Replaced the Old 8N

/ Replaced the Old 8N #1  

Glenn McBride

Had my new L3710 HST delivered Wednesday afternoon and took off the rest of the week to work(play) with it. What a bummer. Off and on rain Thursday. Had to visit my mom in the hospital Friday. Only 5 hours on it so far.

Dealer was great. Spent about an hour going over all the controls, where filters and oil checks were, and all the basics. Went to top the diesel and realized he hadn't shown me where it goes but that was pretty obvious.

So far, have managed to put some stumps on a burn pile, move some huge rocks to a wash area, get it stuck so bad had to use the loader to push out. The traction on the R4's has been great. Thanks to all who pushed for them and the HST. Dealer made using the loader easy. Took me quite a bit of time but finally manage to pick up a 10 ft. long long and move it to he brush pile. Thought I had it down until I went to dig, drove my load a hundred feet, and dumped a shovel full of dirt! Got better after a couple of hours though. Just need lots of practice.

One question has come up (only one so far, sure I'll have more). When I put it into 4wd, it seems awful hard to get it out. Is there a trick to it? The manual says how to engage the front wheels but nothing about disengaging them. So far, the only way I have found is to with the tractor off. Either that or I just need to push harder than I felt comfortable with.

Best part was when the wife and I came home yesterday. She looked at the Old 8N next to the new one and said it sure looked wimpy now. It probably helped that I had moved some 300 pound rocks out of the yard that she has complained about for a couple of years.

Thanks to all!

Glenn

/ Replaced the Old 8N #2  
Re: Replaced the Old 8N { Glenn}

.........................CONGRATULATIONS...................... Glenn on your new purchase.
I found out shifting out of 4wd to 2 wd flat ground works better.
Just take your time getting to know your Kubota,and think of it more as fun not as work.
May you have many happy hours with your new Kubota as we all have had and still do.
Take care and kick those tires and like the fire and let the fun begin. :eek:)

/ Replaced the Old 8N #3  
Glenn,
When disengaging 4WD, steer right or left to allow the torsion on the front drive shaft to relax. You will find the feel for this with time. All of the operations of the HST/PTO/4WD and differential lock can be done without undue force if done properly.

TIP
HST Range: If lever does not move easily from Neutral to in gear, try pressing the HST foot control very slightly as you apply gentle pressure to the gear selector. It will slip in easily.

PTO: Same senario as HST but push clutch in fully and release to allow the gears to move again. The PTO (as others) are gears that must be aligned to engage. The PTO is the only control that should NOT be done partly engaged. Repeated cycling of clutch/PTO attempt/clutch is necessary.

4WD: If lever does not engage/dis-engage easily, turn right or left slightly and apply gentle pressure, it will engage easily.

Differential Lock: Same as 4WD, gears must align to allow the foot pedal to be depressed enough to lock the differential. Either a sligt turn (big tires mean slow differential rotation) or allowing one of the wheels to spin/slip (ONLY SLOWLY) helps. DO NOT engage differential lock while spinning a wheel fast.

My thoughts, Pete

B2710/LA401/4690

/ Replaced the Old 8N #4  
Getting in and out of 4wd simply requires that you take the pressure off the gears to engage them. My Kubota is a gear drive and you have to barely move the tractor with the clutch and then push it in to shift in or out. Works very easy. With the Hydrostatic, I am sure that just a slight nudge of the transmission is all that is required UNLESS you are on a hard surface (very bad in 4WD as it allows the shafts to twist up under the strain). If you have a loader, push it down and lift the front wheels, comes out every time! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif