Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    currently own F3080 F2680 B2620 FEL/BH RTV1140

Default Re: Barlows - always a good bet?

I shopped around before I bought my first tractor(BX2200 MMM FEL) ten years ago. No Orange dealer came within $1500 of Barlows, the Green Dealer was $3000 more than Barlows competing model and the Blue Dealer was $2500 more than Barlows on the competing model.
    Since then I have bought/traded for 14 more Kubotas from Barlows. Steve is very laid back and has talked me out of several purchases after asking me what I'm expecting the purchased item to do. He just says "I don't think that's what you really need (real slow and real low) to do what your wanting done".
    Some times after a big ticket purchase some people can't sleep for wondering if they had got the best price from the seller. With Barlows people don't have to wonder that, in my opinion. The price Steve gives is the price he wants. He starts at his best price and it's usually firm and that's one of the reasons Barlows sells so many all over the US and has so many repeat satisfied customers.
    If you buy from out of Ky then the sales tax isn't charged in Ky. I myself would not be calling up my stae Revenue Dept and telling them I want to pay them sales tax. As someone mentioned, also Ky does not charge sales tax on equipment bought for farming. I don't farm so I always pay the Ky sales tax but when it's a trade I only pay tax on the difference.
    Pic of Steve and Gary taken a couple of years ago if you need an image in your mind of who your talking to.
    -img_0328-jpg
    2012 B2620 FEL BH, 2008 F2680 2WD 72" side Discharge Deck, 2012 F3080 4WD 72" rear discharge deck, 2010/2009 RTV1140CPX , RatchetRake, Forks, ...DEARBORN 2 BOTTOM PLOW 12" ?? FOR SALE $425).... Drawbar and Horse Drawn disk 13 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 13 Ford Flex. 2009 Subaru Impreza Sport

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3940; 1942 Farmall H (for sale)

I took delivery of my L3940 a few weeks ago. I live in MN but purchased from Barlows. I went to the two local dealers (30 and 45 minutes away, respectively), told them what I wanted, and got numbers. Both were well over $1,500 more even taken into account the shipping. The difference was quite startling. Barlows was well over 10% off the "Build My kubota" price while the local guys were giving barely over 5% off. That difference was greater on the attachments. Honestly, I didn't give them a chance to match and I didn't ask for more off from Barlows. It was a fair price (and consistent with what I'd seen on here). My wife thought I was nuts buying from 700 miles away, but it was really quite painless (other than to the checkbook). They were hauling another tractor to MI at the same time which helped reduce the freight.

Steve was easy to work with. He never got annoyed with all my questions and emails. Business how business should be conducted. Would definitely buy from them again (but hopefully won't need too thanks to all the helpful advice on here ).

Tractor
    none

Maibox
    Bronze Member
    Join DateMay 2012Posts69LocationWinona, MNTractorKubota L3940; 1942 Farmall H (for sale)
    Re: Barlows - always a good bet?
    I took delivery of my L3940 a few weeks ago. I live in MN but purchased from Barlows. I went to the two local dealers (30 and 45 minutes away, respectively), told them what I wanted, and got numbers. Both were well over $1,500 more even taken into account the shipping. The difference was quite startling. Barlows was well over 10% off the "Build My kubota" price while the local guys were giving barely over 5% off. That difference was greater on the attachments. Honestly, I didn't give them a chance to match and I didn't ask for more off from Barlows. It was a fair price (and consistent with what I'd seen on here). My wife thought I was nuts buying from 700 miles away, but it was really quite painless (other than to the checkbook). They were hauling another tractor to MI at the same time which helped reduce the freight.

Steve was easy to work with. He never got annoyed with all my questions and emails. Business how business should be conducted. Would definitely buy from them again (but hopefully won't need too thanks to all the helpful advice on here ).

I see you are from MN....I will be purchasing a tractor sometime this year( I am also from MN)....Will probably go with a Kubota(not sure which size yet). I am guessing the dealers you are referring to in your thread is Lano's. I have not looked at them yet, but I am curious if you checked out any other brand, and if you were dissatisfied with Lano's with anything else but price....And if you are comfortable with telling what you paid for the L3940 and the added attachments, I would very much appreciate it.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3940; 1942 Farmall H (for sale)

Not Lano's. I'm in the SE corner of the state. One dealer has 3 locations close, and another is in WI. Details on my purchase are in this thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...c-tell-me.html

Tractor
    none

Yes, thanks....I was just reading that thread after I posted here....I see all you have done, alot of good information there

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1244 View Post
    why??
    Unless you have a tax exempt number or your in one of the few states that do not charge sales tax by not paying it you're breaking the law. I've heard of a few state laws that allow out of state purchases not being taxed if you do odd ball things like wait a certain amount of time but you would need to research it. I doubt you would get caught if you didn't pay taxes but that's a decision you have to make.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Tractor
    Kubota L3200

I have an L3200 being delivered this week from Barlows in Kentucky to western Montana. I was surprised that Barlows was so much better priced than the local dealer even considering the long delivery. The local dealer was even more surprised (upset even) and wouldn't even try to compete with it. Dealing with Brady and Steve have been good, although it has taken a while to get the delivery going (waiting on attachments, not Barlow's fault).

Tractor
    kubota

wish i would have known that we could save each other some cash im alittle west of columbus and was thinking of doing the same thing,Billings kubota doesnt like to deal at all may be because of sales tax

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Grand L 3540 HST-3, R4's

I too have good things to say about Barlow's, They were a joy to talk to and buy from. I traded a B3200TLB for a Grand L3540, local dealer did not want trade and offered a real low ball trade in price. Brady sold my B3200TLD to a gentleman from Louisiana right after he delivered my L. Delivery and transactions were smooth, Brady & Steve are a joy to talk to and really know there stuff, they answer your questions without the BS. I also have purchased three point attachments from them, pleasure doing business with the Barlow's, they make money and you save money, it's a win win.
    DevilDog
    He is your Friend, Your Partner, Your Defender, Your Dog. You Are His Life, His Love, His Leader. He Will Be Yours, Faithful And True, To The Last Beat Of His Heart. ...Unknown

Tractor
    Kubota L4240HST

Quote Originally Posted by crbr View Post
    Good deal and better if they include delivery. Beats the options in Maryville and Knoxville. I can't deal with brothers Tyler. I go to Athens for my service materials. The machine itself is still brand new, per se.

From reading here, Barlows has mastered the art of online and cross-country sales with customer satisfaction. Can't beat that with a stick....

$0.02

I would recommend checking out Dooley Tractor in Athens. They beat Barlows pricing on a purchase I recently made. Great customer service, quality service department and a large selection in stock.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast