Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Default Re: L5740 or wait for L6060?

Quote Originally Posted by sixdogs View Post
    Brakes on the left?
    I haven't seen one, but I am pretty sure it was posted in one of the threads; may be wrong though, if so my apologies. I know the BX25D now has the brake on the left.

Veteran Member

Grand L60 brochure, got it from another thread:

http://www.toplinetrailers.com/documents/L60.pdf
    '11 John Deere 5065M /cab
    '10 Kubota L3940 w/FEL
    '09 JD X720
    '91 CaseIH 5140 Maxxum w/cab
    '78 IH 686 w/M&W Turbo 106 PTO hp w/canopy

Tractor
    Kubota L 5240 John Deere 550 Gator Toro 60 in zero turn Toro 44 in walk behind

TripleR I believe you are correct the brake pedal has been moved to the left hand side where the clutch was. This could get confusing or difficult to use if you have a weak left leg

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

I know I am on the wrong forum, but I would like to throw my 2 cents in here.. I got used to the brakes on the left in about a day of use on my Kioti. No clutch, brakes on the left and 2 pedal hydro.. I am an old guy that hates change as much as the next guy, but I adapted to these changes really quickly. The brakes on the left of course allows you to use turning brakes. I hardly ever use them, but they can be handy once in a while.

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Super Star Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Buppies View Post
    TripleR I believe you are correct the brake pedal has been moved to the left hand side where the clutch was. This could get confusing or difficult to use if you have a weak left leg
    That is pretty much my situation, for years I had to use my right leg to operate the clutch on our tractors and had to quit using those without a flat floor. I realize my situation is unique and as many will have a weak right leg as right, so is moot over all. It was however a major deciding factor for me.

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    I know I am on the wrong forum, but I would like to throw my 2 cents in here.. I got used to the brakes on the left in about a day of use on my Kioti. No clutch, brakes on the left and 2 pedal hydro.. I am an old guy that hates change as much as the next guy, but I adapted to these changes really quickly. The brakes on the left of course allows you to use turning brakes. I hardly ever use them, but they can be handy once in a while.

James K0UA
    James, I have no doubt many can adapt and operate a tractor with left foot brakes. Every tractor we own with the exception of our John deere has them on the right and I routinely get off our M8540 and onto our L5740 and some years ago I had one of those "OH S***" and instinctively hitting the "right" brake pedal on our M8540 kept me out of our pond at a pretty deep spot. I didn't have time to stomp on air then regroup and hit the brakes on the other side.

Certainly nothing wrong with brakes on the left as they are in the majority, I just don't wan them and said this for years. When I got my L5740 I experimented with the cruise control and steering brakes which are very easy to use, with my tires and ground brakes have little effect on the turning radius; traction control in snow etc and in reverse, brakes on the left seem to work better. A moot point anyway since I am definitely in the minority on this.

James, there is no "right" or "wrong" forum when sharing knowledge as far as I am concerned and your input is always helpful.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

I was hoping the 1055 loader would be a lot stronger than the 854 but it is not.
    Roger

Kubota BX2360 & Kubota L4240 with paddle shifter, suicide doors and 24's
    Past Stuff: Ford 8N, Cub Cadet 2206, Bobcat CT235

My Threads

EA Wicked Grapple Build - 3PH Pallet Mover - Harbor Freight QH Mods - L4240 Upgrades - BX2360 Upgrades- How Add a Switch to a Worklight

My YouTube Channel

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post

James K0UA
    Usable split brakes under modulated power [which means on the left w HST] can be handy for sure. OTOH, they can be essential when you find you cannot turn up that hill away from the fence with any other strategy. At that point they become "priceless". This, not totally confirmed at this point, change by kubota is great. My last holdout is for multispeed rear PTO option. I cannot justify premium $ without it in the 50+ HP range, and I buy used instead of new to get it on gear tractors ... even those of lower HP. When HST offers it I will buy.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

They could have made it like the old Cub Cadets, 2 pedals on the left for split braking and 1 pedal on the right that applies both.
    Roger

Kubota BX2360 & Kubota L4240 with paddle shifter, suicide doors and 24's
    Past Stuff: Ford 8N, Cub Cadet 2206, Bobcat CT235

My Threads

EA Wicked Grapple Build - 3PH Pallet Mover - Harbor Freight QH Mods - L4240 Upgrades - BX2360 Upgrades- How Add a Switch to a Worklight

My YouTube Channel

Super Star Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by 94BULLITT View Post
    They could have made it like the old Cub Cadets, 2 pedals on the left for split braking and 1 pedal on the right that applies both.
    I believe TYM also had that on some tractors and seems to be a good idea.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERLK View Post
    Usable split brakes under modulated power [which means on the left w HST] can be handy for sure. OTOH, they can be essential when you find you cannot turn up that hill away from the fence with any other strategy. At that point they become "priceless". This, not totally confirmed at this point, change by kubota is great. My last holdout is for multispeed rear PTO option. I cannot justify premium $ without it in the 50+ HP range, and I buy used instead of new to get it on gear tractors ... even those of lower HP. When HST offers it I will buy.
    larry
    Just curious, what would you need a 1000rpm rear PTO for in that HP range? There's one implement here on the farm that can use 540 or 1000 and that's a Kuhn Disc Mower Conditioner and 60hp is the minimum for it.
    '11 John Deere 5065M /cab
    '10 Kubota L3940 w/FEL
    '09 JD X720
    '91 CaseIH 5140 Maxxum w/cab
    '78 IH 686 w/M&W Turbo 106 PTO hp w/canopy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast