Buying Advice M5640SU

/ M5640SU #1  

Notforhire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L47TLB
I presently have a L3240 w/la724 loader. I would like to go up in FEL capacity to over 2000#. Limited funds reduce the choices quite a bit. I would like a utility size tractor rather than a CUT. I'm thinking about a 2WD M5640SU. I was wondering if anyone had one of these tractors with a loader, and would comment.

Thanks, Bill

/ M5640SU #2  
I looked deeply into getting the 5640 myself. If it were me I would stay away from the 2wd myself. The 5640 isn't much heavier than my 5100 and even with rim guard in the tires and two sets of wheel weights with my skidding winch on the back it's still pretty useless in 2wd when the loader is on. I think the 5640 would be a dandy tractor though. I would have one now if it was offered with a hydraulic shuttle tranny.

/ M5640SU #3  
You have serious loader work. Get the 4wd... makes a huge difference when there's a lot of weight on the FEL. You'll still need weight in the back, though.

/ M5640SU
You have serious loader work. Get the 4wd... makes a huge difference when there's a lot of weight on the FEL. You'll still need weight in the back, though.

A counterweight isn't a problem, I use one all the time on my 3240 unless I'm just moving real light stuff.
I have found that on that small tractor 4wd is necessary. Before adding wheel weights, I could barely back up a slight slope on loose gravel with an empty bucket, and yes, the tires are loaded. With the counterweight on I leave it in 2wd with no issues, even with a loaded bucket.

The 4wd on the 5640 only presents one problem. Paying for it.
Adding 4wd just puts the price beyond my reach. I would love to have 4wd. I think it's one of the best features of modern tractors, but unlike the US Govt. I can't just print more money. Even at 0% they still want you to pay them back:D.

I would be nice if I could get by with a 2wd. I'm mostly moving objects/ pallets, round bales, ect, rather than digging, or grappling logs in the woods. Most of my area is flat or just slightly sloping.

I was supprised to see that there is only 451 lbs difference between these two tractors (with out loading the tires.) The M has a much heaver rear differential, and I expect that a good chunk of the weight is there. If the rear tires of both tractors are loaded with rim guard the difference in weight increses by another 492 lbs, because of the much larger tires on the 5640, making the total difference 943# .

Bill

/ M5640SU #6  
We have an M8540 with loaded tires and it still needs 4WD to effectively use the FEL; yes, on flat land with sufficient ballast on the back a person can get by, farmers did it here for many, many years and I have driven them. Many compensated by adding dual wheels, as mentioned, workable, but far from optimal.

/ M5640SU
We have an M8540 with loaded tires and it still needs 4WD to effectively use the FEL; yes, on flat land with sufficient ballast on the back a person can get by, farmers did it here for many, many years and I have driven them. Many compensated by adding dual wheels, as mentioned, workable, but far from optimal.

Thank you for passing on your experence.
About 25-30 years ago I had a Farmall 504 2wd with loader, and it worked fairly well. That tractor was only about 40hp but it weighed almost twice as much the 5640. As I'm sure you know optimal costs about 25% more than workable. I thought about used VS new, but with 0% it would need to be a real good deal for used to be worthwhile. Most deals like that only show up about two weeks after I buy something.
I know that sometimes I end up spending more money while trying to save some. If I had purchased the 5640 instead of the L3240 the 4wd would have been more affordable. Now I'll have to suffer about a 3k hit, that would have been 3/5 the cost of 4wd on the 5640.

I need to look at my options some more. I would rather continue with what I have, which is workable, than spend more on something that isn't.

Worry, worry, worry, trouble, trouble, trouble........:laughing:

I do think you need a wider barn!:eek:

Thanks, Bill

/ M5640SU #8  
The 4wd on the 5640 only presents one problem. Paying for it.
Adding 4wd just puts the price beyond my reach. I would love to have 4wd. I think it's one of the best features of modern tractors, but unlike the US Govt. I can't just print more money. Even at 0% they still want you to pay them back:D.

I would be nice if I could get by with a 2wd. I'm mostly moving objects/ pallets, round bales, ect, rather than digging, or grappling logs in the woods. Most of my area is flat or just slightly sloping.

I was supprised to see that there is only 451 lbs difference between these two tractors (with out loading the tires.) The M has a much heaver rear differential, and I expect that a good chunk of the weight is there. If the rear tires of both tractors are loaded with rim guard the difference in weight increses by another 492 lbs, because of the much larger tires on the 5640, making the total difference 943# .

Bill

I hear you regarding paying for it, Bill. Can't tell you what to do, but just noted something else you might consider... the MX4700/5100 models. Considerably upgraded loader vs. your 3240 and the basic tractor might save you enough to go with the 4wd. Looks to me from the Kubota website that a 4wd MX4700 with loader will price out within about $2k of the the 2wd M5640 with loader. There have been several owners here on TBN who said their MX models handle large round bales nicely.

/ M5640SU #9  
the mx4700 5100 dont have a strong enough fel cap my 1153 on my 7040 maxed out at 1800ibs at 800mm

/ M5640SU #10  
Thank you for passing on your experience.
About 25-30 years ago I had a Farmall 504 2wd with loader, and it worked fairly well. That tractor was only about 40hp but it weighed almost twice as much the 5640. As I'm sure you know optimal costs about 25% more than workable. I thought about used VS new, but with 0% it would need to be a real good deal for used to be worthwhile. Most deals like that only show up about two weeks after I buy something.
I know that sometimes I end up spending more money while trying to save some. If I had purchased the 5640 instead of the L3240 the 4wd would have been more affordable. Now I'll have to suffer about a 3k hit, that would have been 3/5 the cost of 4wd on the 5640.

I need to look at my options some more. I would rather continue with what I have, which is workable, than spend more on something that isn't.

Worry, worry, worry, trouble, trouble, trouble........:laughing:

I do think you need a wider barn!:eek:

Thanks, Bill

We seem to have the same luck, really good used units came available a month or so after I bought my last two new tractors. I pay cash, so the savings would have been significant; story of my life I suppose. I have found after my 60+ years on this earth, about every time I try to buy less to save money, I lose in the end as I buy twice.

Exactly right on the "workable v optimal", I spent most of my life living with the "workable", buying used with my brother and fixing them up, he is a really good mechanic and I, well I worked as supervisor, so I am pretty good at watching.:laughing:

Yeah our barn is well over a 100 years old and no one was using tractors much back then. Our renters use most of it to store their tractors and equipment while I use a couple of bays for my tractors and camper. They have gone over to all John Deere 7000 and 8000 Series tractors, but kept a couple of old IH for sentimental reasons. They use to use that tractor to mow our pond levies, but we reforested a lot of our land and there aren't many places it will fit on. I don't know what they do with it on their farm if anything.