide blade at 45* to be as wide as the tractor. The more you angle the blade the easier it is for the snow to pull you sideways. Most truck plows only angle 30*.