Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default 3130 GST/HST owners- Get a Hormone!

I am thrilled with my new purchase of a L3130 DT, that's Kubota-ese for standard transmission. In spite of what many readers would consider its plebian transmission, harken back just a few years when shuttle shift was considered state of the art. The DT is there. I test drove a GST and was about to buy it until the dealer revealed this back row special at a SIGNIFICANT discount. These were my observations on the GST: Hey, you had to use a clutch to get it started and stopped (ran through a fence when I didn't understand that part from the dealer), then you had to jerk the left-hand shift lever back to neutral when you didn't want to use the clutch. Considering the front end loader, my thinking was; "My right foot is on the foot throttle, my right hand is on the joy stick, my left hand is steering/jerking the shuttle shift to neutral. All my busy limbs are going to be jealous of my left foot sitting there doing nothing." Guys, we're a concert of motion with our machines. Driving a tractor is every bit as sensual an experience as riding a motorcycle or flying a plane. Nuances, touch, tactile sensations; the joy of operating a tractor is total absorption in the machine that elevates you above the problems of our everyday lives that occupy so much of our waking thoughts. You people are here on this chat line because you want to share feelings with people who understand the joy of creation and vengeful destruction, the satisfaction of looking at a productive day's work, a tractor provides us. Tell me I'm lying about this.

We shed our collars and ties. We become the 21st century version of lumberjacks of the North Woods, tarriers hammering star bits in tunnels, sod busters taming the Great Planes- we are COMPACT TRACTOR MEN! We are MANLY MEN, not girly men. We are not intimidated by clutches, shifting, and standard transmissions! Our left legs don't tremble uselessly because we're not coordinated enough or so weak we can't depress a rubber coated pedal. No, we swagger when we descend from our battle stations of pumping hydraulics and throbbing diesels. We are the direct evolution of our forefathers who carved this great country with Fordsons, Massey Fergusons 35's, and graceful Oliver 88's. We are the men curved-spine husbands envy while they push their wive's shopping carts through the WalMart grocery section. Again, tell me if I'm lying. Tell me if owning and operating your own tractor doesn't raise you at least one step up on the ladder over mere mortals.

You can't. Because you are a COMPACT TRACTOR MAN! You don't need an automatic transmission. You don't need a pedal like a granma's rocking chair to make you go forwards and backwards. You don't need your left hand on a crutch. Put your left foot on a clutch! It's not that hard and it dadgum sure ain't worth a good paycheck to "skirt" the issue; and I think that's an appropriate verb.

Seriously, I had trouble driving the GST because I kept pushing in the clutch. It's habit. I didn't own an automatic transmission in any of my vehicles until 1996. Two of my trucks are still standards and I like driving them as much as an automatic. And you still have to use the clutch with the GST, as I understood it, plus I found the lag time between shifts disconcerting as it was out of my control. I never tested an HST; too expensive plus rockering with your right foot (shades of tank shift Harley Davidsons) seems no easier than clutching with your left foot. Then your right hand is tied up with the throttle instead of being on the joystick while bucketing. My limited experience with a tractor told me distinctly I wanted a shuttleshift on the column, but I found I used the foot throttle while using the FEL, not an option with the HST as I understand it. All this and the fact that the first three paragraphs are written only partially in jest. I wanted a tractor because I wanted it; not because I needed it. I could have rented and still had the tax breaks. I just like owning toys. I've been a private pilot, currently own two new Harleys, have had and still have some muscle cars and hot rods, but I really get a whole new kick out of playing with tractors. I just flat enjoy operating machinery. I think some form of "sissy-fied" transmission would diminish my experience. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Tractor
    JD 790

Default Re: 3130 GST/HST owners- Get a Hormone!

I did not consider a hydro, it just doesn't say "tractor" to me. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

When I am in my truck relaxing an auto is fine but I think it would lessen the tractoring experience for me.

That's pretty funny Lawman. We are polar opposites. Both our vehicles have 5-speed sticks, and w won't own anything else as long as they keep making 'em and our clutch legs work, but our tractor is an HST (mostly 'case that's what the wife wanted - she was intimidated by all the pedals and levers)

Tractor
    JD 790

Our wives are opposites too, my wife said "get the 790 it looks like a tractor" She wanted the older square body, gears, no frills type

In the truck she wanted auto and then she didn't drive it ever anyway.[img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Actually my wife and I were in agreement on both the the truck and tractor.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    L3130

Me, I like the hydro for all the loader work and landscaping. Can't beat the ease and productivity IMO. If all I did was field work would be different story.

Veteran Member

Man - you are soooooo not politically correct. You can't call hydro owner/drivers wimps (or the equivalent) just because they can't figure out how a clutch works....it's just too mean. But it's probably okay, because if they go to kick you in the butt, their left leg is too weak to kick with and it probably wouldn't hold their weight if they kicked you with their right leg.

Seriously, I agree with you comments - I like tractors to be tractors. My wife drives our tractors (which have all been gear drive, although the Kioti has a mechanical shuttle, which I really like). She drove the Belarus that we had quite a bit, and if there was ever a contraption with a more confusing amalgam of levers and knobs, I haven't seen it. All of our vehicles, except the '75 Ford truck, are all stickshift. I've driven a couple of HSTs and they just didn't do it for me.

I think, too, that I've finally figured out what an advantage of HST is. It comes from having too weak of a tractor, HP wise. With either the Belarus or Kioti (57 and 45 HP, respectively), they could be idling between 500 and 800 RPM and still easily pull full trailers of tobacco, hay or junk up hills while still in a relatively high gear, and thus you can go slow but still have power. If you need to speed up, just bump the throttle and faster you go, bump it back to slow down. With HST, you get the advantage of running your engine 2000-3000 RPM, whatever the prime powerband is, as you poke around with your foot on the rocker peddle.

In conclusion, good post and I hope everybody else thinks it's as funny as I did.

Tractor
    kubota l3830 hst/723 fel

we're a stick in our diesel truck and hydro on tractor.wife would kill me if we had a gear and i was hooking something up to the bucket.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    YM 187 Yanmar / JD 790

Cuzncletus:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

loved it, and ya mine has a stick

Whiskey

Tractor
    Kubota L3130 HST

Obviously you "boys" haven't figured out that a clutch is not a substitute, nor a requirement for manhood. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] It's interesting that cuzncletus has come to the conclusion that those of us with HST are somehow whimps for not pushing in a clutch, while having never driven one of kubota's fine shiftless tractors. Hummm.

I, on the other hand - drove both before deciding on the HST. My goals were evidently different as I was interested in working my land and not my body. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I do own and drive a "clutch" - quite often I might add, but I do it for fun - not for work. I might suggest that cuzncletus send back his new fangled tractor and get a real "mans" workout. I think you can still pick up a couple of mules and a plow for less than a grand. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Disclaimer - all of this is in jest and comes from my "manly" sense of humor. I'd give the original post the coveted laughing Kubota Man award!

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4330DT & B7510HSD

Great Post!!! Can't say that was entirely the reason for my purchase of an L4330DT (the real reason was a desire for power and simplicity and because I'm so tight I make Lincoln scream sometimes [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ), but I definitely got a good laugh from your post. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

FarmNut

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast