Suggestions for new tractor and attachments...

/ Suggestions for new tractor and attachments... #1  

Twrayw

Tractor
None
I don't have much tractor experience and need some suggestions. I'm sure I want a Kubota, just not sure which one would be a good fit for my needs.

I have 17 acres with my homesite, 1/2 wooded, 1/2 in mostly grass. I plan on using the tractor for a fair sized garden, long gravel driveway maintaince, some light clearing, and moving wood around.

After some research it looks like a L3800 with front end loader would be a good start. Also need some suggestions on what attachments I would need for a garden.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions....

/ Suggestions for new tractor and attachments... #2  
Welcome. IMO that is an excellent choice. I have a L3200hst that I use on 100 acres for pretty much the exact same purpose you noted. I would have preferred to get a larger tractor but that is all that would fit in the barn without removing the loader. Was thinking it would be too small but it has been perfect. A larger bush hog would be nice on occasion but other than that it is all I need. I have a box blade I use for our 1/4 mile driveway, a tiller for food plots (use for garden) and an auger as well. You may want to consider the quick attach for the loader. Have a set of pallet forks that come in more than handy. The L3200/3800 is light so make sure you have the rear tires filled.

/ Suggestions for new tractor and attachments... #3  
Good advice far.Roto-tiller,box blade(with scarifiers),may-be an inexpensive($150.00) middle buster for breaking ground in the garden.Brush-hogs are nice for rough cuts.Most will advise to load the rear tires for ballast.I would suggest the HD bucket,a couple weld on hooks and may-be a tooth bar(a little better digging).

/ Suggestions for new tractor and attachments... #4  
why not step up to the mx5100 an have all the power youll need todo anything you want.an get a 3pt tiller to work your garden.an a boxblade to maintain your driveway.

/ Suggestions for new tractor and attachments... #5  
Twrayw,

Define your garden size, 50'X50', 50'X100'? If less than 50'X100', you may be money ahead to consider a walk-behind tiller rather than implements for your tractor. You can easily tie up $1000 and much more on plow, disk and/or tractor mounted tillers and still have need for a walk-behind for weed control.

I think the L3800 with loader is an excellent choice. I would especially recommend 4X4.

Do you receive any snow?

/ Suggestions for new tractor and attachments... #6  
I'll put my 2 cents in. I use my tractor for all of the things you mentioned. I wouldn't be without my HST and I've owned or used gear, shuttle shift, and HST. I love my 6ft 3 point tiller. The box scraper and blade do a pretty good job on the 1/4 gravel drive. My 37 hp runs the 6ft rotary cutter just fine in the tallest pasture.

I will also say, I bought my tractor used, 4 years old with under 400 hrs. at quite a discount compared to new. It's still worth almost what I paid for it 10 years ago with under 700 hours on it. If I had to do it again I'd do it the same way.

Kevin

/ Suggestions for new tractor and attachments...
Thanks for the imput, we only get a significant snow every 2 or so years, but it will be nice to have a tractor when we do get some snow.

Also looking at the B series, what is the difference between the B3200 and the B3300SU besides the mid point PTO on the B3200.

/ Suggestions for new tractor and attachments... #8  
Twrayw,

I asked about snow because a rear blade works much better on/in snow than a box blade. A rear blade with end plates does ALMOST as well as a box blade on moving dirt. For myself and my area, snowbelt, I would choose a rear blade first and add a box blade later if needed.