Price Check Price check M5140 vs M6040

/ Price check M5140 vs M6040 #1  

DPTURBO29

Tractor
None Yet
Hey all,

I've been lurking for a while trying to learn something. I thank all of you for your previous posts as they have helped me make a decision - sort of. I am pretty well sold on the Kubota M series tractor. I have a great local dealer and every time I look at the Ms wanting to not spend that kind of money I sell myself on them again. In any case it seems like an M will be coming home with me in about another month (waiting for loan to close on new property).

My question for you all is can you give me some price quotes from your favorite dealers on both the M5140 and M6040 outfitted with the LA1153 loader and front wheel assist. I think I'll add a 3rd function valve to the loader and one (or two) remotes to the rear, but for the sake of apples to apples comparisons to the local folks let's just stick to the tractor, 4x4, and loader with standard valving.

If any of you are dealers out there keep in mind I'm not scared to drive a few hours if it is worth my while. Thanks in advance!

FYI - location is Western Kentucky - haven't had time to fill out my sig yet.

Derrick Pace

/ Price check M5140 vs M6040 #2  
I doubt you will get any reputable dealer to give you a quote on a forum. Best to pick up the phone and start calling.:thumbsup:

/ Price check M5140 vs M6040
Well, that is fine and I get it, but maybe some folks that have purchased an M recently can chime in.

/ Price check M5140 vs M6040 #4  
Have you gone on the Kubota website and built your own tractor? I just did how I would want each model and they listed out for $54k and $56k. But that is decked out with just about everything. Figure 10-15% off of list is what you will end up paying most of the time.

Good luck ;)

Yes, I have. I'm going to go w/ an open station so I'll be a bit less than that. Right now I'm at $33,800 for the 6040 and $31,800 for the 5140 as they sit on the lot (loaders w/ hydraulic shuttles). I'm sure I'll add a couple thousand to either depending on the options I go with. My salesman really tried to push the MX5100 and I have to say I was intrigued, but every time I see it next to the M 5K doesn't seem like much money for so much more machine. If for some reason I decide to step down in price I'll probably go w/ a Kioti. Good dealer about 50 miles away and you get more for your money with the DKSE series than you do with the Kubota 00 series tractors (my opinion).

/ Price check M5140 vs M6040 #6  
Wish I could be of some help, but I remember little discussion here on either of those models and not recently, so no one may have current data. I do agree the M Series is a real nice tractor

/ Price check M5140 vs M6040 #7  
been out of the market, (purchased my 8540 5 yrs ago for 34K!) at any rate if i'm not mistaken, the 5140 is essentially the same as the previous 5040 except w/a small turbo basically for emissions. and the price difference between the 2 has been around 2k. best to look @ specs on site for each, but they are both built on the same frame, same wt. and engine. the 6040 does have approx 10 more hp engine/pto. stepping up to the 7040 gives about the same increment hp increase and with limited slip in ft axle. again, this is based on the older 5040, but think the 5140 is real close if not the same w/the emissions difference. so....is 2+k worth the 10 hp increase? could it be put toward another remote or implements? hard call. good luck

/ Price check M5140 vs M6040 #8  
one thought would be if you ever intended hay...the 6040 may have a slight edge but not a whole lot.

/ Price check M5140 vs M6040 #9  
I have been getting quotes around $29,500 on the 5140HD and $33,000 on the 7040HD. I haven't priced the 6040, but I would think it would be somewhere in between. I'm still kicking around thoughts on Deere and New Holland but I need to lock something down within a week or two.

Sounds like things are a little cheaper the further South you go. I'd say average in my area is 31,33,35 for the 51,60,and 70 respectively.

There is one other difference between the 51 and 60 besides the displacement and hp - standard draft control on the 60 - $400 option on the 51. I'm pretty sure it is literally a small bracket and a piece of all thread that links the top link to the 3pt control mechanism.

I would love to have the 70 w/ limited slip, but I've already talked myself up from a 25K tractor into the 30s. I could buy the 70, but I wouldn't have nearly enough $ left over for the implements I'd like. I'm already shaking couch cushions and checking pockets in clothes I haven't worn in a while, ha!