L5450 with a LM610

/ L5450 with a LM610 #1  

clayhardock

Tractor
JD 2720 & 2305 & F932
I need a tractor to pull a 7-8ft mower for a small grass cutting company I run. Currently I use a JD F932 front deck mower with a 72" deck but the mowing I do(rough fields) is starting to take its toll on it. As well I have a small acerage(4 acres) so having a multiuse tractor(bucket, forks, etc) is very appealing.

I'm looking for something in the 40hp PTO range and have found a nice looking L5450. However is a bit older(1995) and pricier than I would like($18K). For that price I can get a 3yr old 40HP Montana with cab(mmmm AC). Ideally I'd like to stay green, only because the local JD dealer has an awesome parts dept and has been very good to me. However used JDs are rare and $$$. Not to keen on Montana either as the dealer is about 2hrs away. Not a good thing when you depend on the tractor for a business.

Never bought/owned Kubota before but I have two dealers within 30mins of me so if I do need parts chances are decent one of them will have it.

So I've searched and everyone says these are probably the best tractor that Kubota ever made, however being an older tractor when you do need parts are they readily available, does your local dealer stock much for parts for them? When they do have to order them in, is it quick? IE does Kubota have well stocked regional warehouses?

The unit I'm looking at is 1995 with 1100hrs. Its has an LM610 loader, anyone know how this compares to the standard la1001 loader? Only has a single aux. hydraulic port so I'm guessing no backhoe option. Any thoughts on how it would handle an 8ft mower? I'm guessing it will have ample HP. Hows the turning radius?

Whats the shuttle shift like? Is it easy to go from forward to reverse? I do a fair bit of FWD/REV sometimes getting into the tight areas.

Might be a strange question to some but.. how is the ride and seat? I spend 6-8 hrs continuously riding this thing some days. Having something that rides decent is important to my back.

Whats is like to work on? My John Deere's are great/simple. The only Kubotas I've worked on are RTV1100s for work. They're ok.

Any thoughts on the price? Hard to compare as near as I can tell any tractor up here(Alberta) is 30-50% more than in the Southern US. I have considered bringing one up but I really don't want to buy one unseen.

/ L5450 with a LM610
One more thing, what hitch does Kubota use the 5450 for the bucket quick attach?

/ L5450 with a LM610 #3  
... when you do need parts are they readily available......The unit I'm looking at is 1995 with 1100hrs. Its has an LM610 loader, anyone know how this compares to the standard la1001 loader? Only has a single aux. hydraulic port so I'm guessing no backhoe option. Any thoughts on how it would handle an 8ft mower? I'm guessing it will have ample HP. Hows the turning radius?......Whats the shuttle shift like? Is it easy to go from forward to reverse?........ how is the ride and seat? .......Whats is like to work on? Any thoughts on the price?........

In my experience every dealer has filters etc. and in the rare case you need something like a seal or external linkage part they are available quickly drop shipped. Thing is, they rarely need anything. I've had two L5450's - remarkable build quality. The hydraulic shuttle is quick and nicely valved for smooth shifts. Turning circle is tight (stays in it's own shadow with one brake on). Plenty of power for my 90" RFM. I mow several hours - seat is fine. My place is sloped so I use the fender grips. Not sure an armrest would clear the pto clutch lever beside the seat. The LM610 has self-leveling links and I believe the 610 means around half the LA1150 rating. Price is about average. They were nearly $40k new. For this model 1100 hours is pretty fresh - lot of life left before it will start to need things. Mine have 1200+ and continue trouble-free. Backhoe hydraulics are easy to add between the power-beyond hose and the hydraulic block. It would be nice to find an original L5412 hoe (high-end piece made by Bradco) which was the dealer-added option. Take care, Dick B

Attachments

• ML610 loader.bmp
    512.8 KB · Views: 248
   / L5450 with a LM610
Thanks for the reply. Thats pretty disappointing about the loader being 1/2 what the La1150 is. The dealer called it a HD loader so I was hoping it was more than the LA1150. I'm a mechanic by trade and am always moving dead vehicles around the yard and in out of the shop. Having a tractor that could pick up the backend of a vehicle and move it around is very appealing.
At this point I don't have use for a BH so its not a big deal, finding the mounting plates would be harder than plumbing the hydraulics I would think. Hmm, going to have to think about his some more.

Have you seen ay specs for the 610loader?

http://www.airdrietractorland.ca/images/airdrietractorland/VP3046453_1_large.jpg

/ L5450 with a LM610
Is the bucket quick attach skid steer compatible?

/ L5450 with a LM610 #6  
Kubota's numbering system for loaders in usually the load in kilograms. But I've never seen a 610 up close - only that picture which is from the Laurin website (Canadian). Also I don't know what QA style it is. The L5450 was current a little before QA became common. My LA1150 with forks will pick up a small car - but needs to go slow. Might want a bigger machine if you handle vehicles often.

/ L5450 with a LM610
Ok so 610*2.2= 1342#. Hmm this thing is fast losing ground to the Montana which I found out is actually bigger than I thought, its a 59hp L5940c with a 2000# lift on the loader. Both are the same price at $18K. The Montana is 10yrs newer and has a cab with heat and AC. Downside is its a Montana.

I don't move vehicles a lot, nor do I need to lift them completely up. Just lifting one end and shoving it around or into the shop would be handy. Being small enough to still be easily transported is more important. Want to try to keep the size down.

What style QA is your LA1150 loader?

/ L5450 with a LM610 #8  
It's pin type - not QA. I was looking at Kubota Canada's loader listings - they have a lot - some where the rating is NOT the model number in kg. The 610 may have some other rating formula - the L5450 is strong enough for a 2500 lb loader - it wouldn't seem to make sense to put one on rated at 1342lb.

Last edited:
   / L5450 with a LM610
I was thinking that too, unless the 610 was meant for a smaller tractor and someone put it on 5450 after purchase because they got a good deal on it. That would explain why the loader paint was faded so much. Any idea what size(diameter) the lift cylinders are on your loader? If the 610 has a similar size cylinder then it must have a similar capacity.

So how much work is it to unmount your loader bucket and hook up the forks?

/ L5450 with a LM610 #10  
The LA1150 cylinders are 3" od - but the lift force depends on the link geometry. This LA1150 picture shows the pin distances are pretty different from the 610 - maybe the rating really is that much less. Self-leveling linkage is important for handling crop bins with forks - and could be an acceptable trade-off for some owners.

My forks lock into anchors in the bucket (no tools) quick to install and remove.

Last edited: