Tractor
    Kubota B2650, Kubota BX1850, RTV900XT Worksite, 1942 Farmall H, 1950 Ford 8N

Default What size thumb for my bucket?

I am thinking about ordering the bucket Thumb from Greens-Machine for my L3400 with the 463 loader and I am trying to decide what size I need. I was thinking the 20' or the 24'. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Tractor
    L3240HSTC

I have the thumb attachment on my 724 kubota loader with a 66" round back bucket.

First to get a idea of what size you need measure bottom front edge of bucket to top front edge. What ever that measures I would get a couple more inches. Here's why, on my bucket the mounting area is a few degrees sloped back thus is requires more length of thumb arm to reach the bottom edge of bucket. Also if the thumb is a little to long it really doesn't hurt anything and you always have the option of trimming the ends if needed. I will say this, you need a very strong mounting point because this unit creates huge force against the bucket. My HD round back is strong enough but if you bucket is not HD you might have to weld in a plate to beef up the mounting area.

Hope this helps a little. By the way you will LOVE having the thumb its wonderful!!
    Mark 3240HSTC 724 LOADER

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere

Default Re: What size thumb for my bucket?

I'm about to buy a thumb for my BH. I have been reading all I can before I make the move, since I never knew anything about them until a few weeks ago. I had seen them and thought they were neat, but it isn't until recently I started reading and reading and reading. Those pointers about the measurement and the huge forces created are great. Thanks Mark!

Tractor
    kubota L3400

I just installed one on my 3400. Got the 28" worked out well. The 24 would have been too short.

Tractor
    Kubota b2620, LA364 loader.custom rear remotes, THUMB bucket grapple, 60" box blade 72" landscape rake &many other toys

I'm sure my bucket is smaller than yours, but this is how I mounted the 28" thumb. My bucket is only 20" from cutting edge to top lip.
    I love having it, makes doing many things much easier, they should have this option from the factory.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  

Tractor
    Kubota B2650, Kubota BX1850, RTV900XT Worksite, 1942 Farmall H, 1950 Ford 8N

Thanks for the replies, I decided to go with the 28" and I'm working on mounting it. It looks like it will fit well!