Buying Advice They are out of the M7040 HDC....Should I get the M6040 HDC instead?????

/ They are out of the M7040 HDC....Should I get the M6040 HDC instead????? #1  

verdanthills

Tractor
Case IH Farmall 95
Hi All,

I was set to purchase an M7040 HDC to raise/harvest hay on 20 acres and to maintain pastures on another 55 acres. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get a new M7040 HDC unit at this point. The jump to the M8560 HDC is just too much in terms of tractor and price to justify for my small operation. I don't have the hay harvesting equipment yet but will be purchasing that used. Most of the mower/conditioners and small square balers I've been looking at require about 50 hp at the PTO.

I was wondering if you all would think it's a mistake to downsize and purchase an M6040 HDC instead of the M7040 HDC? Or should I wait until the new M7060 HDC arrives? I would prefer the tier 3 engine of the 40 series over the the complications of the tier 4 engine of the 60 series. I would appreciate your wise thoughts!

Many thanks!

/ They are out of the M7040 HDC....Should I get the M6040 HDC instead????? #2  
It will be your decision in the end. Just a thought? Have you asked you dealer to locate that model at another dealership and have it shipped? That what my dealer did when I ordered my L4400. It came from another dealer's location and I saw it arrive in the crate. Best wishes.

/ They are out of the M7040 HDC....Should I get the M6040 HDC instead?????
It will be your decision in the end. Just a thought? Have you asked you dealer to locate that model at another dealership and have it shipped? That what my dealer did when I ordered my L4400. It came from another dealer's location and I saw it arrive in the crate. Best wishes.

I have tried 4 local dealers in my area; none of them have units left. My local dealer has tried trading with other dealers as far as 1000 miles away but none of the remote dealers are willing to give up their units. I have contacted a dealer in Georgia...but I was quoted a shipping cost of $3600 which makes it cost prohibitive.

/ They are out of the M7040 HDC....Should I get the M6040 HDC instead????? #4  
I have tried 4 local dealers in my area; none of them have units left. My local dealer has tried trading with other dealers as far as 1000 miles away but none of the remote dealers are willing to give up their units. I have contacted a dealer in Georgia...but I was quoted a shipping cost of $3600 which makes it cost prohibitive.

I would never go smaller. Many people have regretted making that decision. I started out knowing a 7040 would do everything I needed to do and ended up with a 9540. I never regret that.

There are many nice used 7040's floating around. You might even find a larger used tractor that suits your budget. Is used an option? If had found what I wanted locally I would have considered used.

Last edited:
   / They are out of the M7040 HDC....Should I get the M6040 HDC instead????? #5  
I'm not familiar with the M6040, but from looking at the Kubota website, it shares the same engine with the M7040 and weighs the same, both are available with 8/8 Hydraulic Shuttle transmissions. It doesn't appear that you will be losing too much, but as I said I am only going by the website.

foreman Etexas traded his M5040 in for a second M7040, so he may be able to give you a better idea of the HP etc needed for your operations; wish I could be of more help.

/ They are out of the M7040 HDC....Should I get the M6040 HDC instead????? #6  

I experienced the same thing trying to find a M8540 or M9540. The dealers that have them know they can sell them so won't dealer trade. I drove 450 miles one way to buy mine because that dealer wouldn't trade it to my local dealer. No hard feelings, I totally understand. The 40 series are being bought up by customers that don't want to spend the extra money for the 60 series.

According to TripleR's post there isn't much difference between the 6040 and 7040 other than 10 HP. Kinda the same thing with the 8540/9540.

But as others will say, I'd be reluctant to downgrade unless I was pressured into it.

Welcome to the stressful World of "New Tractor Buying". :laughing:

/ They are out of the M7040 HDC....Should I get the M6040 HDC instead?????
I'm not familiar with the M6040, but from looking at the Kubota website, it shares the same engine with the M7040 and weighs the same, both are available with 8/8 Hydraulic Shuttle transmissions. It doesn't appear that you will be losing too much, but as I said I am only going by the website.

foreman Etexas traded his M5040 in for a second M7040, so he may be able to give you a better idea of the HP etc needed for your operations; wish I could be of more help.

From what I can read from Kubota, it seems like there is an 8 hp difference both overall and at the PTO between the M6040 (63/56 at PTO) and M7040 (71/64 at PTO).

/ They are out of the M7040 HDC....Should I get the M6040 HDC instead????? #8  
From what I can read from Kubota, it seems like there is an 8 hp difference both overall and at the PTO between the M6040 (63/56 at PTO) and M7040 (71/64 at PTO).

Yeah, I am going only by the website as from it they look like the same tractor, same tire size, length, hydraulics, 3PH lift capacity etc. I have never even seen one or even the 5140, dealers here keep pretty much 8540/9540 in the M Series.

I went with an M8540 set up like a M9540 as I didn't really need the HP or fuel cost or added cost, but would have bought one if that's what was available.

From what you describe as uses, I don't really see a problem, but like I mentioned, I don't know squat about hay other than I hauled way too much. You may very well benefit from the extra PTO HP, otherwise most tractors have more power than traction.

It doesn't look like you are gaining that much with the M7040 and you know the cost of a M7060 is going to be a bit grim. You might want to get a firm price on an M8540 compared to an M7060.

Some people used Barlow's or Messicks, but I don't know if it is practical for you.

Just some thoughts.

/ They are out of the M7040 HDC....Should I get the M6040 HDC instead????? #9  
Call Barlows and ask for Steve or Brady, they will get you one and probably a good price too..

/ They are out of the M7040 HDC....Should I get the M6040 HDC instead????? #10  
Have you tried looking on tractor house or fastline? There may be a dealer that is somewhat close to you that has one.