Comparison What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L?

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #1  

Jeff The Tall

Tractor
John deere 650
I'm looking at the L3540HST versus the L4600HST

I'm looking at these primarily due to the 9' backhoe, which I expect to be using a lot.
according to build my Kubota, these will both take the same BH, whereas the L3800 will only take the 7'?

the 4600 has 9HP more than the L3540, so what does the 3540 have other than rubber floor mats that the 4600 does not?

I'll be using this on 20 acres of mostly trees. my JD650 is not capable of doing the construction projects that I've been trying to start.

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #2  
:welcome: to TBN

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #3  
The 3540 is about 200 pounds heavier without the loader than the 4600. The 3540 has the hst plus which you won't think you'll need until you start using it, it's nice. The loader on the 3540 will lift a little more by looking at the sales book I've got. The Grand L tractors are nice, I've got a 3240 and love it. The 4600 is nice too, I looked at one before I got a good deal on this one used. Go to the dealer and test drive both. Probably can't go wrong with either one.

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #4  
The 3540 is about 200 pounds heavier without the loader than the 4600. The 3540 has the hst plus which you won't think you'll need until you start using it, it's nice. The loader on the 3540 will lift a little more by looking at the sales book I've got. The Grand L tractors are nice, I've got a 3240 and love it. The 4600 is nice too, I looked at one before I got a good deal on this one used. Go to the dealer and test drive both. Probably can't go wrong with either one.

Check for jerky hitch if you buy the L4600

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #5  
I'm looking at the L3540HST versus the L4600HST

I'm looking at these primarily due to the 9' backhoe, which I expect to be using a lot.
according to build my Kubota, these will both take the same BH, whereas the L3800 will only take the 7'?

the 4600 has 9HP more than the L3540, so what does the 3540 have other than rubber floor mats that the 4600 does not?

I'll be using this on 20 acres of mostly trees. my JD650 is not capable of doing the construction projects that I've been trying to start.

Well to start with, you will be sure that you will have a smooth operating 3pt hitch with the L3540. With the L4600, you don't really know what you will end up with. The std L models seem to all have potential problems with their 3pt hitches. :( That right there would put me into a Grand L. I do a lot of grading and cannot have a jerky 3pt hitch. Set on the tractor and get a feel for where all the controls are. I don't know if they are different from one model to the next, I do know that after hours and hours on the machine, you want them where they are comfortable for YOU to be operating. I imagine that the L3540 either has more goodies that come with the tractor or at least has more goodies available as an option. I just priced them both out as close as possible to how I would want each of them and the L3540 was $35K and the L4600 was $32,700. The option selection is not as good on the L4600 IMO.

Good luck with your choices. ;)

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #6  
The grand L line is Kubota's full feature line tractors. The HST+ transmission is the best that's currently being made for compact tractors today. Instead of going into detail I'll give you a link to Messick's Kubota. They have a real nice write up about it and some videos to watch.
Proper Operation of the Kubota HST+ transmission

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #7  
Telescoping lower links and sway bars. Worth a lot when hooking up, and will reduce your swear word vocabulary. Better seat, more ergonomic loader control stick location at the operator position. Not that the standard L's are bad, just the Grand L's are a little more refined.

James K0UA

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #8  
Check for jerky hitch if you buy the L4600

wrong tractor. L4600 is a GL30 with basic sheet metal. Thats limited to the L32/L38. To this day, I've yet to see one myself that jerks. One of our shops did have one unit that was problematic.

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #9  
I like the Grand L's because of the HST plus and even more than that, the integral loader valve. More convenient to operate plus it makes right side mounts dismounts accessible.

/ What's the difference between the GrandL and Not-So-Grand L? #10  
wrong tractor. L4600 is a GL30 with basic sheet metal. Thats limited to the L32/L38. To this day, I've yet to see one myself that jerks. One of our shops did have one unit that was problematic.

I hate to disagree with a Kubota dealer, but from what I've read here on TBN, that is not correct. People have reported the jerky hitch on all standard L models as well as MX models. With the number of reports of the issue, it's hard to understand how you've never seen the issue and nobody's ever complained.

As for the difference, the grand L line is simply bigger, heavier, stronger and full featured. The standard L cuts corners in favor of lowering costs. I'm not saying it's a bad tractor, but there are both major and subtle differences that would narrow my choice to only the Grand L.