questions on B2320

/ questions on B2320 #1  

debp

Tractor
Kubota L3400
We are about to buy our first tractor, as we have recently moved to 5.4 acres of old pasture land in SW Colorado. Based on advice from the general forum, I went to our local Kubota dealer today and tried out 3 Kubotas we were considering - a B2320 (gear) and L3200 (both DT and HST). I like the B2320 the best by far, as it was very easy to shift and move around, and I liked the smaller size- and smaller price. However, I realize that the L3200 would be better for moving the heavy snow we get here and for other occasional bigger work. So here are the questions we have about the 2320.

What are the implications of a "transmission PTO?" Is it a big problem for mowing tall grass with a brush hog?
We would like to cut our pasture grass when it is tall and still green to use for compost (not using as a pasture now) - can the 2320 handle that kind of mowing if we have a 4' brush hog?
If we get ag tires, will chains fit on the tires?
I lamented the lack of quick release loader, and the dealership said they could put on a non-Kubota quick release for about $400. Does anyone know if that would be a good option? We may want to eventually get a front plow blade.

Trying these machines today, I was thinking how much easier it would be to move around the ditch and garden edges, landscaping around the house, in the (future) orchard with the B vs. the L. I don't think we would use a belly mower or snowblower, so it is the price and size that are attractive with the B2320. I also didn't particularly like the location of the gear shift in the L3200 DT, and didn't enjoy the HST that much - though I did read the comment about the torn meniscus and the advantages of an HST as we age - so am considering that, as I'm sure we could get used to it quickly.

Thanks for any input.

debp

/ questions on B2320 #2  
I had a B2320 gear drive with ag tires. Also used a tiller and 4' bush hog on it. Have bought 15 Kubotas and it was my first and last gear drive. It will handle a 4' bush hog with no problem. It did not have a FEL: so had to add weights to front to keep it from doing wheelies. Would never have a tractor with FEL geared, well will never have any tractor again that's geared. You let the clutch out with geared and it goes at the speed you chose by the gear you chose. If to slow/fast then clutch, stop, change gear then go again which also stops the bush hog or tiller. With HST you determine your speed by just pushing the pedal and let off of the pedal and you stop and tiller and bush hog keep turning. Just one mans opinion, mine.

/ questions on B2320 #3  
i would look at the b series or a small l series like an L 3200 since you will be going orchred work in the future the l is on a bigger frame a little more fel cap more pto horse power for a 5 foot rotary cutter

/ questions on B2320 #4  
JOHNTHOMAS has owned about everything but an M Series and makes some good points.

I don't quite have the aversion to geared units as John. In many cases, we can adapt to and learn to live with just about anything if we "have to", question is going to be will the positives outweigh the negatives. I "can" use a transmission PTO and did it for years, I just much prefer not to have to and only buy independent PTO, might be able to live with live PTO on an HST. With the transmission PTO it is hard to keep the cutter going and change gears/directions. Good point on the whole aging thing, just an unknown, I own tractors I can't use and moved them to another farm where my brothers use them, one older and one younger, you just don't know what the aging process will bring. My dad was operating geared tractors until he died at 79. I still operate geared tractors, but they have Hydraulic Shuttle Shift which is not available in the small tractors.

The quick attach is well worth it to me, but keep in mind it will probably move your lift point further out and reduce your loader capabilities to some extent, so if you are operating on the margins, it may be important. For me the convenience is worth any reduction in performance. I use pallet for quite a bit and occasionally remove just the bucket to reduce weight and get better visibility.

Full disclosure, I don't much care for the Bxx20 Series or Lxx00either and much prefer theBxx30 and newer Bxx50 due to added weight and features plus position control and like the Grand L over standard L, but the cost increase is significant and many really like the economy models, so an actual owner will be able to give you better advice than I.

I realize this is a Kubota forum, but feel compelled to advise, if you have not already done so, to look at all the competitors.

/ questions on B2320 #5  
I just turned in my B2920 for a L3540. The B is a great series tractor. You can use it and adapt it to just about whatever task you are trying to accomplish. It will handle a rotary mower excellent when matched properly. As far as pushing snow the heavier tractor is definitely nicer, but the B will do it without issues. I do a fair amount of plowing so the weight is nice. So how much snow are you moving? I plow a small subdivision in the thumb of Michigan, we really don't get tons of snow. If I was just doing my driveway (150') I would stuck with a 4 wheeler. Now some of these guys get snow dumped on them it seems weekly that blows my mind. So match you equipment with its task.

I love the b series but it does have limitations. I was never a fan of 1/4" valving on the 3 pt. write down all your goals of a tractor and know your budget. I would strongly suggest the L series. It really steps you up tractor class. Just as the B does over the BX.

Good luck and happy tractoring....

/ questions on B2320
Thanks for all the replies. I can see I haven't learned all I need to know yet, though, especially about 3 pt. What is 1/4" valving and what are the alternatives?

Deb

/ questions on B2320 #7  
L series suffers from jerky hitch, some don't mind some do. before you buy put something heavy on your 3 point and slowly lift.

/ questions on B2320 #8  
1/4" valving is a fancy term Kubota came up with for an engineering design mistake they made on their three point lifts. I have it my B7800. I don't like it but can live with it. I will never buy a tractor that has 1/4" valving again.

/ questions on B2320
Sorry to ask question that had been answered elsewhere on a TBN forum back in 2010 - about the 3 pt. hitch types. I now see the basic differences among up-down, 1/4 " valve and position control.

Debp

/ questions on B2320 #10  
If you are looking to compare a B series to an L3200. Look at the B2920. It's 29 HP. Both the B2620 and B2920 are available only with HST, while the B2320 is available as both gear drive and as HST. The nice thing about HST is that when you are cutting the high pasture grass, while the engine is at full throttle to keep the cutter up to speed, you can just use your right foot to maintain your ground speed in order to keep from lugging the engine.