L5740 or wait for L6060?

/ L5740 or wait for L6060? #21  
Brakes on the left?

I haven't seen one, but I am pretty sure it was posted in one of the threads; may be wrong though, if so my apologies. I know the BX25D now has the brake on the left.

/ L5740 or wait for L6060? #23  
TripleR I believe you are correct the brake pedal has been moved to the left hand side where the clutch was. This could get confusing or difficult to use if you have a weak left leg

/ L5740 or wait for L6060? #24  
I know I am on the wrong forum, but I would like to throw my 2 cents in here.. I got used to the brakes on the left in about a day of use on my Kioti. No clutch, brakes on the left and 2 pedal hydro.. I am an old guy that hates change as much as the next guy, but I adapted to these changes really quickly. The brakes on the left of course allows you to use turning brakes. I hardly ever use them, but they can be handy once in a while.

James K0UA

/ L5740 or wait for L6060? #25  
TripleR I believe you are correct the brake pedal has been moved to the left hand side where the clutch was. This could get confusing or difficult to use if you have a weak left leg

That is pretty much my situation, for years I had to use my right leg to operate the clutch on our tractors and had to quit using those without a flat floor. I realize my situation is unique and as many will have a weak right leg as right, so is moot over all. It was however a major deciding factor for me.

I know I am on the wrong forum, but I would like to throw my 2 cents in here.. I got used to the brakes on the left in about a day of use on my Kioti. No clutch, brakes on the left and 2 pedal hydro.. I am an old guy that hates change as much as the next guy, but I adapted to these changes really quickly. The brakes on the left of course allows you to use turning brakes. I hardly ever use them, but they can be handy once in a while.

James K0UA

James, I have no doubt many can adapt and operate a tractor with left foot brakes. Every tractor we own with the exception of our John Deere has them on the right and I routinely get off our M8540 and onto our L5740 and some years ago I had one of those "OH S***" and instinctively hitting the "right" brake pedal on our M8540 kept me out of our pond at a pretty deep spot. I didn't have time to stomp on air then regroup and hit the brakes on the other side.

Certainly nothing wrong with brakes on the left as they are in the majority, I just don't wan them and said this for years. When I got my L5740 I experimented with the cruise control and steering brakes which are very easy to use, with my tires and ground brakes have little effect on the turning radius; traction control in snow etc and in reverse, brakes on the left seem to work better. A moot point anyway since I am definitely in the minority on this.

James, there is no "right" or "wrong" forum when sharing knowledge as far as I am concerned and your input is always helpful.

/ L5740 or wait for L6060? #26  
I was hoping the 1055 loader would be a lot stronger than the 854 but it is not.

/ L5740 or wait for L6060? #27  

James K0UA
Usable split brakes under modulated power [which means on the left w HST] can be handy for sure. OTOH, they can be essential when you find you cannot turn up that hill away from the fence with any other strategy. At that point they become "priceless". This, not totally confirmed at this point, change by kubota is great. My last holdout is for multispeed rear PTO option. I cannot justify premium $ without it in the 50+ HP range, and I buy used instead of new to get it on gear tractors ... even those of lower HP. When HST offers it I will buy.
larry

/ L5740 or wait for L6060? #28  
They could have made it like the old Cub Cadets, 2 pedals on the left for split braking and 1 pedal on the right that applies both.

/ L5740 or wait for L6060? #29  
They could have made it like the old Cub Cadets, 2 pedals on the left for split braking and 1 pedal on the right that applies both.

I believe TYM also had that on some tractors and seems to be a good idea.

/ L5740 or wait for L6060? #30  
Usable split brakes under modulated power [which means on the left w HST] can be handy for sure. OTOH, they can be essential when you find you cannot turn up that hill away from the fence with any other strategy. At that point they become "priceless". This, not totally confirmed at this point, change by kubota is great. My last holdout is for multispeed rear PTO option. I cannot justify premium $ without it in the 50+ HP range, and I buy used instead of new to get it on gear tractors ... even those of lower HP. When HST offers it I will buy.
larry

Just curious, what would you need a 1000rpm rear PTO for in that HP range? There's one implement here on the farm that can use 540 or 1000 and that's a Kuhn Disc Mower Conditioner and 60hp is the minimum for it.