Do I need a BX 1800?

/ Do I need a BX 1800? #11  
I am not sure that the B7500 would give much more power, although the B is more suited for 3pt hitch work with a minimum of fuss attaching implements. Cost wise, a 7500 plain and a BX2200 with a MMM are about the same.
Will

/ Do I need a BX 1800? #12  
Hey scootch,

This thread reminds me of my first post a couple of months ago. I was wondering if I needed a four wheel drive tractor or if a garden tractor would do. Now I'm throughly satisfied with my BX2200 (and I took rogue's advise about the FEL and don't regret it one bit!). Have fun - and try to get some sleep and don't get fired daydreaming or researching tractors at work!

MCA

/ Do I need a BX 1800? #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Bob
Thanks. I am in south central PA, between Harrisburg and Philly. Not a bunch of snow during a "normal" winter, but after last year I want to be prepared. Will I need chains/weights to plow? My primary use will be grass cutting and a good amount of it, although only about half has to look nice. )</font>

Well, the BX will cut grass like nobody's business and I find it very manuverable. It's a great fit for you there. As far as snow goes, there's a few ways to get rid of the stuff. The cheapest is a rear blade (around $300) and they seem fairly effective for normal amounts (1/2 foot or so) but probably troublesome for 2 footers! You might need go out several times during the storm to keep it clear. Then you have rear snow blowers, front snow blowers, front plows, and the FEL. I think that the rear 3 point hitch blower is next cheapest at around $1200, then the manual angle front plow at $1700, the power angle front plow and the FEL are pretty even at around $2150 and the front blower is $2250. These prices are only intended as ball park, btw! As far as chains and weights are concerned, I can't say as I only had mine for a half a winter but the dealer told me I wouldn't need them and I haven't so far. Obviously, for my money I would get the FEL before I would by a front plow or snow blower. You can use the loader all year round and it will more than handle 2 feet of snow. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Do I need a BX 1800?
Thanks MCA. I took a 2200 out for a spin this evening and I am impressed. I would love to get a FEL but $2500.00 is a lot for something that will get used only sparingly. I will definitely get one in the future but now have to invest in a "Trac-Vac" or some other collection system. Fall is right around the corner.

/ Do I need a BX 1800? #15  
<font color="blue"> I would love to get a FEL but $2500.00 is a lot for something that will get used only sparingly. </font>

Scootch,

$2,500 is certainly a lot of money...but when reading your words about the use part, well, all I could think was:

If he only knew...

For many the loader is one of the most useful tractor attachments! Your milage may vary naturally... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Do I need a BX 1800? #16  
I couldn't agree ,more about "if he only knew".
Here is how to do the leaves.
Mow em in to Huge piles with the unbelieveable torque of the mower and set the bucket at a slight up angle and to float.
I've done it for two years and it works great.
Mow and pile dry, scoop slightly wet.
trac vac....phoowey!
I'm serios, this works. And as for the loader, last year I used it more than the deck!

/ Do I need a BX 1800?
I am not sure I follow about the mowing into huge piles. How does that happen...doesn't the tractor just blow them all around after cutting them up a bit?? I can't visualize them landing in a nice pile with that much power. Trust me, I am looking for ANY excuse for the FEL but am not sure the leaf excuse will do it. What do you do with them after you scoop em up? I could use the shredded leaves as compost. But the option is interesting and I wouldn't have thought of that. Guess that's why I am posting in TBN!!

/ Do I need a BX 1800? #18  
Scootch,

The area around my house is surrounded by trees. That being said I have not purchased a vacuum yet. I plan to this fall. I've been dealing with leaves in a number of ways the past 5 seasons.

I would rake leaves another 3 years before moving a pile of dirt/stones/etc by hand again. The FEL is a must in my opinion. You need a FEL--you just don't know you need a FEL.

Bob

/ Do I need a BX 1800? #19  
I cannot tell you if you need a BX1800 or not, but what I can tell you is that I have one and love it!!! I ended up purchasing a BX1800 w/grass catcher, loader, 60"mmm, and ballast box in March. I have 50 hours on it now and cannot say enough good things about it. I too didn't start out looking for a FEL. I actually started pricing looking for a hydraulic angling front blade. EVERY Kubota dealer I talked to either questioned (being nice) or flat out told me I would be much better off with a FEL for the small cost difference.

I intended to use the blade for snow removal and light grading work when needed as that was what I had been used to all my life (fathers JD112, 318, 425, my cub 147, 1811 of course most notl hydraulic blades).

Anyhow, I am here to tell you that the FEL has been very welcomed and used probably equal hours to my mower for everything from backfilling drainage ditch, moving gravel for drive, to moving a 1/2 keg at my pig roast the weekend before last (the sun started to hit it and we needed to move it with barrel/ice and CO2 system, so it was easier than lifting ourselves).

I haven't used to move snow yet (well I did get one pass a few days after I recieved it in April but that doesn't really count), but I expect for my short drive it will do the job fine.

Also relative, I did clean up some Oak Leaves this Spring that were left over from last fall using the grass catcher. I can say the unit did a wonderful job, but it does fill up rather fast. Still beats my old way of using leaf blower to blow into pile onto a tarp and then draggin across back lawn to garden.

You can see pictures of results in one of my first posts about half way down regarding photos for "what I was up against".

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=owning&Number=255265&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

This thing is great. I opted not to go with the 2200 because the $1,000 I saved. With my two 3/4 acre properties and limited need for the extra horsepower both the dealer and I determined that it wasn't that necessary(of course the CFO's opinion on the matter and the fact we were already $3,000 over our $10,000 budget played heavily into it as well).

I would very much recommend getting everything you want NOW with the initial purchase and low financing rates. It is a lot more difficult in a year or two to come up with $1000-3000 depending on "what attachement" on top of the payment, than it is to add a few dollars to the payment now. I know cuz my CFO won't let me even spring for a $289 tooth bar!!!! so I am looking into building my own.

Well I think my wind is finally dying down and the CFO just came home and it giving me a hard time about being on "tractor ****" as she refers to it....

Good luck on your decision and press hard for the extra toys....I mean tools. By the way it doesn't hurt to talk about the things you can do for her (ie. mulch moving, garden plot, whatever it is that peaks her interest, just don't tell her she can do it or you lose the seat time).

/ Do I need a BX 1800?
Thanks for all the counselling. I have been ALMOST convinced and here are the deals on the table, although not all the dealers have responded. BX2200. 60" MMM and FEL all for the low price of $12,500. BX2200 with only the 60" MMM is $10,200. The dealer also has a 3 year old 8hp 44 bushel Trac-Vac he will let go at $1000.00. I may be able to talk him into some freebie...work lights, back blade, whatever. What do you all think about the prices? The mulch and mushroom soil piles and moving all the firewood would be a lot easier with the FEL. Ane the $1500 I am saving on the used vac I can put into the FEL!! What a selling point to the CFO! So the package is the 2200, 60" MMM and FEL, plus the Trac Vac for
$13, 500. I told my neighbor and he said "that's a nice rig"!!
Opinions, please before I sign.