difference between m7040 and m7040su

/ difference between m7040 and m7040su #1  

forgottenben

Does anyone know what is the difference between these models? What is the difference from a partially synchronized transmission and a fully synchronized transmission? Thanks

/ difference between m7040 and m7040su #2  
Does anyone know what is the difference between these models? What is the difference from a partially synchronized transmission and a fully synchronized transmission? Thanks

The M7040SU is a basic utility tractor without all of the bells and whistles of the M7040. It is still a very capable machine. Partially synchronized means that not all gears are synchronized. What fully synchronized means is that you could start in, say, first gear, then while moving shift very smoothly to second and on up. On a partially synchro machine, usually the higher gears are synchronized... So, on a four speed tranny, first to second, no synchro, so could be a noisy shift if under motion, so better to start in second. Same as second to third. On the M7040SU, I believe third to fourth are synchronized, so if you want to "shift gears on the fly", you would start in third, and could shift smoothly to fourth.

/ difference between m7040 and m7040su #3  
The Kubota website has a lot of information on those models. The SU is "special utility" while the regular M7040 is referred to as "deluxe".

I had an opportunity to see both side-by-side and the SU was definitely a bare bones model. Same engine so it will do the work just like the deluxe model. It also comes in 2WD as an option.

Do a "Build Your Own" on the Kubota site and it will flesh out the differences.

/ difference between m7040 and m7040su #4  
gotta watch, these is also an "SUHD" model that says "SU" on the side of the hood but its actually the more deluxe model with a standard platform.

/ difference between m7040 and m7040su #5  

The SU is a cost reduced version without some of the standard features of the M7040. The SU lacks extendable lift arms and, much more significantly, a fully synchronized main transmission.

I shopped both but quickly ruled out the SU because the main transmission is synchronized in 3rd and 4th only.

I eventually bought a Massey Ferguson.

SDT

/ difference between m7040 and m7040su
thanks, that helps a lot.

/ difference between m7040 and m7040su #7  
i own a 7040su i hate the 3pt arms are in a fixed state like the others have stated and the hydro shuddle is nice then the mech suddle which i have it gets tiresome pushing the clutch in to go forward to reverse i hope that help

/ difference between m7040 and m7040su #8  
The Kubota website has a lot of information on those models. The SU is "special utility" while the regular M7040 is referred to as "deluxe".

I had an opportunity to see both side-by-side and the SU was definitely a bare bones model. Same engine so it will do the work just like the deluxe model. It also comes in 2WD as an option.

Do a "Build Your Own" on the Kubota site and it will flesh out the differences.

"flesh out the differences"....i like that.......another diff in addition to not being able to downshift in motion to 1st/2nd in SU model w/o grinding gears, is that your legs straddle gearshift on SU, while the shift deck on "deluxe" is to right of operator.
amazing that kubota offers so many model choices and options within each model. another reason to educate yourself in forums like this one....i didn't, and kept trading in till i got what i wanted, paying the price for ignorance (of course, i pay every day for ignorance in all areas of my life)
if you have the time to err to patience in your decision, it will pay off in the long run.... good time of year to research. good luck

/ difference between m7040 and m7040su #9  
I have a M7040su and the non sinc 1st & 2nd gears do not bother me at all, and you can shift from 2nd to 3rd or 4th while on the move. And the straddle gear shift is like driving and ole 8n. I didn't want the Hydra shuttle and I didn't want the turbo, so I'm very happy with the SU.

Charlie