Used B2630 or New B2320/B2620?

/ Used B2630 or New B2320/B2620? #1  

kchampagne

Tractor
Kubota B2630
Hello all!

First of all, I would like to send a shout out to everyone for such a great forum that is full of information and is way beyond my expectations. I am new to the tractor world, so I have been perusing this site for weeks now in my search for a tractor. This is my first post. Just a quick summary of my situation and what I am looking for. I recently purchased a small horse property near Denver, CO, and as you would expect, I am in dire need of a tractor for various projects. The property is 5 acres, flat, and no trees. Most of it is fenced pastures. The primary uses for the tractor will be moving hay, maintaing horse manure composting, dragging the horse arena, trenching water and electric lines to the barn and pastures, landscaping and planting trees, snow plowing, rough mowing, driveway maintenance, and various other normal farm chores.

I have been looking at the new BX25D, B2320, and B2620's I really like the multi-purpose package of the BX25D, but I am concerned that the BH will not be able to adequatley dig in my soil and will ultimately just sit in the garage. The soil is extremely hard and the more you scratch at it, the harder it gets. Getting a shovel into it is almost impossible. Digging bar is mandatory. Unless someone can convince me that the BX25D will definitely get the job done (maybe any BX25 owners in CO?), I am going to focus on the Kubota B's with either the OEM BH or aftermarket (e.g. Woods). I am also considering a one owner, used B2630 with FEL, 300 hrs, for $13,500 in mint condition. I would need to add an OEM or aftermarket BH. A new B2320 with FEL/BH is $19,200 and new B2620 with FEL/BH is $21,000. I am leaning toward a new B2620 due to warranty and 0% financing, but the used B2630 is built like a tank and awfully nice as it is the deluxe B series (especially the PTO with position control). I know they don't make them anymore.

Any thoughts would me much appreciated!!!!

/ Used B2630 or New B2320/B2620? #2  
I would buy the B2630 hands down over any new Bxx20. I looked at and seriously considered a B2920, but simply cannot live without a position control hitch if at all possible, I have the quarter inching on my BX, OK, my wife's BX2660 and hate it. The Bxx30 is also heavier with nicer features and in my opinion a more capable tractor. Not that the Bxx20 are not good tractors, I just think the Bxx30 are better.

In addition to the position control, the Bxx30 has Independent PTO instead of the Live PTO on the Bxx20, lifts significantly more on the 3PH, has four inches longer wheelbase, is about two hundred pounds heavier, has a little larger tires, and a little more hydraulic flow.

I am sure others will have differing opinions, but I would definitely go drive them for a comparison. I didn't buy one as I needed a bigger tractor and went with a BX and Grand L; sometimes the ideal tractor is two tractors, but we have a lot of land.

Good luck.

/ Used B2630 or New B2320/B2620?
TripleR, thanks so much for your quick response! I agree with you 100% on all points. I just can't seem to get over the hump with the pros of warranty and 0% financing. I haven't looked at aftermarket BH options and pricing for the B2630. Any idea what one would run? Definitely will get one with a sub frame mount.

/ Used B2630 or New B2320/B2620? #4  
To be honest, I don't worry about warranties on Kubotas, never had to use one. I bought a used L5030 HSTC with 735 hours on it, it had all the maintenance records which showed no repairs needed, I put another 700+ hours on it and got about the same out of it when I traded it in as I had paid for it. I can certainly understand the financing aspect. I would check Woods out as I know they make a back hoe for it and I am guessing in the the $6000 to $800 range and I do mean guessing as I just rent a mini excavator, back hoe or skid steer when needed as I don't have much need for one. We bought one years ago and ran out of projects, so it just sits there. A lot of people use them, so maybe someone with more knowledge (won't take much) than I will come along to help you.

I try to buy for the long term and as a result often spend a bit more than I would like, but I have never regretted it in the long run, well after I get over being sick from the initial outlay.:laughing:

/ Used B2630 or New B2320/B2620? #5  
Is the 2630 from a dealer or individual? Maybe you could make an offer on it. One difference between the BH on the 2630 (currently the BH77) is that you get full 180 swing and bucket rotation and more power than either the BX25 or 2x20 series BH65. I would vote for the 2630 for what you outlined, but if you really want new or take advantage of financing consider getting a quote for a B3200/3300 TLB (the 3300 if you don't need mid pto) or check if there are any 3030's left. From what you originally outlined my second choice would be the 2620TLB.
It is something you will use for a long time and trading up after the fact can get expensive! The Woods BH for the 2630 I believe is the 70x series...I don't know if it will also run the 80x. I would also get a quote on the OEM Kubota BH77. It's all just opinion...with your money! Enjoy the process.

/ Used B2630 or New B2320/B2620? #6  
I would find out if the BH will dig in your ground before I bought one.

Excellent points everyone!! Thank you so much!

/ Used B2630 or New B2320/B2620? #8  
I agree 100% with Triple R. I had a B2630 for a few years, moved and got divorced so I had to sell it. I couldn't live without a tractor after having one and couldn't find a Bxx30 series anywhere so I bought a B2320 thinking it would suffice. Needless to say, I am in the process of trading the B2320 at a loss to get a B2630 again. I am in Maine and having my dealer ship one of the very last brand new ones up from Florida. Once you've had position control you just can't go to quarter inching valve. Besides Triple R's other points it's all the little things that you miss. Cruise control (I guess the B2620 has that), tilt steering wheel, loader handle up higher, comfy seat with arm rests, the 3-pt. hitch has extensions which makes it SO much easier to put on attachments. I hear you about 0% and warranty but I put my first 2630 through a lot and never had an issue.

/ Used B2630 or New B2320/B2620? #9  
I live in Colorado and have a B2620. I like the machine alot and never had a problem with it, Its also very easy for my wife to use which was a big deal for her. I think ultimately you have to decide what you are going to do with it. I use mine for lots of landscaping and felt that the lighter weight of it was a big plus for not tearing the yard up but it also has enough horse power to dig in the heavy clay. I dont use alot of attachments only box scraper and posthole digger so the position control has not been an issue. I do see the advantage to the position control and the extendable 3 point hitches would make things easier for sure. I have put a quick attach on mine which helps with most attachments. I have just 5 acres and its plenty of tractor for me. If I had a bigger property and more diverse things to do like you I might look at the other tractor.

B

Thanks all for the excellent advice! I decided on the used 2630. I pick it up this week! Can't wait!