Comparison What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L?

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #31  
Auto Throttle Advance: I don't use it.

That is one of my favorite features! Use it ALL the time except for PTO work. Philip.

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #32  
The point of my post was that because many of the std L models are purchased by total newbies to the tractor world, that those people do not complain about the hitch because they do not realize that there is anything wrong. :( So all of those potential problems are never heard about, because the owners don't realize that the operation of the hitch could be much better. People as yourself who don't really use the 3pt hitch, don't care that there is a problem, because it does not affect anything that you are doing. So what difference does it make, none. You bought an economy tractor and you were aware of the problem, but that problem does not affect your use, so it simply does not matter,TO YOU.

But the problem is still there. As more people become aware of it, especially none newbies that use the 3pt hitch, the std L series models will drop in sales and Kubota will need to address the problem.

Just my :2cents:, doesn't mean a thing. ;)

I totally agree with everything you are saying and I am so glad people like yourself let potential buyers know of these issues. I would hate to buy one not knowing, just assuming you were getting a Kubota and everything would be perfect. I have seen that manufacturers do not like to admit there are problems, and I suppose that would open themselves up to lawsuits if they did admit a problem existed. This seems to be partially due to the world we live in today.

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #33  
How about video evidence then.... check out MX5100 - YouTube

This is video of a brand new 2012 MX5100 that I recently purchased. QUOTE]

I watched the video.
I found that if I turned off the sound and closed my eyes the jerky hitch went away. It's just a rumor started by the Green Tractor guys.

Justin Denial

Yep, this seems what you can do with these L's. I was able to do this at the dealers when I played with the 3 pts with a load on the back and just kept trying to raise the hitch in small increments. But to be fair, you can also raise the hitch up quickly with no jerking and then down again very smooth. I think as others have stated, that are smarter than me, it is due to the feedback circuit. Almost acts like a 1/4 inching valve. Not ideal, I agree, but livable. It's sort of funny, I remember stepping up from a Farmall H to an old Ford and was just thrilled to have a 3 pt hitch. Had an old industrial JD 301A after that and it was an awesome machine, but I am not going to complain about the hitch on the L's. Maybe when and if I do a bunch of grading with it, my opinion may change. The last time I had alot of grading to do I could not find a heavy duty box blade I liked, for the price, and bought a nice JD450C dozer instead. Used it for three years and then sold it for what I paid for it. I think I am getting this off topic.

Last edited:
   / What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #34  
I grew up farming with junk and less than optimum tractors, you would be surprised at what you can do with a poorly performing 3PH, I truly love the ones on my new Kubotas, but when I am done, it really looks no different than when I used some of our 50+ year old tractors. As someone else mentioned, sometimes you really don't know how something is supposed to work if you have never used one.

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #35  
That is one of my favorite features! Use it ALL the time except for PTO work. Philip.

I'll try it again. Maybe I'll like it this time.

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #36  
Well Jeff let me just put some newbie intel in for you. I did just buy my first tractor and am doing similar as you and have plenty of trees to clear. I bought the L3540 based off what most were saying here both good and bad. I'm new to tractors and the ones I have played with are 30yrs old. Oh my god! This tractor although early on in use is awesome. I usually wait till I can buy quality even if it means, in my case, another year. If you can find a 3540, or similar in the grands, get it and don't look back!

image-459230545.jpg

image-224744859.jpg

image-1739652234.jpg

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #37  
Hi, Jeff, and welcome to the forum.

I used to have an L4300 (a couple versions earlier of the L4600) and traded it to an L3540. Not apples to apples, exactly, but close. Sit on, drive, and walk around both, and you will immediately see the difference. As others have stated, the Grand L features greater weight, beefier front axle, better loaders, better controls, advanced ergonomics, telescoping side arms, tilt steering wheel, better seat, HST+, etc., that the Standard L line lacks. With my L4300 (standard L), after an hour or two in the seat, I was beat, sore, and ready to do something else. I wanted a tractor that I would WANT to keep using! The Grand L is often touted as the "bells and whistles" version, but as James K0UA and others have pointed out in the past, those are not bells and whistles, they are features that you will thank yourself for getting every time you use them. Time and time again I smile as I use my Grand L, long past the time when the smiles on my standard L would have turned to frowns. In your case the only way I would consider the L4600 is if I were going to be using the PTO a lot and really needed those extra ponies. It sounds like you will mostly be using the backhoe, so not an issue. I run the same implements (like a 6' brush hog) on my 3540 that I did on my 4300. There is not much difference in implement capability between these two tractors. I join the others in heartily recommending the Grand L.

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #38  

Me too! But not while using the loader; I find it slows the timing down too much.
But for using a rear rake or a box blade, pushing snow or maneuvering in the woods, having the throttle drop way down not only quiets down the tractor, probably saves a little fuel, and allows slow speed maneuvering without the engine roaring.
Easy to turn on and off.

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #39  
Me too! But not while using the loader; I find it slows the timing down too much.

I under stand what you mean. But, try setting your idle at 1500 rpm (or wherever you like your pump gpm output), then engageing your Auto-throttle. This way it still functions, but you have set a lower limit so you have the minimum timing you need. Philip.

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #40  
"As someone else mentioned, sometimes you really don't know how something is supposed to work if you have never used one."

Yes, TripleR. I think most understand that they want the 3 pt hitch to operate very smoothly. My old Ford ('63 4000) and old JD ('74 301A) had very smooth operating 3 pt hitches with draft and position control, and the JD had a combo position of the two as well. The smooth hitch is nice and I tried Grand L's and B's with 1/4 inching before I purchased my L. I think I am just trying to say that if the tractor someone is looking at is the right size and price for what they need, the slightly jerky 3 pt is not a deal breaker, unless they are doing grading work and do not think they can live with it. I think you would have to be someone that their main priority is grading to have it matter that much. For me the L3800 was just about the perfect size for my current needs. The B3300SU would have been nice, but the loader lift capacity and heighth just wasn't enough. Just my :2cents:

Last edited: