Comparison What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L?

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #41  
"As someone else mentioned, sometimes you really don't know how something is supposed to work if you have never used one."

Yes, TripleR. I think most understand that they want the 3 pt hitch to operate very smoothly. My old Ford ('63 4000) and old JD ('74 301A) had very smooth operating 3 pt hitches with draft and position control, and the JD had a combo position of the two as well. The smooth hitch is nice and I tried Grand L's and B's with 1/4 inching before I purchased my L. I think I am just trying to say that if the tractor someone is looking at is the right size and price for what they need, the slightly jerky 3 pt is not a deal breaker, unless they are doing grading work and do not think they can live with it. I think you would have to be someone that their main priority is grading to have it matter that much. For me the L3800 was just about the perfect size for my current needs. The B3300SU would have been nice, but the loader lift capacity and height just wasn't enough. Just my :2cents:

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L?
since I will be using this primarily for the losder and backhoe. it sounds like the grand L is what I should be looking at.

I was noticing that solme of the undercarriage on the 3800 and 4400 line have exposed bits, and are pretty likely to break off when used in my woods at least. At least my 650 gets a lot of sticks and saplings stuck under the undercarriage

im going out to look at some grand Ls today, thanks for all your help and advice.

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #43  
"As someone else mentioned, sometimes you really don't know how something is supposed to work if you have never used one."

Yes, TripleR. I think most understand that they want the 3 pt hitch to operate very smoothly. My old Ford ('63 4000) and old JD ('74 301A) had very smooth operating 3 pt hitches with draft and position control, and the JD had a combo position of the two as well. The smooth hitch is nice and I tried Grand L's and B's with 1/4 inching before I purchased my L. I think I am just trying to say that if the tractor someone is looking at is the right size and price for what they need, the slightly jerky 3 pt is not a deal breaker, unless they are doing grading work and do not think they can live with it. I think you would have to be someone that their main priority is grading to have it matter that much. For me the L3800 was just about the perfect size for my current needs. The B3300SU would have been nice, but the loader lift capacity and height just wasn't enough. Just my :2cents:

Yep, like I said, I have used everything from terrible to great and learned to live with them and as the Lxx00 Series is a good seller the jerky hitch is certainly not a deal breaker for many. I have used and owned a few tractors and haven't found one I wouldn't change something about; gotta look at the total package.

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #44  
I under stand what you mean. But, try setting your idle at 1500 rpm (or wherever you like your pump gpm output), then engageing your Auto-throttle. This way it still functions, but you have set a lower limit so you have the minimum timing you need. Philip.

Philip,
good suggestion, thanks. I actually did that once unintentionally, but it's kind of like having a variable low idle set...dial in your "floor"rpm and speed up from there.
I'll have to try that. Drew

one thing is for sure, the three point hitch isn't jerky on mine. The operator sure is though...:eek:

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L?
So I went out and sat in one over the weekend, I was a little bit confused by the hydro options, the sales guy was not very sure either, but we had fun talking about it. Based on this I think that the L3540 is what I need.

a couple more questions though?
1) at the very bottom of the tractor, about in the middle between the front and back, and right about where I would expect to find a drain-plug was this aluminum looking bolt with this funny nipple at the end. it kinda looked like the open valve from the fuel bowl. it looked pretty delicate and like it would rip off the first time I got anywhere near real dirt.
does anybody know what this thing is, and what it would cost to replace? or is this really made of the same stuff that they make black boxes out of?

2) running a PTO implement when not sitting at the seat? Specifically I have a chipper that I use all of the time on my smaller tractor. with the seat-safety switch turning off PTO operation whenever I stood up, I don't see how I could use this? is there an override that I'm not aware of? or should I just invest in a sack of potatoes? (in understand that this new tractor has the potential to twist-tie up the chipper I have, but a bigger chipper would also be a possibility with this new tractor)

3) third function operation, what does that switch look like? I figure that I'll need one if I get a grapple, and that's one of the primary reasons for getting this tractor is the ability to get one. anybody have pictures that they'd care to share? factory versus aftermarket?

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #46  
Watch this you tube video to learn all about HST +.. show this to the dealer too:) :

Kubota HST-Plus Transmission - YouTube

You must be referring to the bellhousing drain pin.. You push it to let out moisture once in a while.. Very few have ever ripped one off. Not much of a problem.. You get up from the seat and then pull it up further within 2 seconds , that is how the standard L's work anyway to keep the PTO turning. The 3rd function will have two buttons or a rocker switch on the loader control. If you want to though you can just use a rear remote to run a grapple. some guys like it about as well, some don't.

James K0UA

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #47  
3) third function operation, what does that switch look like? I figure that I'll need one if I get a grapple, and that's one of the primary reasons for getting this tractor is the ability to get one. anybody have pictures that they'd care to share? factory versus aftermarket?

Here is one type.

The picture is the same type used for rear remote diverters. :cool:

Attachments

• P1020290.jpg
    P1020290.jpg
    578.7 KB · Views: 170
  • P1020037.JPG
    P1020037.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 168
  • P1020036.jpg
    P1020036.jpg
    606.5 KB · Views: 243
  • P1020047.jpg
    P1020047.jpg
    724.7 KB · Views: 316
   / What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #48  
If you are thinking about a L3540 with a LA724 loader, and you can afford to go up to a L3940 I would suggest you do so. Here is why, from my own experence.

When I bought my 3240 I got the 724 loader over the 514 loader because it would lift 1865 lbs at the pivot pins, while the 514 is only 1351 lbs. BIG DIFFERENCE. What I didn't know, was that the ratings were taken from two different tractors with different operating pressures !
The 724 tests were taken from a 3940 which operates at 2770 psi, while the 3240 and the 3540 only has 2620 psi. So I'm not getting anywhere near the lift cap that I thought I was going to get.

Bottom line is you can lift more with the same loader if it's on a 3940.
If your getting a LA514, well, never mind.:ashamed:

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #49  
That thing in the middle as was pointed out is the drain, never ever had anything come out of mine and yes I bent one on my L5030 and never bothered fixing it. I haven't checked my L5740 lately, but it was OK when I looked and I go through some really, really rough stuff including saplings in the 3" range.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/178159-what-heck.html

James KOUA posted a good link on the HST+, it took me a while to learn to use mine to full effect, but the dual range feature made it worth the cost right off the bat for me.

I didn't bother getting a third function valve on mine, but they can be added by your dealer, some like the ones from Kubota and some prefer aftermarket ones.

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #50  
The way to use the rear PTO when not on the seat is to set the parking brake and flip the seat forward against the steering wheel.