best model for crawling irregular terrain?

/ best model for crawling irregular terrain? #1  

ohbehave

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200 (2012)
I'm going to be cutting trees and moving the refuse (probably on the front bucket or on a trailer pulled by the tractor)

There are various kinds of terrain and ditches that I will be crawling over and around....

Although tractors are imperfect for this, what is a good model for this kind of thing?

I'm considering the B3300su....and in my area, I probably won't be getting the miracle deals that I'm seeing in this forum.

/ best model for crawling irregular terrain? #2  
I have owned a B3300SU for eleven months. I have 197 hours on it.
I bought model B3300SU for its maneuverability in the woods and power.
I had the use of a sub-compact JD-750, but 20-horsepower was insufficient for common woods tasks.

If you price out a base model Kabota and add options like FEL, 4-WD, etc., that are standard on the B3300SU, you will find B3300SU combination is a good deal.

I doubt the B3300SU is any more/less of a crawler than other tractors. However, after a year of sitting up there, high, I am much more confident the tractor will stay upright than I was in the beginning. My rear tires are not filled. Filling the rear tires will lower the center-of-gravity but filled tires are a handicap in other ways.

Photo #3 + #4 show aluminum Debris Forks from Payne's Forks plus Ken's Bolt-On (Bucket) Grab Hooks.

Your trailer needs to be as much of a crawler as your tractor. I have a single axle MUTS light logging trailer which gives excellent service. The load is carried low, between the low pressure tires. Other trailer designs have the load carried on a flat bed over the axle, cheaper to manufacture but much less stable.

MUTS LINK:

MUTS - Multi-Use Trailer System for your ATV, Quad and 4 Wheeler - Welcome

Here is another informative T-B-N post:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/266532-trigger-now-how-do.html

Attachments

• IMG_0488.JPG
    IMG_0488.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0377.JPG
    IMG_0377.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
   / best model for crawling irregular terrain? #3  
I'm going to be cutting trees and moving the refuse (probably on the front bucket or on a trailer pulled by the tractor)

There are various kinds of terrain and ditches that I will be crawling over and around....

Although tractors are imperfect for this, what is a good model for this kind of thing?

I'm considering the B3300su....and in my area, I probably won't be getting the miracle deals that I'm seeing in this forum.

If the terrain is steep i would set the rears as wide as possible and get them filled with rim guard. Barlows shouldn't be too far from you and from what i've seen on this forum they give very fair deals.

/ best model for crawling irregular terrain? #4  
Yes, definitely contact Barlow's if you're not happy with what your finding at the local dealers. I've purchased 2 machines from Barlow's.

Both my B series that I've owned are essentially the same size as the B3300, and I live on a sloped mountain property, and have been very pleased with the performance. I did not have the wheel spacers on my B3030, but my B3000 does have the spacers. Both machines had/have loaded rears, which I highly recommend on hilly terrain.

Here's a shot of my B3030 bringing logs up to my cutting & splitting staging area. One of the few flat areas on my property, but I had to dig it out to make it flat, as with every other flat section of my property that have been dug out and/or filled in, all with the B series.

Oh, one other thing. Be careful with trailers on rough, sloping terrain, as they can create problems pulling the tractor around. On the roughest terrain, skidding would be the best bet, and a grapple or forks can be very helpful moving logs & brush.

Attachments

• 153_5312.jpg
    153_5312.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 202