Tractor Sizing Bx2350 performance

/ Bx2350 performance #1  

geko

Bronze Member
I was in my local dealer with an issue about my snow ex spreader this morning (turned out just to be a stone stuck in the auger!), and was enquiring about a larger tractor than I currently have. (JD X540). I mentioned I was interested in a machine with rear PTO for use with flail mower & power harrow etc. as my JD only has a cutting deck PTO.

He showed me a kubota bx2350 which looked great - it didn't seem much bigger physically than my x540, without the loader of course.
The platform seemed big, easy access etc.

I would mainly be using the tractor for grass cutting (with a belly mower I think), whilst using a flail mower for rough cutting where needed.
The additional rear PTO would be used for the flail and rotovator/harrow.
I'm sure there's other tasks I'd use it for!!

I wouldn't go for the loader yet as I've not really much need for one.

What are people's experiences of the 2350, both good & bad?

/ Bx2350 performance #2  
I'm not sure exactly how long I've had mine, maybe 5 years. I've got 400 hours on mine. What you are looking at must be used, they haven't made that model for a few years.

First off the bad. The sudden stop in reverse. Some people find that when backing up, it stops to quickly in reverse. For me, I probably wouldn't know it was a problem unless I read about it on this board. There is a forward and reverse pedal. I often don't use the reverse pedal and just use my toe to lift up on the forward pedal to back up. This solves the problem for me. The newer models have a metal hood and rear fenders. They are probably more durable. I've cracked my hood from running into a tree, but the fenders are fine. Thats the only bad I can think of.

The good. They make a great mower. If you have any hills, you will really like the 4wd. They are very easy on fuel. I actually figured I save about $100 a year vs my old gas mower. The bad part of that is you will use more fuel doing all the things you can do with the machine that a plain riding mower can't . They are also easy to work on and maintain.

Another word of advice. GET THE END LOADER! I know you don't think you need it, but trust me, you do. It will seem expensive and something you can live with out. I didn't get an end loader with mine, then a project came up. Half the hours on my tractor are using the end loader. I use it for stuff all the time.

/ Bx2350 performance
Thanks dodgeman.

The model was new - I'm in the UK - maybe it's a different model/name?

Great info there, I hear what you're saying about the loader! I'm a landscape contractor so can see the benefits, but can't afford tractor, flail and loader at once!
Is it something you have to spec straight away or something you can fit later?

Thanks.

/ Bx2350 performance #4  
You just want to make sure it has the joy stick and loader valve already installed. It doesn't add much to the cost of the machine, but to add it later is a nightmare. If the tractor already has the joystick on it, its easy to add later. I put my own end loader together and installed it myself.

/ Bx2350 performance #5  
Interesting... I just had a look at the UK Kubota website.
The only SCUT model they list is the BX2350, spec sheet is dated 2006.

/ Bx2350 performance #6  
First off the bad. The sudden stop in reverse. Some people find that when backing up, it stops to quickly in reverse.
Had one and I was one of those that found it really bad with the abrupt stop in reverse. So bad I traded it after just a few months and got some financial incentive from Kubota for doing so. Had BXs before the BX2350 and several different ones after and it was wrong.
I to recommend a FEL if you do anything more than mow. When I bought my first one 10 years ago I thought it was a high priced wheelbarrow but soon found out it was/is so, so much more.

/ Bx2350 performance
Interesting... I just had a look at the UK Kubota website.
The only SCUT model they list is the BX2350, spec sheet is dated 2006.

Do you guys have a load more different models?
I'm sure this was brand new - curved loader, large foot well/platform etc.

I'm seriously considering this - it felt a lot more tractor than the JD x749 I demo'd last year.

I'll have to see how the finances look!

/ Bx2350 performance #8  
geko... on this side of the pond, the BX2350, part of what is referred to as the 50 series, was replaced by the 60 series in 2010 or 2011, which included the BX2360 and higher powered BX2660. And just in the last few months, out came the 70 series, with a few more updates like better seat, brake pedal on the left, etc. but I don't think much difference in the guts of the machine.
As others have said, over here the 50 series suffers from the 'abrupt' stopping in reverse issue. I own a BX24, a 50 series tractor packaged with loader and backhoe, and yes, if you lift your foot off the reverse pedal abruptly, it stops FAST. I've gotten used to it though. I don't know how you could verify if the UK version of the BX2350 has this issue, other than a test drive.
have a look at the BX product line-up on kubota.com or kubota.ca to arm yourself with things to ask your dealer about.

I should also mention that these models are all very similar in appearance...

Pete

Last edited:
   / Bx2350 performance #9  
I don't think you can go wrong using a BX for lawn work, I am a contractor and use mine for digging, tilling, dragging, seeding, mowing, removing concrete etc.. My BX gets worked hard at times, when it had ten hrs on it I had thirty tons of gravel dropped at the end of my drive, and it has not missed a beat yet.

One other thing GET THE LOADDER!:2cents:

/ Bx2350 performance #10  
I've had a BX2350 for nearly five years. Earlier models had an uncomfortable seat, and most of those were replaced under warranty by Kubota. By the time I bought mine in June 2008, it had the newer version. The harshness coming out of reverse varied somewhat across the model. Byu that I mean that some people (like John Thomas) couldn't abide it, but I had Kubota modify the linkage and it softened the problem. This issue was solved with redesign in the 60-series. I make minor mental adjustments now when working and using reverse, and it isn't a problem that would lead me to trade away from what I have. I am more than happy with this unit. I have a 54" mower, loader (you really want this, you do), front snow thrower (the D model), 3ph rototiller, and a landscape rake. Because of routinely heavy snow where we live (Tug Hill area of NY State, east of Lake Ontario), I now have a Curtis hard cab, and I love it. I had a Loftness 48" 3ph snow thrower (bought it used, a 1993 model) and it handled snow well enough, but my back and neck aren't as suited to twisting around as they used to be when I was younger.

Using this unit is a joy. Oh, BTW, get a loader.