Do I need a BX 1800?

/ Do I need a BX 1800? #1  

scootch

Hello all
This site was given to me by a friend so I thought I'd try it out.
I need to purchase a new garden tractor but don't have much experience outside of lawn tractors. I have 5 acres of which 1.5 acres are just open field which used to be a horse pasture, 0.5 acre garden, 2 acres of nice grass around the house and driveway and 1 acre under trees. I have a 300 yard driveway and no snow removal equipment other than my aching back. I have need for finish grass cutting, leaf removal, snow removal, tilling, and mowing a field but don't want to spend a fortune. Is the BX1800 for me and what should I expect to pay for the machine and 60" deck. I have a quote for $9500.00 from the dealer up the road. Thx!!

/ Do I need a BX 1800? #2  
I'm in a rush this AM so I'll just suggest you search BX1800 vs BX2200. With 5 acres, I think the 2200 is the way to go. I've stated the reasons many times on this site (as many others have as well).
Good luck with the search.

/ Do I need a BX 1800? #3  
Scootch; I sure think you need a BX! You might want to consider a 2200, that would be your call, either the 1800 or 2200 would work for you. Your price seems good; does that include the 54" or the 60" MMM?
Will

/ Do I need a BX 1800? #4  
Your price is about right I think. I actually paid $10,375 for a BX2200 W/60" MMM, when I expected to pay $10,000 but they are in short supply around here.

Like rogue says, go for the BX2200 if you can afford to pay an additional $500 or so. You get the same size tractor, but 4 more hp. Some reserve for the future.

Now to answer your question: Do you need a BX? No, you need at least a B7500! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The BX is a fine little tractor. You will love it. It will amaze you. You will really like the way it cuts grass and the fact that you do a lot of other work with it, if you get the implements you need.

You did not mention a loader...again it's money...but a loader can do more for you than you can imagine until you own one.

All it takes is money. But if you spend it right the first time it will work for you for twenty years...maybe more.

Have fun with your decision...

/ Do I need a BX 1800? #5  
scootch,

A BX1800 will do what you want, but I would recommend the BX2200 and perhaps any unit in the entire B series for what you wish to do.

I definitely think you should get a loader. If you desire more ground clearance than the BX's offer, definitely start looking at the B7500. Those larger rear tires are much more effective at getting the power to the ground as well as offering better clearance.

I'm surprised Henro didn't try to talk you into getting an L3830...but stick around on this board long enough and you'll soon be asking us questions about the B7800/B2710/B2910's. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

With 0 percent interest for 36 months and low rates for longer terms, if you can swing it, it's usually best to get as much as possible written into the original purchase.

Good Luck,

~Rick (I have a B2910 on 2/3 acre.)

/ Do I need a BX 1800?
I will research the price for the 2200. I didn't realize it would be only $500.00 more. I am not sure I can swing anything larger since the BX is stretching the budget as is. I want to have something left for the "toys" and attachments /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I am thinking about the loader along with the blade since a friend has the tiller and post hole digger..nothing wrong with swapping implements (he has a 2200). I was hoping the price quoted for the 1800 and 60" deck was a little high ($9500.00) but it doesn't seem so according to you professionals. But what's another $500 for 4 more horse!
Thanks a ton and keep the opinions coming. I have until Aug 3oth!

/ Do I need a BX 1800? #7  
Scootch,

Add to your list a block heater, and larger alternator. The FEL is a must, if you get it add a hook to the bucket. If you ever plan to add a front mounted snowblow also get a 4 way valve.

The loader will add about $2300-2600, another $64 a month /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif but will will find many uses for it from snow to mulch to dirt.

Have fun looking...

/ Do I need a BX 1800? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hello all
This site was given to me by a friend so I thought I'd try it out.
I need to purchase a new garden tractor but don't have much experience outside of lawn tractors. )</font>

Either the BX1800 or the BX2200 will be a big step up from any garden tractor you have owned. As has been said, the 2200 is not much more money for 4 more hp.

You don't say where you are located so we don't know what type of snow removal you will be facing. Also, we can't really tell if you will want a block heater or not. The FEL (front end loader) is a real nice addition to this unit but will definately put you in the $12,000 range with your 60" deck. Sounds like that might be a bit more than you were looking to spend.

Let us know a bit more about your location and what you hope to accomplish with your tractor and you will get a whole slew of suggestions to pour through! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Do I need a BX 1800?
Bob
Thanks. I am in south central PA, between Harrisburg and Philly. Not a bunch of snow during a "normal" winter, but after last year I want to be prepared. Will I need chains/weights to plow? My primary use will be grass cutting and a good amount of it, although only about half has to look nice. Tilling and fall cleanup is also a must but I haven't come across any type of large leaf collection system yet. Yes, the FEL is probably not a possibility now but will be on the Christmas and Father's Day gift list! I will place Kubota adds in the Women's Day magazine /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif In short, I need a fair amount of power, flexibility and manueverability.

/ Do I need a BX 1800? #10  
I would like to suggest looking at the B7500. I think that if you plan on doing anything with 3 point hitch attachments you would appreciate the extra power. The price difference between the Bx2200 and the B7500 isn't a big difference. If you can afford it I would go for it,

Dave